Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 2, 2010.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Gameloft ftw.

2. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    On the surface that seems true, but I don't agree. For one thing we don't need Activision, and we don't need console games. I'm perfectly happy with the huge variety of quality games that are ALREADY available at cut-rate prices. The app-store created it's own market, and it's own endless supply of games from fabulously creative indie developers, and from cloners, and it's only going to get better. I for one, am relieved that I don't give a darn about major, expensive, PC games anymore, including those from Activision - Blizzard.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'm with you here. Money has never been a factor for me, but I can truly say that I would rather play with my iPod touch than my psp, ps2, or ps3. The AppStore is truly a marvel. Like jobs said many, many months ago, there's something here for everyone, no matter if you're a casual gamer, or a hardcore addict like me.

4. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

focus

I am trying to understand why everyone is focusing on activision and thier comments. They made thier statement just to draw some media attention to themselves. There is absolutly no reason for him to jump out and say any comment about developing for iphone/ipod. Everyone here should stop and think that if they dont develop , who is losing out ? Not us !!! As a developer myself , I am glad they are going to develop for IOS. This platform is and always be the indie developers dream.

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Actually no he didn't. He made the comment because it was part of an interview he was giving which broached the topic of gaming via idevices and Facebook. I mean if you're going to say something at least look into it without making yourself appear foolish.

You are right though, no one will be missing out, as Activision/Blizzard will keep doing very well on the platforms they specialize in.

6. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    their loss, if he was a TRUE businessman he wouldn't care how much money he's making. profit is profit as far as i'm concerned and with this technically being the "newest" game platform theres only room to grow. imagine a COD port with online at 20-25 bucks a pop in the app store...omgawh...

7. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

Well from what I read he said the statments at a summit. I didnt read anything about an interview. I can only comment on what I read. That said its still fishy to me that if thier arent interested in iphone/ipod they could have just made a simple statment , instead of saying how its not good commercial sense.
    Obviously Capcom , EA, and others have proved him wrong.

8. hhhh

hhhh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    I really think Blizzard and Activision are making a mistake here. There are so many hardcore gamers and there is huge potential for games on the Appstore.

btw, I would gladly pay 50 dollars for Starcraft on the iphone.

9. Midnight09

Midnight09 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Thinking on it some more, I'm really happy I discovered iOS gaming. I still look to my PS3/360 for top level gaming experiences like Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2 or Dragon Age, but I play on my iPhone daily. It has allowed me to make gaming a more active part of my life. On days where work, school and my family take most of my time, I still find the time to spend time on the iPhone when I have some free moments. Financially it's great. Rather than having to choose just a couple titles, I can experience a huge variety of games/genres for a pretty damn good price.

I can't really complain.

10. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    Lol'd at this... :D

11. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    People care because Activision houses the two biggest franchises in gaming today: WoW and CoD.

Kotick is a bit of a douche; he's fishing for attention. What's CoD Zombies doing in the app store?

Who needs 'em. Not that it matters, but he'll be eating his words eventually when more activation/blizzard titles pop up in iTunes.

12. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    Has anyone thought about the possibility, that maybe activision is saying they have no interest in iOS gaming, in the same context that apple said they had no interest in making a phone in 2005.

Competition can cause sneaky behavior as well as a lot of 'smoke and mirrors'-type comments. If they outwardly show great interest in iOS, it will most likely cause other major developers who haven't yet come aboard, more reason to start developing for iOS. I'm sure activision, which already develops for the iPhone, would like to stay ahead of the curve by denying any such goals.

13. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Nicely said!

I seriously love you for saying this. Thank you. I didn't think about that at ALL. Now it's time for us to tell all the other major companies to come to the iPhone...

14. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    He one time said he didnt like that console maker fees were eating away his console profits, so he was considering other ways to distribute his console sequels without profits being funnelled by microsoft or the like.

15. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I can't see how it would be possible to make a console price and quality game for a device like the iPhone. The screen is tiny in size compared to TVs today, and at least 15% of it is going to be obscured by thumbs if you don't have an external controller with buttons, which even if it was to be made would only be bought by a tiny fraction of idevice owners.

It's all well and good to say 'I would willingly pay $xx for a console quality game' but even if big name developers did decide to give it a go, it wouldn't come out anywhere near as good a it's console counterpart.

16. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Lol but valve and blizzard will be the last to make the jump, and blizzard probably never will. Heck valve still doesn't put anything out on Sony and blizzard still is pc and Mac only. But u guys wanna know what's funny. I bet if blizzard spend a year or two developing a basses rts game or port of sc2 for the iPad, and it came out and they charged everyone $30 for it and never dipped down, or allowed apple to, it would still make millions. And a bunch of new ppl who are hardcore gamers and never username devices for gaming would buy it.

17. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    The iphone seriously sucks for gaming. I got an iPad and an iPhone 4 at the same time and only use the iPad. I just don't get why they mask so many iPhone only games or just cheaply port iphone style of gameplay to the iPad when it has so much more potential. Why can't apple or someone start actually supporting games on the iPad that are tailored to it for longer play sessions as the battery is good enough unlike iPhone?

18. Midnight09

Midnight09 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    I have to agree with some of the comments on that post. The App Store is a pretty open system, so of course there is a disproportional amount of crap. Look at the Wii and DS. For every good game there are dozens of examples of shovelware that isn't worth the price of the disc it's printed on. It's also no surprise that some people make pretty dumb purchasing decision (14 people buying a worthless app for $300).

Personally I'm happy with the open nature of the App Store. It allows for gems like Solomon's Keep, which likely would've never been released on a more closed system. We get plenty of great indie titles alongside solid titles by bigger developers. Choices are great for consumers.

19. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    The portability, mobility, on the go aspect of the iPhone is a huge reason why it's so popular