Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Midnight09

Midnight09 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    That's why this whole "console quality" discussion is stupid. People looking for PS3 or 360 quality titles on a portable device will always be disappointed.

Why can't people just review and compare iPhone games to each other vs. trying to win the impossible fight of comparing them to high budget home console titles?

2. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    It's more portable but your sacrificing quality of usage and the ability to do things when u use the iPhone over the iPad. I mean to those who own an iPod or iPhone as well as an iPad compare playing pizza boy on them. On the iPad I never had problems of my fingers obstructing my view but on the others sometimes (not as much as falcon crap but still) did.

3. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I see what you mean and where youre coming from. But i feel like that's not how it works.. Do we compare wii games only with other wii games? No, wii games get lower scores typically because the games just don't measure up to other options out there.

Why lower our standards of fun just cause the console we play on is less quality?

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Exactly what abilities to do things are people sacrificing when using an iPhone/Touch over an iPad? I can do as much if not more using my touch than using an ipad. Not to mention I can fit it in my pocket, or not get sore wrists from holding it for awhile.

5. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Well the iPad is a better gaming device you can't argue that especially when it comes to hardware and graphics and such.
    However what perks you personally consider more important is what creates the opinion of iPod vs iPad

6. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    For example using a desktop remote view program or using word processing or using the web to browse the et. It's a horrible horrible experience browsing the web on an iPod or iPhone. Trust me I do it sometimes when I have to and it sucks. U constantly have to scroll or zoom and hit the wrong key strokes.

7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Also the iPad has magazines tailor or custom built for it like retro gamer, and wired. The iPhone and I don't even think laptops have this option even and it would be horrible scrolling all the time on those screens. Did I also mention battery life yet? The ipad is superior in every way to me.

8. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    The Wii is a home console, so of course Wii games are compared to 360/PS3 games. iOS games are mobile games. It's a completely different ballgame.

9. ScottColbert

It's not how it works, and that's the sad part. You just can't compare the two. Well people can and do, but it's never been accurate. You may as well complain why a Yugo isn't as fast or looks as good as a Corvette. Sure they're both cars (well barely for the Yugo), but they're designed for different markets. They have a different base of customers; different price points, different uses.

Comparing Wii games with other "next gen" consoles is a bit more fair as they're all home consoles. iDevices are phones/media players. Even comparing them to a DS or PSP isn't quite accurate as both of those are specifically designed for gaming.

iDevice gaming is something different altogether.

10. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    With portability comes decreased functionality in some regards. With that said, I always have my iPhone in my pocket and thus have access to my contact list, text messaging, email, the web and tons of games practically ever waking moment.

11. ScottColbert

Actually laptops do have the option of custome built mags using Zinio. That's also available as a free download for the iPhone. I read PC Mag and Wired using it. There's no scrolling though, just page flips. You can zoom in and out however if you choose.

The only plus for the iPad is battery life.

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Wii games including party ones are still a heck of a lot less casual than most stuff u see on the app store whether for iphone or iPad. And the wii wasn't even built as a regular nintendo home console but a novelty item for mew types of gamers like old ppl and moms to play sports, fit, and waggle games on. The fact it shipped with wii sports shows this.

13. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Well I just looked up wired on the app store and only see an iPad version. Also it is always advertised for iPad in their magazine pages even.

14. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    You aren't going to find things for a PC on the App Store.

I think we can agree that none of these devices are worthless. They all have their advantages/disadvantages.

15. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The psp was never specifically designed for gaming. Sony always barely ever advertised it's gaming capabilities and even pushed it as a Walkman and a umd media player. In fact it can do most tasks the iPod can albeit with difficulty.

16. ScottColbert

#56 ScottColbert, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    The app is Zinio, and you use that to read the mags. Wired is no longer on there, though it used to. Haven't kept up on my mag reading been too busy.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zinio-magazine-newsstand-reader/id364297166?mt=8 is the app I use. Same one I have on my laptop.

17. ScottColbert

What planet do you live on? Down here on Earth the PSP was touted as having the best graphics for games, etc etc when it came out. The fact you could use some homebrew software to get it to do other stuff other than its early limited multimedia capabilities is a far cry from what you're saying.

18. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    If anything, some people might've pushed the PSP's media capabilities out of necessity due to the lack of games the device has had for most of it's life.

19. ScottColbert

This is true. I bought a used PSP when Crisis Core came out because I wanted to play that. Then I picked up Jeanne D'Arc and if I remember correctly, Disgaia. Played those and never picked it up again. finally sold it and haven't missed it a bit. It's a shame, because I really liked it, but using UMD for games was the big mistake IMO.

20. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    The PSP was an awesome piece of tech at the time. It just had horrible software support, at least here in the US. I just don't think Sony really gets the portable market. The PSPGo was a perfect example of that.

You mentioned it earlier, but some of the coolest stuff I saw on it were from people who had custom firmware and ran PS1 emulators and all sorts of other stuff.