80's Flavored "Saturday Morning RPG"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Benny M., Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    We actually had an idea to have fake commercials interrupt gameplay every now and then; but unfortunately production schedules caused us to have to cut that idea -- hopefully we can go back and revisit the idea in a future episode. We're definitely going to integrate numerous cereal references, though.

As for the Wonder Twins reference - awesome suggestion - totally going to happen in a future episode of the game.

2. aricall

aricall Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Tattooist
    Awesome game can't wait to see all the different references that could be worked in. Thundecats ho! Haha

3. Asstasticguy

Asstasticguy Active Member

Nov 17, 2011
    haha it's pretty remarkable that you managed to get a hold of the people who pretty much mangaged to create some of historys most memorable music scores. Very impressive and mad hype!

4. zim804

zim804 Member

Dec 29, 2010
    New Jersey
    commander hood is cobra commander? need any beta testers?

5. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    New Concept Art

...We'll be delivering a stream of concept art of current and future characters for Saturday Morning RPG, so stay tuned!

"Manly Man"
    [​IMG]

"Skeleboar"
    [​IMG]

6. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Well Zim804, stay tuned, because if you're a fan of Harry Partridge keep your fingers crossed, but he may be available to do a future animated game trailer for us!

7. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    Ha! The Fruit Stripe Zebras (my favorite gum growing up) are in the game. Lovin it 80's Saturday morning style.

[​IMG]

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World

9. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks guys!!

We love the fruit stripes gums reference in the game too...every time I see the animation of the zebras, my mouth waters a little bit!

Here's some art taking a look at our transformer references...they'll be showing up in some future episodes. Right now at the studio we're working to put in a better script, better cut scenes, and generally crunching out the end of episode two. We can't wait to let you catch a glimpse of the first two episodes in their entirety...because it's so bad!

Concept Art: SunHowl
    [​IMG]

Concept Art: Gigantitron
    [​IMG]

10. adamans

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    These are sweet. The top one reminds me of the big Shogun Warrior I had as a kids. That toy rocked!

And yes just reading your reply brought back that beautiful gum taste all over again.

-

11. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Awesome!

Hopefully unlike the gum, the game's flavor will last longer than five minutes!

12. adamans

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Ha, Exactly. I remember that too. If only Wonka really was able to make endless flavored gum.

13. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Hey Benny! still watchin this gem! glad to see your workin hard on this baby! CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS!

14. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC

Glad to know! We're getting very close to wrapping up the second episode of the game for the multi-release strategy (first one free, second paid). Our deadline is looking to be February for release of both next year, so hold on just a bit longer! We've re-vamped the game play structure, so once bug fixing is done, we can't wait to get some eyes from folks like the Touch Arcade team on a playable preview. Stay tuned!

15. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Excellent news! Glad to hear this progress. Will be interested to hear the changes.

16. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    If anyone here will be at MAGFest in Maryland next week, we will have Saturday Morning RPG on display for everyone to play! Just look for the Mighty Rabbit Studios booth in the dealers room.

17. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    MAGfest Thanks!

If anyone made it out to MAGfest, I'm sure you're fighting off a case of the sniffles...first 24 hr a day convention for us, and I'll bet everyone was as wiped (though exhilarated) afterwards just like us : )

A special thanks to Adam and team from "Sound The Alarm" podcast for giving us some of their time and talking about us on their site. They gave a little write up about us on STAshow.net http://stashow.net/2012/01/saturday-morning-rpg-preview/

Thanks to everyone who made the event memorable and to Destructoid, Screw Attack, Elder Geek, and n00b Alert for stopping by and checking out our booth and demo. Keep your ears to the grindstone folks, the PR train should be rolling out soon for the release of episodes one and two!

18. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Cool. Can't wait for this to hit the app store. It has nostalgia from my youth written all over it.

19. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    New game poster!

This is a game poster put together for our first episode that our concept artist worked on for us. We kind of like it...in fact, looking to my left, I believe my co-worker has set it as his laptop background!

[​IMG]

20. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Great Podcast if you like indy games!

We were recently humbled with some awesome coverage from a new podcast station called "Sound The Alarm"

If you like some witty banter about games, Ben and Adam will have you laughing your ass off! It sounds to me they're looking to get away from large game companies and want to expand their coverage to smaller/indy game developers. So if you have an indy game you like, or also work for a small studio, tune in and see if you can contact these guys and give them something to write about!