Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I did notice in later updates up to the PSPgo release Sony was taking some of the ideas from the custom firmware but by then it was too little too late. I really liked the PSP and always hoped it would have succeeded. As you say, Sony just doesn't get the portable market.

2. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Anyway activision...

3. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    So you admit wired is ipad exclusive and probably retro gamer and the best mags are as well? And you admit they have their own custom built apps with more options and wired claimed they are even adding videos for the ipad in their issues according to an article I read. I bet that app sucks crock and doesn't have much support at all you mentioned. And I bet the emsg selection for the pc is also poor as all of them are going to the iPad.

Also, I'll ask you again Scott. Do you enjoy typing with one hand blogs, essays, or even searching the web or on forums such as this? Heck I'm not even sure Osiris or word processing exists on the iPhone.

4. Midnight09

Midnight09 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    One thing to keep in mind, if it wasn't for that piece of crap iPhone you seem to hate, your precious iPad would likely never have existed.

5. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    And the screen size is the big issue but also the iPad is for me at least much more comfortable to hold and set right because of the cover everyone buys for it and is pretty much required unlike the iPhone that doesn't really have covers that allow you to set it upright and such. Maybe it does but I haven't seen anyone with one. Also the ipad user base are more likely to sit and use it for longer periods of time and hardcore games like star craft would be much better for it because of this reason and nothing else even. I mean ppl don't want to learn to play a game on their phone like the total war series by sega with their co plicated gameplay and tutorials but iPad owners just might. Just...

6. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    Hardcore gamers are going to play Starcraft on a PC.

7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    No I enjoy the iPhone as well but for different reasons. I'm not gonna read mags, books, or surf the web on it unless I have to and have no access to my iPad. And besides a few examples I don't enjoy gaming much on it that's why the ipad has bigger potential there. I think the reason the iphone game prices are so much lower than the ipads is because most of its user base aren't really enjoying them either no matter how well made and reflect this by their pricing or how much they are willing to pay for them.

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Unless someone can prove otherwise with the same game and just as good control possibilities with an ipad version. But I guess ur right the adoption rates are too slow for hardcore gamer to even own one right? Also some hardcore gamers play on laptops like alien wares and that's real uncomfortable so the iPad could offer a solution and some are on the road a lot or away from their pc and would like to play it. You seriously don't think there is a market at all for a few hardcore games on the iPad or that no hardcore gamers own one just because its a touch based tablet? If the idos showed some hardcore games like Warcraft 1 and 2 could be reasonably enjoyed and controled on the ipad why cant newer games with the same gameplay mechanics? Game loft is the only one who tried so far with settlers but wit isn't even online. No one tried an online 4v4 star craft like rts game yet. No one tried a total war like game yet either. So how do u know they wouldn't sell or work if no one tried making one and treats the iPad like a casual phone game crap port box?

9. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Sorry I got a bit carried away but I think gamers don't understand this tech yet nor do they understand stuff like onlive yet. They only recently started accepting 3d tech and motion controls. Hardcore gamers are some of the most stubborn ppl and hardest to please or accept change in an industry. The ipad is still too techy for most core gamers I think. But just look into it, it's actually fun learning all these features. I've actually learned basic dos prompts after downloading the iDOS emulator. It forced me to learn and now can play ultime 1-6 as well as zeliard and other games on my iPad. I'm just an enthusiast who only had his iPad for maybe 3 months. Here is a blog I recently wrote about iDOS:
    http://mlata26.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/idos-emu-and-the-future-it-can-bring/

Here is a blog I wrote about me and why I am such an enthusiast of the iPad and how I got it as a gift:
    http://mlata26.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/my-experiences-with-the-ipad/

You guys don't get how fun it is learning how to send multiple attachments via email with good reader to a craigslist ad via craigsphpne and how much more fun and easy it is laying on the couch to say searching for a job on craigslist vs doing it crunched over on a pc and having all ur important files in DropBox as well as in good reader, and writing blogs via the word press app as well as tweets via the twitter app. There is so much to do and learn and u don't have to worry about viruses, security leaks, hacks, or anything. And there is integration among most apps like u can download stuff directly from the web via the downloads hd browser and simply in the files menu send them to good reader to use as attachments or the vlc player app to view the vids. It really is fun and magical and ur paying for comfort besides anything else.

Oh and to those who didn't enjoy the iPad when u tried it a few months ago or those new to it who just read some complaints with productivity, try it again with the latest release. Multitasking has brought a whole different experience to it. You can for instance now type an email and in the middle of it close the email app and go to the atomic web browser full of ur tabs that just pop up right away copy and paste a link url and go back to the email app and everything is just as you left it including your half typed email so u can paste in the URL. You can do this with just about every app.

10. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    That's ridiculous. iPhone gamers aren't having fun so they still buy games, but just at cheaper prices.

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Activision sucks!

12. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Why lower our standards of fun? Cause the console we play on is less quality.

