50 posts... SENIOR MEMBER?! NOOOO!!!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pante, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Sorry took it the wrong way, reading words can do that...........all is well on this end.....cool w/ you?

2. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Since there is so much discussion on the forums these days with a heap of new games I agree it should be boosted

My idea is also based on time as well as post count

0-100 Posts = Junior Member (No time on forums needed)
    100-250 Posts = Member (Need to have had your account for two weeks)
    250+ Posts = Senior Member (Need to have had your account for one month)

This will mean that all these spammers will hopefully be caught before the Senior Member rank or get bored at junior member and spam another site

It will make it alot harder to become into the 'Senior' Catergory

3. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Haha. Yea, were cool.

That's one of the things that bothers me about the Internet. ( not being able to convey your meanings properly through text):)

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    You can put a post count on it, you can put a time limit on it, or for that matter you could even put a count of the number of emoticons used on it, the labels still won't matter. The fact is I've seen people with less than 100 posts that have far more quality and usefulness to their postings than some people that have 1000+ posts. I agree with what someone mentioned about the Karma system. While it's still not perfect, at least it's someone else taking the effort to say that someone deserves the ranking they get. A ranking system based solely on the merits of the user being ranked will never be objective or have much meaning at all.

5. Myrobotwillneverdie

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    So, is this like the colored things next to our names?

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I assume you're talking about the colored circle, and I don't actually know what that is. What I'm talking about (at least in the implementations that I've seen) is a system where there's a little thumbs up / thumbs down icon next to a person's name, and other users can click the appropriate icon to raise or lower a poster's karma.

7. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Hey guys guess what? IT DOESN'T MATTER!
    Why should we give immature n00bs another reason to spam the forums? Why???
    The number of posts you have.... who cares?!

8. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    That little colored circle is an indicator which denotes if that member is currently on the forum or not. It changes color if they are on and it is grayed out if they are logged off:)

9. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I am so with this guy.
    I've been here longer than pretty much all of you yet I only have 300 posts. It's the quality of the posts you make, not the number of posts you have.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks! I always wondered what that was about.

11. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Just throwing this out there, but how about we just get rid of the entire ranking system? I could care less if you've been here since the early days or have 2000 posts, and my guess is most people don't either. I come here because I enjoy talking about games, sharing ideas, and hearing what others have to offer. From what I can tell, this is becoming more complicated than it needs to be.

This forum is about games which are supposed to be fun, but honestly, there are times I think people take themselves way too seriously whether it's attacking newcomers or just being straight up bullies who think their view is more important than others.

In some ways, not having a ranking system is probably better than having any ranking system at all. If you're going to have one, then I think it goes back to why you need one and what do you hope accomplish with one.

12. Myrobotwillneverdie

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    My thoughts exactly!
    I don't even really understand what the ranking system accomplishes, or, why people are so driven to rise in it.
    I think most people on here long enough, can usually tell by the persons name and/or previous experience, if they generally contribute worthwhile info, or just spam.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This actually makes a whole lot of sense, so I add my +1 to this sentiment. The only people I could see having labels under their names are people like moderators or developers, just so we know who they are. Not trying to single out developers, either, it would just be cool to know who's providing us the awesome software.

14. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    My sentiments exactly.

15. SuperPaperSam

SuperPaperSam Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    now it is...

0-29 - Junior.
    30-99 - Member.
    100-999999999999 - Senior.

it should be...

0-99 - Junior Member.
    100-199 - Member.
    200-499 - Senior Member.
    500-999 - Addiction.
    1000-1999 - Obsession.
    2000-5000 - Addict.

16. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    No. We don't want noobs having some sort of goal or title that they spam to get there!

17. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    This does make sense. I have seen people bully newcomers or make fun of them which is totally out of line.

Anyway good post Albie!

18. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    It should be at least 1000, I think i reached 50 within my first week.

19. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    Ok, titles are fun :), but I agree with Albie that some people take them way to seriously.

20. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    +1000

I'm tired of seeing people unfairly judged based on their post count. Just because one has a low post count does not make them in any way inferior or inept. Maybe they prefer not to talk (post) a lot. Maybe they joined at the same time as someone with 2,000+ posts but prefer to remain silent & just observe. It's like this on every forum on the internet. The senior members with thousands of posts develop some sort of entitlement complex and a haughty, holier-than-thou attitude. Post counts are meaningless. I vote to 86 the post count.