A Million Dollar App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by doink123, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Joshuax

Joshuax Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    These million dollar whatevers are absolutely retarded. But if you can find people dumb enough to pay for space, then absolutely take advantage of them.

2. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Right, have you thought of who in the world would download and install an app just to look at random things, most of them ads? o_O
    This is like an "ad-supported game", without the game, or a newspaper without the actual news but has tons of advertisements. :rolleyes:
    And one million dollars? 99.99% of the developers don't raise nearly that much money by actually doing something, and you expect to get that much money by doing nothing other than paying for the yearly developer license and creating an empty app?

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    THANK YOU AURORA! exactly what i said, im so proud :D

4. drewse

drewse Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I understand everyone's point here, but I think you all are being a little too critical. First of all, if the developer wants to do this (and whether or not you think advertisers will invest in it or customers will buy it) there is nothing stopping him. You can complain all you want, but there is no reason for the developer not to try it out now that it's out there on the app store. Yeah, as I mentioned before one million dollars is kind of a reach, but the idea of a million dollars is sort of essential to this app and without it the app would be less popular. I personally think that in the right circumstances, including good publicity, this app could be more successful than you're predicting it to be. If an app is free, it will automatically be downloaded be some people. Adding the fact that it has a cool concept, more people would probably download it. The more downloads, the more advertisers and vice versa as well. If starts well I could see this app becoming a partial success. Otherwise, if it's only downloaded a few times a day then I agree with the rest of you.

5. doink123

doink123 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    #25 doink123, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010

We've just hit Business TOP 150 in the US Store:
    http://appadvice.com/appcharts/Business/Free

A raise of 110 positions for the last 24 hours. Our goal for tomorrow is to get in the top 100, which will give us way more exposure.

6. doink123

Jan 8, 2010
    I'll think of something. The forums are great.

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I like the idea!

8. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    you should of made it accessible via safari as well as an app. would draw a slightly bigger crowd but a bigger crowd nonetheless

9. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    On first sight I already knew this was a milliondollarhomepage-copy. But hey, the concept worked once, why not try it somewhere else? I wish you good luck with this :D

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The fact he's allowed to doesn't make it any less lame. The whole thing comes across as some hair-brained, Eric Cartman "Then we can make a million dollars!" scheme.

11. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    And he'll buy his own theme park with the million dollars and won't let anyone else use it :D

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I love the idea too!
    It is just how one looks @ it.

Here, in India, we have a news-paper... er, not actually a newspaper, it is called Ad-Mag!
    (I doubt the idea's originality though)
    Same concept on the iPhone & iPod touch :cool:

13. doink123

Jan 8, 2010

Yes, this will go live sometime next week or the week after.

14. doink123

Jan 8, 2010
    #34 doink123, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    I can tell you what I'm going to spend the money on. I even wrote it in the application description. It's definitely not for a theme park or something useless.

Me and my partner are gamers and love playing computer games. That's why 5 years ago we had this idea for the biggest gaming-related web site, which would cover all games for any platform ever made. It was going to be the IMDB of games. For 5 years we've been filling the database - titles, screenshots, genres, release dates, platform information, reviews... This was a huge amount of work we did it.

What happened at the end?
    Guys.. let me present to you the biggest and most complete gaming database on the internet: UGDB.com. The site also has many social features, news, articles, events and many more.

We did it, but this is just the beginning.
    Unfortunately, the financial crisis is quite bad and it's almost impossible to find investors. And we need an investment, because the cost of the servers is high and we have to work on external projects just to support the site. Working on external projects is not good, because we can't spend all of our time working on UGDB. The rest is history. You should know that the money I may get from the Million Dollar App will be spent on something useful. You can help UGDB just by downloading the Million Dollar App, so it's rating can go up and / or spread the word.

BTW, here's the current stats of the application:

We haven't hit the Business top 100 in the US yet, but we are on it.

US Store - 134 (up 14 positions)
    Germany - 131
    UK - 127
    Croatia - 127
    France - 115
    Hong Kong - 98
    Netherlands - 94
    Australia - 77
    Austria - 56
    Indonesia - 31