Don't get me wrong, there is loads of fun to be had with casual games I just don't think iOS has the potential for console quality games.

13. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    In all honesty, a DS or PSP doesn't have the ability for a true console quality title. Don't get me wrong, the DS especially has some amazing titles, but none of them come close to the scale and quality of a Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2 and other top home console games.

It's not even logical that some expect a portable or mobile device to somehow equal the quality of a home console game.

14. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The iPad does have the potential and psp did but Sony dropped the ball, it's just apple is not giving incentive enough or pushing it. But if apple was a gaming company as well like Microsoft and released the ipad I bet it would ave been much better than it is now.

15. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Decided to join in on the 'fun' here. :p

To Stirolak:

You have to look at this from a developer struggling to make money's point of view. While the iPad is VERY popular, it comes nowhere near the iPod/iPhone in terms of numbers. If you were going to make an iPhone/iPod app that can also be played on the iPad at 2x resolution versus an iPad exclusive app, you would almost always choose the safer route. Right now, only those developers who have already tested the waters of the App Store develop apps exclusively for the iPad (Big name companies, etc.). The successful developers who have the money and resources to take a chance of developing a game for the iPad, not the ones fighting for survival in the crowded App Store market. That's why there's so many more apps for the smaller devices than for the iPad.

I guess this is just a matter of opinion then. I actually find browsing the web on my iPhone an easy experience. Most of the sites I go too have sites tailored to iPhone's as well so it's not a problem. I navigate around TouchArcade on my iPhone plenty of times and I haven't had much difficulty. Again, just a matter of opinion and preference.

Don't pass judgement on something you haven't given a chance. I'm sure that Scott has a better feel and a more useful opinion on the subject of the app than you since he has tried it. Just it a chance and then feel free to voice your opinion.

Also, Osiris and Word Processing both exist on the iPhone. Most, if not all, apps like those, and I'm talking about those made from companies and not just some guy working out of his garage, had their start on the App Store waaaaaaaaaaay before the iPad was even shipped.

This doesn't really make sense. If the user base didn't enjoy playing games on their iPhone, then why is iDevice gaming so wildly successful as it is now? It all started with the iPhone. Without it, the iPad would have never existed. Also, the real reason that iPhone games are cheaper (usually only about $1-$4 less) is because developers take into account that more people have the mentality that since the iPad is bigger, it must be capable of bigger and better things and so they reason that the higher price is justified and developers take advantage of that. Plus developing for the iPad takes more time and resources and caters to a much smaller consumer base.

1) So you're saying that sitting in a comfy chair with your laptop on a stable desk using a mouse and keyboard isn't as comfortable, if not more, than sitting in that same chair holding a large device with an awkward case on it playing games? I don't mind playing games on the iPad but I don't see how it's more comfortable than playing games on a laptop.

2) Actually, someone has. It's made be a fantastic development team and it's called Warfare Incorporated. Also, it's only $.99. Give it a look sometime.

Well, that finishes off my rant. I don't have anything against you personally Stirolak, it's just that our views differ and I just wanted to voice my opinion on the matter.

16. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

#76 ScottColbert, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    I didn't admit anything. All I said was that Wired wasn't available using Zinio. As for the quality of the magazines, you can take a look at their website and see what they have to offer. To say the app sucks crock when you haven't used it is simply moronic. Something I fully expect from you anyway.

And I don't write using my Touch, I use my laptop, which is a vastly superior gaming platform. I've never gotten tired playing on that. I have gotten tired using an iPad. It's one reason I decided not to get one (well among many reasons), was the weight and size wasn't a good combo for playing for long periods of time.

If you like the iPad, well good for you! It's not for me, and a lot of other real gamers.

17. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't like the iPad for gaming either. It's too uncomfortable to hold for a long time (especially with accelerometer controlled racing games), and the border around the edge means that the controls suck for FPS/TPS games. The only sort of games the iPad is really good for is strategy games and board (bored) games. Sure it's good for e-mail and internet browsing, but at it's size, I'd rather just use my laptop (more powerful and comfortable). And for gaming I'll stick to my iPhone 4.

18. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    This.

I wouldn't mind an iPad and figure within the next couple years, assuming the device doesn't die off, I'll probably pick one up.

With that said, right now between my iPhone for portable gaming/web surfing and my laptop for gaming/web surfing/productivity at home, I don't have much of a reason to drop $500+ on an iPad. I'm plenty comfortable with my laptop in my lap on the couch, in a recliner or sitting in bed. Not to mention, iOS gaming will never replace home console/PC gaming for me, just supplement it.

19. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I agree. I'm sorry I meant iPhone/iTouch not iPad I think the latter has quite a lot more potential

I don't disagree.

20. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Are official apple made apps like iworks pages available for it? You know ones tailor made for the iPad with the ability to do pretty much anything word can do like hyperlinks, header footer, etc.? And save in PDF as well as word formats. Or apps that can do PowerPoint presentations?