Abducted by Sunside Inc

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by sunsidegames, Feb 16, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    So I guess this statement from your initial post no longer applies. Disappointing, but those screenshots do look gorgeous.

To my knowledge, I think this will be the first iPhone game to not support the 4S.

2. sunsidegames

sunsidegames Well-Known Member

Yes that is correct. Unfortunately we made that statement earlier in development. It didn't turn out to be feasible. Future patches may improve things enough or let us pare down some areas on the 4s to make it a supported device, but it's not on the official list for the launch.

Sorry to disappoint.

3. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #43 redribbon, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    awesome!the handwork, the passion will be rewarded. my instant purchase on dec 19th just for the graphics alone.

ps. i gotta feeling that on dec19th I'm going to face temporary broke due to many great games release on the same day.

4. sunsidegames

#44 sunsidegames, Dec 16, 2013
    That's great to hear! :) Thanks!

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^ I hope that under the "Supported" list that is iPad mini non-retina?

Sad to see the 4S being left out.

6. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    What exactly is the difference between supported and recommended?

Running an iPhone 5 here and this game look interesting but not if it's gonna lag all over the place.

7. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Oh god... I need iPad air now :'(

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Great news! Added to calendar.

Well, it's also the first game I know that doesn't support iPad2. With the huge performance differences between that generation and today, devs need to make a cut at some point.
    Or do you want to be stuck with lower possibilities forever, because people want their iPod3 supported still?
    Heck, from what I keep track of the PC side, there you have games that do not even run smoothly on high-end machines when you crank effects all the way up.

Difference between "supported" and "recommended" is easy:
    First is "yes it works there, we tested it". Second means "for best experience and more bells-and-whistles, use this."

9. ImJPaul

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Ya but the only confusing part is that the iPhone 5 & 5C are exactly the same processor-wise and ones on recommended and the others on supported. Just a little confusing.

10. sunsidegames

Sidgoku123 - the issue with the iPad 2 is memory, it has 512mb DDR and under iOS 7 about half that is available, it's not enough to fit right now. Further patches will pare down the memory budget, and both the iPad 2 and 4s will probably move into the "supported device" list.

11. sunsidegames

ImJPaul - That is confusing, I will make that fix.

12. sunsidegames

iPad mini non-retina is an iPad 2 in a smaller form factor. Both have enough GPU to play but they are 512mb devices just like the iPhone 4s.

If you have an iPad 2, mini non-retina, an iPod Touch 5th gen, or iPhone 4s the game will run on if you have ios 6 on it. But on iOS 7 the available memory is squeezed. We'll be working on paring it down in a patch to move as many 512 meg devices in as we can.

13. sunsidegames

OK so with the clarifications and questions here I'll summarize the new device list. And I'll also restate the reason the iPad2, iPad mini (non retina), and iPhone 4s, and iPod Touch 5th Gen are NOT supported with the launch release: 512 mb RAM, instead of 1GB.

If you have one of those devices with iOS 6 on it you will be fine. But if you have iOS 7 on it, you won't be. iOS 7 is more memory hungry than it's predecessor. On our support page we can't get all picky about the OS version and message it right, so those devices just get put in the unsupported pile.

We will probably be able to put some effort into a future patch in the near term to get the 4s, iPad2 etc all back into the supported device list.

But you probably aren't going to have an amazing experience on them. Someone earlier mentioned ravensword and stuff on the iPad 2. There are a lot of great looking games no-doubt but none I've seen that are doing the type of real-time lighting we are doing. It really requires the top end Apple devices to get the best experience (an iPad Air or mini retina).

Without further ado, the corrected/clarified list:

Recommended Devices:
    * iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display
    * iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5

Supported Devices:
    * iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad 4, iPad 3
    * Universal Application
    * Requires: iOS 6.1

Unsupported Devices:
    * iPad 2, iPad mini (without Retina display), iPad 1
    * iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPhone 3Gs
    * iPod Touch (all versions)

14. ImJPaul

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Fantastic. Can't wait to get it in less then 72 hours. Looks like A LOT of love and attention to detail went into making this.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I knew it was more rewarding keeping my ipad mini non-retina on iOS6.

That said, i'm getting my ipad mini retina next week so i guess this becomes a non-issue. ;)

16. Singer

Singer Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Amazing game

17. sunsidegames

Yes, lots of work. We hope to make the game epic across all six episodes.

18. sunsidegames

#58 sunsidegames, Dec 16, 2013
  19. Lowlifemalakye

Lowlifemalakye Active Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Looks really cool. How much will it be? ( sorry if you e already said I didn't see.)

20. sunsidegames

Hi sorry maybe I didn't post this! It will be on sale at launch for $2.99 (USD), regular price after that is $4.99 (USD).