50 posts... SENIOR MEMBER?! NOOOO!!!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pante, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    i agree to scratch the post count and maybe reset it to zero posts after 2000
    no one cares how many posts you have

and i know i have many posts, and i apologize for that but TA is so darn addicting

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Not sure of the reasoning for a post count to begin with.

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Is there a reason for it other than the title?
    What can a senior member do that a junior member can't do here?

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Nothing at all.

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA

No reason that I'm aware of other than maybe seeing if your a spammer at the get go.

Personally I think the post number under our sig is pretty redundant.

Think the reasoning for this thread is simply trying to differentiate from others and suggesting the use of the number of postings to do this. I suggested alternatives through gaming to achieve some type of badge/medal (what ever you want to call it). But its not for me personally. Just think the younger set want some bling to wear/show while on TA is all. At that age I can under stand where they might be coming from but using post counts is not a good idea and think people should work at things to achieve some type of status if that is where there mind set is at. I have problems visualizing this even getting off the ground personally. Think its something their sounding off to one another actually.
    I seen no difference when I went from junior to senior status. Didn't really notice I was a senior till I read this thread actually.

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Another forum recently posted this message.. so it is possible to turn it off.

"We have long believed that post count is irrelevant, so I've just turned off the displaying of the post count by default.

If you really must see how many posts someone has, you can find it under the Thread Display Options section of the Edit Options page"

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Hmmmm......interesting, thank you.

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I don't think we should implement any kind of ranking system be it by posts, karma, shoe size, whatever. The point of a forum is to bring people with similar interests together to discuss common interests. Because someone has more posts or joined a few months earlier does not make that person better or more knowledgeable than someone else. If anything, a karma system has the potential to create other problems because that can be manipulated just like #of postings.

9. SuperPaperSam

SuperPaperSam Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I think they should be looked up to more than someone that just chooses to site on the side lines. They are adding to the site and answering questions and contributing to the website.

10. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Not all forums use the same software so unless the forum you are referring to is using vBulletin (like this forum) then it may or may not be possible to turn it off.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I guess leaving it as-is would be the best thing to do. I dunno, I kind of like the post count. Kinda like a battle scar! ... yeeeaaah, it's messed up psychology.

12. SuperPaperSam

SuperPaperSam Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    yes you can turn it off i have gone through several forums for my site (manly for FAQ and suggestions) and i had the option on all of them (3) you can add custom names with post count.

13. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I agree. My thought behind karma was if we really needed something, that was better than post count. In the end, though, any ranking system can be manipulated unfairly. I also think turning off the number of posts is a great idea.

14. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #54 Big Albie, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    It's not messed up psychology...I understand where you're coming from. I think we're just making trying to make things way too complicated, and I don't see a point to it.

I hope you don't think I was criticizing you on the karma system because fundamentally, the idea is a good one. I just don't want this forum to open up another set of problems because it gets out of hand.

15. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I disagree to an extent. Often times I see someone with a high post count write comments in a thread like "+1 to that" or "what they said" with no other text to support why they agree with the person they are supporting. Or, they'll make comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed. My first thought is not to look up to these people, but instead to wonder, "gee, are they just posting to boost their post count?" I think displaying the post count can have as much of a negative impact as a positive one. Not to mention that I've seen a lot of disdain from "senior" users to new board members, even though the senior members were once themselves new. It's hard to respect someone with a lot of posts if they dis every newcomer for making the same mistakes they probably made when they were first on the forum.

16. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Didn't think you were, but even if that was the case it didn't really bother me. The truth is that everyone is going to have their own opinion on this subject, and no matter what ultimately happens there are going to be people who aren't happy. Besides which, I wasn't the one who suggested karma in the first place, I just expanded on it :)

17. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    That's the good thing about forums...opinions and plenty of them :rolleyes:

18. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    +1
    :eek: j/k

I completely understand what you mean. This goes back to the whole EDNG debate. I personally have no care for post count. The thing is though, it gives me a sort of senority. Think about it, would you rather give a promo code to a member with 500 posts, or 1? Having more posts show you are more dedicated to this site as well as iDevice gaming.

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Not sure I agree with this argument, especially given that so many developers just slap promo codes on the first post of a thread or hold specialized contests to give the codes away. Neither of those require the recipient to have a high post count (unless the contest is for the person with the highest post count :) ) Again, as some on this thread have even pointed out, there are people who watch and absorb but don't contribute, and the reason they don't contribute is because they don't want to say something inane just to post to a thread. Personally, I think sometimes it takes more dedication to watch and hold your tongue than to speak recklessly.

As for dedication to iDevice gaming, that has absolutely nothing to do with posting to this or any other forum. I could drop out of TA right now (but if you think I will you're sick), and I'd be no less dedicated to my device. This is the best gaming platform I've ever had, and I'm not about to let the 250+ games that I've accumulated in the last 3 months go to waste.

I think in the end we need to leave the rankings just because removing them will make just as many people unhappy as it will make people happy. However, I personally will try to ignore them as much as possible. And if I ever get to the point where I finally develop a game, I will definitely feature it here, and will decide to give out my promo codes based on the quality of people's posts and their apparent desire to have the time of game I've created, not based on their number of posts. Oh, and of course my friends will get them first :D

Finally, I'd like to say (and I hope I'm not overstating this because I don't want to go back and read the entire thread again), that based on the quality of posts here I'd consider everyone in this thread a senior member, regardless of post count. It's nice to see a thread once in a while where everyone can have a mature conversation, even though they obviously don't all agree on the topic or how it should be handled. Kudos to everyone in this thread.

20. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Other Ways

I understand that some want an official status symbol from TA only. But a feature that is not utilized to promote oneself is our profile page. And another way is under our posts which some use for review links, current games played. I know that any newbie can do this too but just another alternative to promote themselves if inclined to do. Again....I'm not one to care about status but just thought to throw out some more suggestions if people really need to differentiate themselves from others. These aren't great alternatives but its something.