80's Flavored "Saturday Morning RPG"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Benny M., Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    We sure do have a word on pricing! As it stands now, the first episode is going to be free as a general intro to the series and tutorial for new players. The second and future episodes will be 1.99 a piece and offers a more in depth playing experience. This work for you?

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Works for me! I'd pay that for the pure nostalgia alone :) a rpg with tons of things from my youth, seriously even my wife is sick of me telling her about this. :)

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #83 undeadcow, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Initially this price seems fair (although many might prefer an up front price for ep1-3 with separate lite/trail app) but over time $1.99 per episode cold add up ($2 x 20 episodes planned = $40). If the game lives up to my expectations it'll likely be worth $40 but that is higher than the iOS audience is accustomed too. Higher initial price may also help fuel early further episode development; but it looks like the kickstarter campaign was successful so that kight not be necessary. Either way, day one download here.

4. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    We're going to be looking into bundling episodes and/or offering diminished prices for people who have bought all the previous episodes.

The good thing about the episode updates is that we will be gradually adding content into the older episodes. Even if you opt to not buy the new episodes, you'll still get bits and pieces of new content for free.

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking forward to SMRPG... Can the developer formally confirm the 26th release date? How's it looking?

6. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I'm loving what I've seen of this, and think the pricing model you mentioned is fair and should invite plenty of interest. Quality content is always worth buying, especially once you've gotten a good taste of what to expect. I'm hoping to see this soon; any chance of that? :)

7. Phoenixlee

Phoenixlee New Member

Thanks for that, it's much appreciated!

8. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    We met with someone from Apple at GDC who recommended a Thursday release for the game - so we're now slated for either March 29th or April 5th. We should know the exact date at some point this week. We're putting the game out through our chairman's developer account which is in the process of getting approval from Apple - if we didn't have that uncertainty we'd be able to confirm a date right now.

9. waxandwane

waxandwane Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    It looks totally crazy, in a good way really! I was born in 1990 but as I'm European most of this stuff we caught up with only years later... So you basically make me nostalgic for an era I haven't even lived in :)

I suppose I'm right assuming there will be an iPad version?
    Anyways, this really looks like something worth checking out, and the pricing plan in episodes with the first free sounds really good ;)

10. krispydp

krispydp Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Seems legit.

11. AnarKitty

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Glad to hear the release is coming soon, with any luck! :)

12. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC

Absolutely! The game is a universal app and looks beautiful on iPad. To echo Josh's sentiments, we're looking to the April 5th date now for release, but that is still pending successful submission through our publisher. In the meantime, here are the marketing images you'll see for the game when it pops in the App store!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. waxandwane

waxandwane Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Looking forward to it :)

14. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Seriously stop teasing me with pic's :) can't wait to play this. Everytime I see new pics it looks even more awesome.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... Me too. I've been silent about this game but soooooo looking forward to it.

Dammit. Silence broken.

16. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    We passed review with Apple yesterday, so we're definitely launching on April 5th!

Some bad news - we weren't able to get the game running properly on the iPhone 3G and (VERY REGRETTABLY!) had to cut 2nd generation support. The game worked OK on second generation iPod Touch devices, but it still had a very high chance of crashing while loading battles. We just couldn't bring ourselves to launch the game on 2nd generation devices when we knew it wouldn't be reliable. When we tried running it on our 3G, it was an absolute mess with minute long load times. There just wasn't any saving it.

I know some of our fans in this thread are still using 2nd generation devices and I want to apologize with all my heart for not being able to support your device. If you are one of our fans that is stuck on a 2nd generation device - PLEASE SEND ME A PM! I want to make this right, as I know I promised 2nd generation support.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Kudos to developer for sending a personal letter of regret to me for not supporting 3G, classy guys here.

18. AnarKitty

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Great news that this is coming out! I've been following this thread and looking forward to the game a lot - it's a shame that it won't work on earlier devices, but it's much appreciated that you care enough about game quality experience to withhold support for devices it won't do well enough on, rather than disappointing buyers after the fact. I was going to buy this for my roommate for their 2nd gen, but at least I know to hold off now. :)

19. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sweet it's nearly here....... Not long now until ill be playing it :)

20. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Glad to hear there isn't too much disappointment over the loss of 2nd Gen support. We really strove to hit those devices and genuinely hate that we couldn't get good performance on them.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to update this thread with a steady stream of new screenshots to keep excitement rolling until we launch on the 5th.