80's Flavored "Saturday Morning RPG"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Benny M., Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Will it also support iOS 3.1? Pretty please? Just noticed this thread and the trailer looks awesome.

2. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    You are missing out on a lot of good games if you are still on iOS 3.1. Just saying.

-

3. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for noticing the difference in processing speed, I know Josh will be definitely taking a look at that. In the meantime, here's an art graphic our environment artist put together to use in our Kickstarter campaign that will be going out this week. Again, appreciate everyone's interest in the game, and we promise it's getting closer and closer to release!

Group Shot
    [​IMG]

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Omg! Seriously I can't wait any longer. Can we have a sneak peak at anymore of the big robots (transformers) art.

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    3.1.2, actually, and as far as I know it is the best one for Ipod 2G performance. So, IMHO, it makes no sense to support 2G without supporting 3.1. Not to mention that I have some old games, which I like to return to, that were never updated to work with iOS 4+.

Will get to the stuff that I am missing when I update my hardware, but I still have quite a bit of a backlog and some Devs continue to release games that support my OS.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not that I know about these things but it seems late in the development for a kickstarter campaign. Is that normal or some kind of backwards 80s retro business model?

7. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    True indeed. We are in fact trying to do smaller games to support older devices as well. Cheers.

-

8. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Kickstarter

Haha, no retro 80's business model! We found the need for a Kickstarter campaign to help make ends meet during the final polishing period of the game. We're setting the goal for a very modest amount because we're just looking for what we need to cover final development cost to get the game shipped and out to the public.

If you want to take a look at the Saturday Morning RPG Kickstarter page, be my guest, we have some new developer commentary on the game in a video trailer where we further discuss what we need the funds for. It's certainly an unorthodox time to do the campaign, but this way we know exactly how much will help us finish the project!

9. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    #69 MightyRabbitJosh, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

Like Ben mentioned, the Kickstarter is going to help us continue as a company during the final stages of development. It's also going to help tremendously with the production of Episode 3, which we hope to roll out within 2 months of the release of the first two episodes.

Episode 3 will see the introduction of the Botchangers - our Transformers homages - and will introduce some exciting new features in the game.

The Kickstarter campaign also gives us the opportunity to make some really cool merchandise (like posters and books) to give away as rewards to donors. I really love tangible merchandise, so I jump at any opportunity I get to make it. :)

If any of you guys would like to pledge, $30 will score you a physical poster and full version of the game with every update coming in for free.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyjosh/saturday-morning-rpg?ref=category

I'll try to provide an answer to the 3.1 question later in the week. I came on to the iOS scene with version 4.x, so I don't fully know what supporting 3.1 would entail. Our other programmer actually released a game for iOS 2, which was subsequently broken when iOS 4 hit - so I can see where you're coming from with not upgrading.

10. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
  11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Try through I might I am unable to determine any release timeframe from this interview short of the fact that Saturday Morning RPG episodes 1-2 are playable and replayable.

I hope you are able to implement thise scenarios through 20 episodes or if updates lull you don't stop with a lot of lose ends or cliffhanger moments.

12. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Any news on progress?

13. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    We've sent some preview builds out to various sites, there should be a slew of news and updates next week. We're pretty anxious as this is the game's first unsupervised trip into the wild. We're crossing our fingers that everyone loves it as much as we think they will.

We're getting very close to being done with the first two episodes - our artists are already hard at work on episode 3. Its got some really cool stuff in it!

undeadcow - We've got a soft lock on March 26th for release. We'll keep everyone updated if we slip from that (if we do, go ahead and blame me instead of Ben, ;)).

14. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
  15. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Just a question:
    Will the new episodes be updates to the game or will they be standalone apps?

16. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Since we want players to be able to transfer choices, stats, and inventory between episodes, we will be doing new episodes as updates.

We are working on a system where we may be able to transfer stats between apps - if that comes to fruition we are going to look into releasing the episodes in chunks (apps with around five episodes each).

We had looked into using online functionality to transfer stats between apps, but decided it wasn't worth it to require an internet connection just to transfer stats.

17. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    I believe that it would be better to have 1 app and be updating it with new content.

18. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Release Date Set!

...Alright, it's time to stop procrastinating. A date has been set for release of Saturday Morning RPG, and we hope you're all in for an enjoyable, original handheld RPG! We're shooting to launch the series March 26th and have been rolling preview builds of the game and have been getting some great response out of it so far. Sorry for the delay for everyone, but we hope it will have been worth the wait!

...on a side note, I'll be at GDC this coming week, so anyone who would like to come and get their hands on the game, I'll be at the Touch Arcade Party Tuesday night at 7 pm!

19. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice! Any word on pricing? Oh, and I'm glad that all the episodes are going to be updates rather than separate apps. I was scared that all the episodes were going to add up to something rather pricey after a while.

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Cool. Can't wait to get my hands on this, its looking fantastic. Only a few weeks to wait. :)