Universal Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD - (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Anyone else having troubles loading this on iOS 7.0.3?

I'm on an iPhone 4S and the standalone app for the first Phoenix Wright game is working fine, but when I try opening the Trilogy app, it loads a black screen and crashes. I closed all my apps, restarted my phone, deleted and redownloaded the app... nothing. It just doesn't work :(

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Read the app description.

3. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    #203 MasterChief3624, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    You'll have to forgive me since I didn't see anyone else talking about it.

Thanks for the help, I guess.

Now I ask if there are any updates from Capcom on those fixes?

4. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    I just finished this game finally, started since the release of the game and now it's over.
    I would say this is the best IOS game I've ever played.

5. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Doesn't even run on ios7. Disgraceful.

6. zzandreezz

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    It runs fine on my Iphone 5 Ios 7 though?

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    It does run on my iPad 3, iOS7.

8. zzandreezz

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    Anyone finished the game and wanna discuss the storyline? :D

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's been updated to work with iOS 7.

10. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Indeed it has! Yay!

Now all I need is Deus Ex: The Fall, and my phone will be up-to-scuffles!

11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    States optimized for iPhone 5 but it still has no wide screen support ... First app I've used staring optimized for iPhone 5 but has the bars on the right and left... What's up with this?

12. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I don't think it is optimized for any iOS device. :D

iPad version has all those extra black spaces that they didn't bother covering.

13. Balders

Balders Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Was really looking forward to playing this at last, having heard good things about it and loving the concept.

So I jumped in and bought all three of the games as soon as I downloaded it.

Boy, what a disappointment.

Not only is the dialogue poor and in serious need of having the fat trimmed from it, but you're forced to sit there as the words are spelt out character by character in a manner supposed to represent the speed of the character's speech.

Why? What's the point in trying to impose the rhythm and timing of speech in written text? It just makes slogging through the already repetitive dialogue even more tedious.

So far I've been through three trial sessions, taking a fairly decent bite out of the game, and all the contradictions and points to challenge in each trial have been pretty damn obvious, but of course you're forced to jump through all the hoops the game requires you to before you can actually reach that point and get on with things.

I don't think I can bring myself to sit through more of this. I'm stunned to find that what I had always assumed would be an exciting and quirky courtroom drama game is in fact frustratingly slow and, so far, very much 'paint by numbers' as far as the actual meat of the game goes.

Also surprised by how rough around the edges much of the presentation is, but I wouldn't mind that if the game was a little faster and smarter.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wait, did you actually play Ace Attorney at all?

Your review sounds like you just know it is a courtroom game and has slow text...

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I think they're mostly fair criticisms. The slow text speed is very tedious.

Equally, it definitely is frustrating when you know what has happened but the game won't let you examine that crucial piece of evidence until you've spoken to someone who'll spell it out for you, or when there are three pieces of evidence that would prove your point in a trial and the game will only accept the one it wants.

I'm also surprised how many typos still exist in the game. I jumped straight to the second game (I've played the first before) and I'm about halfway through the second case. So far, I have noticed half a dozen obvious typos that I wouldn't expect from a fourteen year old. How these were missed in the first game AND the remake I have no idea.

Don't get me wrong; I'm still enjoying the game despite its flaws and don't regret buying it, but it certainly isn't perfect.

16. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Strange, I never noticed any typos, those usually bug me. Care to point out some?

I myself like how the text mimicks the speech's voice. It's a cheap trick, and a pretty cute one. Also bear in mind that the games were on GBA at first, so whatever they could try to make the product seemed more immersive without full voice acting, they would try. Don't expect any "smart" features like what a game for a smartphone should possess, the port isn't the best one out there.

17. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    There's actually a way to speed up the text. It was something about pressing the arrow twice and keep pressing it or something like that, I don't remember.

18. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    There are definitely typos here and there. The second game is the worst of the lot, with a really obvious one in one of the endings. Relative to the size of the script, I don't think there are too many in general, and given the small size of the localization staff and the extremely limited timeframe 2/3 had to be done in, I'm pretty forgiving of the original scripts.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that nothing in the script was fixed in the iOS versions. Disappointed, because many of the mistakes are well-known and it would be easy to fix them. Not surprised, because Capcom execs seem to have very little excitement for English releases of this series these days.

19. Balders

Balders Member

Nov 16, 2013
    #219 Balders, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Exactly. For example, when cross examining White in The Turnabout Sisters, he makes a claim concerning a certain piece of office furniture (I'm trying to be non-specific here to avoid spoilers), and it's obvious that you're going to want to take a closer look at a certain piece of evidence, but before you can do that you have to wade through scenes of Phoenix giving up, passing out, and then waking up in the lobby only to be told to take the step that the game has prevented you from taking.

Now I'm in the Turnabout Samurai chapter, and again, you reach a point at the studios where it's abundantly clear that you're going need to speak to that fanboy kid to progress, but he's nowhere to be found, so after painfully checking all studio areas yet again, your only recourse is to head back to your office so Phoenix can declare defeat, only to once again be told to go and do what you already wanted to do. And sure enough, when you return to the studio the kid is there.

I realise that to some extent this kind of hand-holding and jumping through hoops is designed to tell the story (though sometimes it feels more like padding), but I could tolerate that much more readily if it at least let me flick through the dialogue at normal reading speed.

I admit that I had been freshly annoyed by the game when I wrote my previous post, so probably sounded a bit harsh, but you know... in the current chapter, since the moment i visited studio 2 and saw that (possible spoiler)
    bent fence spear
    , I've been pretty certain that it's going to be what
    impaled the victim!
    but I'm feeling that it's going to be a long slog through a forest of overly explanatory and often redundant dialogue before Phoenix makes any such connection - or someone points it out to him after another manufactured 'I give up! I have failed!' crisis.

Like I say though, I could put up with all that and just go along with the ride if it wasn't for the slow text boxes turning the ride into a crawl.

As it is, I've resorted to holding down the forward dialogue button that VaroFN mentioned. Unfortunately it doesn't fast forward the current text box when you press it, but instead flashes through the subsequent text boxes if you keep it held down. So I'm doing that and just trying to skim read the dialogue boxes in the split second they flash by, which is far from ideal. It's just frustrating, because a simple speed setting for the text or a button to just make all text in one box appear at once would make a big difference.

Ok, I think I've moaned quite enough. At least iPadIsGreat can rest assured that I didn't bizarrely decide to moan about a game I hadn't actually played at all. ;)

20. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Cool. Your complaints are valid. I feel the same way too. Especially when you go beyond the original trilogy and find that Capcom didn't fix any of those shotcomings you highlighted.

I just wanted to make sure that you had actually gave Phoenix a chance before slagging it.

iPadCan'tPlayTheNewPhoenixGamesAsHeWouldRatherSpendTheMoneyOniDevicesThanA3DS...