Universal 9th Dawn - (by Made with Marmalade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #41 Vovin, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

Yes. That's what I was trying to say. Passion! You can feel it within the first two minutes playing: this game is imbued with the devs heart's blood. You really feel the love that went into making it. It's like somebody shares his most beloved dream with you.
    To make it simple: it's just fun to play, addictive and always this "justonemoredungeon"-thing. And, ohhhh, the loot, the loot! It's a bit as fun as in Diablo.

2. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I'm just going to say , I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time. The vid ( thx Sanuku as always ) just has me Jones'n all the more for it. And before today I never even heard of it.

Feels sorta like a Zelda game coming out around Christmas;) well maybe not that much excitement but damn close.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You're totally hyped, dude.

Thank god I am way more *cough*cool*cough*.

4. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks for the video Sanuku!

I'm buying this the very first milli-second this appears in
    the Canadian App Store.

I'm deleting Dungeon Hunter 4, since it is so grind dependant in order
    to progress. I can only play levels over so many times before I loose
    interest.

This looks Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Have a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-a-Dee-Day!

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I've bought many iOS games at/near launch that I ended up having to wait to play because of some crippling bug, bad controls, missing features, or something else because it was the dev's first iOS game. Maybe I'm alone in that? I know that's not always the case, but it makes me happier in the long run if I play it safe.

sanuku, thanks for the video. All to often that is a big part of what helps me make my purchasing decisions.

In the end this looks like a no go for me. It just seems too dark and the sprites seem too small for my old eyes. I do like that it's lit partially based on proximity to the torches... but, my eyes were tired after the video which makes me think on the smaller iphone screen they may be more strained.

Still, I'm interested in opinions... maybe someone will dig into the menus and come back and post how there's a brightness setting in the game or that it looks fantastic on the 4S or something. I'm open to coming back round as I LOVE games with plenty to explore.

6. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    #46 oldgamer dude, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    I sympathize with you night, and I've got pretty old eyes too ;) But I love the genre and If I can read War Hammers quest's text and play crimson heart and epic hearts and the Kemco titles - which are all tiny I can handle this for sure.

Of course I'm using an iPod touch 5 which might be a wee bit easier on the eyes. Plus I've been gaming on a touch since they've been out so my eyes are used to that small screen. My head would probably explode if I played on an iPad. I do want the retina mini that's coming out though :)

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm really excited to get to 9th Dawn myself. I hope it's as good as it looks/sounds.

8. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    same here for the moment this would be my only purchase of the night

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Regarding image brightness, it's possible the smaller sceenshots in Sanuku's first post aren't the best representation. Here are some other examples that appear less dark or distorted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    It is, I spent a few hours with it on android before I got rid of my nexus 7 last month. It really is a fun game, large open area to explore, quests to complete, loot to collect, and enemies to kill you. I'm just really happy it's on iOS finally, come on 11!

11. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    This is probably a really stupid question, but how can I find this game at midnight as they don't seem to show on the search for quite a while? I've tried for a few others and only been able to find them by searching other games from the same developer and then clicking the see more, but I can't find any other games by 'Made with Marmalade'? :eek:

12. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    They will post an article at 11:00pm eastern with links to all the games being released, not sure if that helps depending on where you're from.

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You can always use the iTunes link in the first post of a thread to access a game; even if that link is sourced from another country (New Zealand in this case) it will still direct you to that game in the App Store region you are logged into.

Here's the 9th Dawn link: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/9th-dawn/id627525184

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #54 Ravenblack, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    It is a bit dark on my normal brightness setting -- which is usually set to about 20% of the brightness bar. All is well with just a tweak more bright.

How do I open a gate..?

An interaction box comes up but there's only a "Back" button...If the gate is lock, it's not telling me. (Or maybe that's how it tells me..ha)

15. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Anyone else having lag issues when walking though large areas (like the main map)?

16. Valorware 2

Valorware 2 Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    #56 Valorware 2, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Hello everyone!

My name is Charles and I'm one of the developers of 9th Dawn. I'm glad to see that people are excited to play the game. Some members here told me about this thread so I thought I'd drop by and answer some of your questions and explain a few things. From reading through the thread, these are some of the main questions I picked up on:

• Brightness
    • Interaction with objects
    • A zoom option
    • Loot(?)
    • The port vs original factor

I'll address each of these in turn to hopefully clear some things up.

Brightness:

The game does have a day and night cycle, as well as dark dungeons which can be hard to see in. However, there are torches in the game which you can use to provide an area of light around you. If the game is too dark for you even during the day, you probably need to turn up your screen's brightness. We don't receive too many complaints about the brightness, and usually issues concerning it are resolved by one of the two means mentioned.

