Universal A Few Billion Square Tiles, a Massively Multiplayer Online Minesweeper

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lif, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Syro

Syro Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    An idea from my brother: Leaderboard or titles for largest contiguous empire. This counts only your largest interconnected set of squares -- multiple, disconnected islands would not help. Would be interesting to see at least. If competitive multiplayer got more love this could lead to interesting strategies like trying to split a competitors empire in two to take the lead.

2. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    It would be amazing indeed. Unfortunately, given the size of the world, the processing power required to compute all continuous empires would be insane. Way above what my small server can handle :)

3. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    I'm not sure if this is stemming from a bug or from the fact that I'm using one of the development builds, but when trying to send an email either through the refer-a-friend button or through the contact button, the app crashes.

The other thing is that there are some different sized fonts being used in the tutorial. It's not often, but some words are bit but bigger and widely spaced. Is this for emphasizing certain parts of the explanations?

4. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Mmmh that's bad. I was able to reproduce by disabling all my email account. I'll fix this today, but was it the case for you too? Do you have an account configured?

Is your iPad non-retina? The text is justified and also looks bad on my non-retina iPad mini. If yours is non-retina too I should probably align left on those devices.

Thank you!

5. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    Yes. I didn't have any accounts set up when the crash was happening. It's now fixed. Thanks.

I'm currently using a retina iPad. There still is some weird spacing going on in a few sections, such as the part explaining wipers. I checked on my iPhone 5, and there is only one instance of the weird spacing. It's almost like it's trying to fill the whole line, so it spreads out the lettering if it might not be able to fit an extra word.

6. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Indeed the wiper/sonar lines look bad, probably because the line is too short. I'll change it to left-aligned if I make another build, thank you!

7. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    Hey lif,

I've found a pretty big bug in the latest sweep. For some reason, my username, but not my account name, has changed to "Anonymous". I'm able to change it back, but it reverts back to Anonymous once I leave the pause screen and get back playing. Ever time I return to the profile screen daft playing, it alternates between Anonymous one time and then my normal username Plyte the next, and then back to Aninymous, and so on.

8. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to look into it, hopefully it's a server side bug as I changed a few related things yesterday.

9. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Well, the bug is in the client and it's indeed pretty big: basically it's not possible to choose a username identical to your login anymore.

The sad thing is that I received a notification from Apple that my app was in review right after seeing your message. I had never seen such a quick review (I submitted yesterday), but I had to reject the binary to submit the fix.

I hope the reviewer got notified immediately and didn't waste time reviewing :/

Anyway, I have a fix and will send you a new build pretty soon, thank you :)

10. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    Glad I was able to help. Everything is working wonderfully now. :)

11. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    I've ran into an interesting issue for the first time. I doubled tapped one of the tiles and it uncovered a large swath of area. However, one of the new blue tiles was also blinking red and it proceeded to wipe out the 5x5 square. However, it did not reassign numbers to the new border tiles. I came out of the game and when I went to check on the area, it had switched to as if there was no wrong tap and a whole set of blue tiles were back.

12. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    The double-tap is a bit of a last minute hack: it's fully implemented client side, with the client sending 8 taps to the server, which will interpret them as 8 consecutive taps. So it's totally possible to see both a big blue area and a failure (if for example the top left uncovered an empty space while the bottom right was a mine).

The missing numbers is clearly a bug though, hopefully this is a relatively rare occurrence.

13. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    The weird part was that the system interpreted the same tile as both correctly solved tile and a failure at the same time. In this instance, the tile become a blue "1", but also caused the failure.

14. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    What may have happened is that there was 2 mines exploding together: the first one sent a new set of tiles to the client, including a "1" in the location of the second one. When the second one exploded, the red animation was done using the new "1" instead of the old white unknown tile. The bug here is that only the first one should have exploded, and the second one should have been cancelled by the server. In itself it's not a big problem (exploding twice instead of once), but it seems to have triggered a weird state in the client.

I wasn't able to reproduce it with my test tools (with scenarios where a double-tap explodes several mines) so it must be a pretty rare edge case. I'll look into it anyway, thank you!

15. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    Hey lif. I'm really liking the new tools to see more info about clans. It's great now that we can see each member of the clan in-game without having to go out and find out on other forums. The ability to see the different clan territories is really helpful as well. The search feature is working well too.

However, I feel like despite seeing all of the clan names, there isn't much motivation to actually start a "war". They could boarder each other, but there is no real incentive to actually risk your empire for your clan versus your own empire.

I was thinking that you could possibly put in different "scored" areas around the map in different locations that would give clans "points" for how long they hold the control of those tiles. These could be somewhat large areas or somewhat small, depending on what could work well. The points could reset every hour or so that clans won't develop huge gaps in points and the people in the clan could get some sort of reward. I'm not sure it this would be feasible, but other than limiting the number of tiles in the world, I don't see players fighting each other when they could just expand elsewhere.

16. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Yes the infinite nature of the game is a double edged sword :)

For clans to "hold" an area we need a way to protect it too. I've always had the idea of adding special tiles that protect the surrounding area, but I was limited by the CPU resources of the server. However now that collateral damages are disabled it might be easier to implement: with collateral damage it would use too much CPU to check on every error, but if we only have to check for Wipers it might be fines.

I also had another idea to motivate people to work together. I'd like to add notification support, so that members of a clan can "rally the troops" in an area. The idea would be that any member of the clan* would be able to post a notification calling for help. Other members would receive it and get the option to visit the location and mine at the same position. It wouldn't really give a new goal, but the act of working together could be a fun insensitive.

What do you guys think?

* provided they meet a few requirements: I was thinking something like no more than one call a day per person, only if you have a certain amount of tiles, and only if you have been a member of the clan for more than a few days.

17. plyte

plyte Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Student
    California
    That sounds like a great idea. The ability to at least interact with your other clan members in-game would be a welcome addition.

18. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Tried it for the first time today. I ended up staying on the toilet way longer than I'd have liked ;P

19. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Thatnks for the lovely image! X(

20. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    #120 lif, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Hahaha. Well it's probably more relaxing and better for the transit than playing Swing Copter on the throne :)

Also, careful Touch Arcade clan: the ATLP clan is only 70 000 tiles away from taking the top spot from you!