Interaction:

Someone asked how to open a gate, so I'll answer that first. Typically all gates are opened using either switches or keys. If something is opened using a key, then it should have an "Unlock" option. The same goes for locked doors.

As for all other interactions, you have probably noticed that for NPCs, signs, and certain other objects, an interaction button appears at the right side of the screen to allow you to use/talk/interact with whatever you are standing near. Currently, there is a bug in the version which was released where this interaction button is currently not appearing for containers (chests, barrels, etc). It is not immediately apparent, but you can also tap directly on objects/items/npcs to interract with them. This will allow you to open things until you get the next patch (I've already made the fixes, I just need to wait until the first version is actually released before I can issue it). I plan on adding this information to Nevi's (the fairy) dialogue to help make it more apparent from the beginning.

There are also certain object which you might not expect to have interactions that lead to secrets, so be on the lookout (there is one important one in the starting village!)

Zooming:

There are two zoom options that are currently implemented in the game. The first is the game screen zoom, which zooms in to the player and map. This is toggled using the magnifying glass on your hotbar.

The other zoom option is found in your options menu (tap on your health bar to access your menu). This option is labeled as Hi-res GUI and is probably checked by default. We accidentally made "checked" be off and "unchecked" be on, which will be resolved in the next patch. If you uncheck this option, upon restarting the game, the GUI elements will be enlarged which will help people with higher resolution devices such as tablets.

Also:

I highly recommend that you check out the various options available to you in the options menu. Many of the questions/complaints that we get about the game are things that we actually did implement options for (like not inverting the ranged attack stick and drawing an aim assist line for ranged attacks).

Loot:

There is definitely loot, and plenty of it! See this thread on our forum where one of the android players has documented most, if not all, of the items in the game:

http://welkstore.com/forum/index.php?/topic/65-items-list/

There are also several other helpful threads on the forum which can answer some of your questions as you progress through the game as well.

Ports:

While 9th Dawn was originally released on Android, it is not really an iOS port. We developed 9th Dawn using Marmalade SDK, which allowed us to write the code once, compile, and then deploy to all mobile devices at once (Android, iOS, Blackberry, PC, Mac, etc). We had some problems when it came to utilizing multithreading on iOS, which was a Marmalade related issue, but finally got it worked out and are just now approved and launching. The downside of this is, however, that we have ZERO feedback on the iOS version beyond what testing we have done and the feedback we have gotten from a few QA reports. For this reason, we really aren't sure what sort of bugs are going to pop up, but we are fully dedicated to resolving any issues as they are reported.

Concerning bugs, crashes, and other problems, there are some things already on our radar. The upcoming patch (probably being released tonight for Android) addresses some problems, such as the interaction button. There are also some other changes that we are making with relation to the quests, dialogue, etc.

I will be the first to admit that 9th Dawn has some of its rough spots and that it certainly has much room for improvement. We ran into quite a lot of technical issues in making it, mainly with regards to performance, which drew our attention away from the RPG aspects of the game quite often. I am often looking at parts of 9th Dawn with regret (certain quests, the combat equations, and other gripes), so if you find these things yourself, know that I agree in many instances. I am still knocking around potential solutions in my head and hope that over time, I can work out the biggest kinks and eliminate some of these negative aspects of the game. Some of the performance issues are still persistent, though the biggest one (the framerate lag experienced in certain areas of the map) is something that we think we finally have a solution for and will be working on implementing in the near future.

All in all, I am mostly happy with what we managed to accomplish on such a limited money and time budget (everything ended up coming out of our pockets, haha), but I do recommend that you take it with a grain of salt. It is definitely not the best RPG experience that was ever created, but it IS the start of our journey as published game developers, even if on such a small scale as it is. We hope that you enjoy the game and encourage you to e-mail us with any of your comments, concerns, or questions. There is not a single e-mail in our inbox that I have not personally responded to, and this is something about our company that will never change (and trust me, I get a lot of e-mails from you guys!).

We are currently frantically reworking our website, but in the meantime, the forums are up and functional if you want to join and learn more about 9th Dawn or our development plans. If you need help with the game, definitely e-mail us at [email protected] and we will do our best!

I'll hang around and check this thread every now and then, as well.

Thanks for you interest and hope you enjoy the game!

Cheers,
    Charles C

Retrospect: That was a MUCH bigger post than I intended to make, haha. Hope you enjoy 9th Dawn, that is, if you ever finish reading this and get to play it!

17. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Welcome to TouchArcade Valorware, best of luck with the release. I'll be buying it come 11.

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Ditto!

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The ValorWare people definitely seem like responsive developers. Browsing through the Android Google Play reviews it looks like they responded to many of the reviews (I guess developers can respond to reviews on Google Play) in a candid and open manner.

Is it 11 yet?

20. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    It's only 9:21 here :( and the Pens are loosing game 3 against Boston :((