Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just my 2c:

Stop saying things like "Yeah, the iPad sucks for gaming. Of course, I don't have one yet but I might pick one up soon."

In my experience with iOS gaming, my iPad is far superior to my iPod Touch in most cases. In some cases (FPS's, and that's pretty much it), the iPod is better.

This also.

2. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #82 Stirolak26, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    No offense bro but you are reaching. Any laptop comparable price range to the iPad (i only paid $500 for my 16 gb ipad with no 3g) has really shitty hardware and a crappy video card. I have two best buy laptops that cost around $550 before tax and can't play anything on it. Heck even the original diablo 2 stutters sometimes when played with the multires mod. Forget about fable 1, I had to lower all settings to the lowest Inc,using resource,union and it's still not a solid 30fps. Oh and this is a 2.4 gas dual core by Toshiba. And the battery life in all laptops is so laughable that u might as well just play on ur home pc since u won't be playing laptop games anywhere else for long without a power switch nearby. Or are you trying to compare a $1000 alien ware to the ipad in gaming? And even then u can't play games the same way on it like without sitting in front of a desk or something with room for a mouse. I think even in a plane seat it wouldn't be comfortable. Laptops aren't really for games or close to as comfortable as the iPad. And every laptop that I ever owned hugely disappointed me in graphics and games. If the iPad sucks so much or is inferior to the iPod or iPhone why is it selling so well? And why are other tablets selling so well including the slate?

3. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The reason I said that typing or surfing the web on the iPhone was not comfortable for me because I have thick fingers so due to the closeness of the iphone keys I end up hitting the wrong key or letter often and it happens a lot less on the iPad. Also the viewing distance is bigger on the iPad so u don't have to zoom as much to read words like on front page touch arcade articles without having to zoom and navigate the zoom left and right and up and down and u know all around.

4. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #84 Stirolak26, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    After playing many iPhone to iPad convertions or ports I thought the same thing, that is until I got my hands on 2xl trophylite rally racing. This game controls perfectly on the ipad and I believe is iPad exclusive still. The turns are very precise and you tilt your iPad only slightly or about as much as you would a real steering wheel, and don't have to turn it almost upside down like with the default tilt setting on most other racing games. Just try the game and tell me its hard to control. Nm found out it was ported to the iPhone but still it was a racing game made for the ipad in my books.

5. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    You were so adamant about your argument so how come you only chose one point that I made to argue about?

Anyways, I don't see what you're getting at here because originally, you tried to argue that the iPad was a better gaming device so why are you bringing iWork and Pages into it? This whole thread is about gaming. Why is this cropping up? For that matter, why are we arguing about which one of the iDevices are better? This makes no sense at all and I frankly don't see the point in it. All the devices are made by apple and they're essentially a family. What's the point in arguing for or against one or the other? Each has it's own differences. Let's just move on and arguing discuss something worth discussing because this argument doesn't get us anywhere.

6. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    $500 for a laptop that bad? Looks like you got ripped off. My bro has a laptop that he bought for $700 online and it can play huge games like Left 4 Dead 2 just fine. If you say that laptops aren't for games, then that goes for the iPad as well since what one can do, they other can such as browsing the web, playing games, listening to music, etc. As for battery life, I doubt the iPad could last long without being plugged in and playing a 'hardcore' game like you've been arguing about. It could last maybe an hour playing a first-rate FPS or RTS.

7. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    Funny, lol.

You're the first person to ever give praise to '2xl trophylite rally' for its controls. Have you ever tried crashing yet? It's impossible.

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010

You were the one who brought up the ipad being useless to you and just a big iPod touch and started saying how you prefer the iPod in all aspects not just gaming.

9. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    There will be -.-

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    It is a Toshiba satellite l505. Anyway show me sny best buy or store brand (not new egg or online stores) laptops where you can go to a store like u can to get an iPad and for under $800 bucks can play left 4 dead 2 nicely. Just check out the crappy video chips in all these laptops:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%2311a~~cabcat0502000%23%230%23%23o~~f865%7C%7C57696e646f7773~~nf518%7C%7C24363030202d2024383939&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0500000&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01

Intel graphics media accelerator or ati mobile hd3200 are the only two options and look at the YouTube vids of these card a and laptops using them in practice. You have to make sacrifices and lower every settings on almost all games.

11. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Most of those hard to control games on consoles aremt how real cars drive. Ever noticed how ppl who drive real cars and are good drivers never do good in these games but teenagers who never even drove are? They are overly sensitive and not realistic, fact is real tires grip the road somewhat and don't slide like skis like some of these so called hardcore games do.

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Actually I found a descent gaming laptop for $800:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+/+11.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Cosmic+Black/9732759.p;jsessionid=D12F0D5C3ADA20A320D6DFBBA21FBA61.bbolsp-app02-08?id=1218162977578&skuId=9732759

But again its still a lot more than the $600 bucks in total including accessories and all I paid for my ipad or my previous laptops. You won't find a descent gaming laptop for less than $600. And all my laptops always had a short life span due to how fragile they are and Microsoft virus friendly os.

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Who let Stirolak out of his cage?

14. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #94 Stirolak26, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    From:http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100331/apple-ipad-review/

"Apple has rebuilt its own core iPhone apps for the iPad to add sophisticated features that make the programs look and work more like PC or Mac software. For instance, there are “popover” menus that make it easier to make choices without leaving the screen you’re on. And, when the iPad is held horizontally, in landscape mode, as I often preferred to use it, many programs now have two panels, making them faster and more useful. For example, in email, a left-hand panel shows your message list, while a larger right-hand panel shows the message itself.

The photo app is striking, and much more like the one on the Mac than the one on the iPhone. The device can even be used as a digital picture frame. The iPod app is beautiful, too, as are the calendar and contacts app. Unfortunately, Apple excluded some of the more familiar apps from the iPhone, including Weather, Clock and Stocks.

I was able to try a pre-release version of The Wall Street Journal’s new iPad app (which I had nothing to do with designing), and found it gorgeous and highly functional—by far the best implementation of the newspaper I have ever seen on a screen. Unlike the Journal’s Web site, or its smart-phone apps, the iPad version blends much more of the look and feel of the print paper into the electronic environment. Other newspapers and magazines have announced plans for their own, dramatically more realistic iPad apps."
    Also can you have two screen orientations on an ipod or iphone in both web browsing, various apps, and surfing through the app tray like you can on the iPad? With a totally diff experience and keyboard layout?

15. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I personally don't have an ipad yet but would really like one. I do however have an older laptop that has a decent video card in it and can still do some gaming on it.
    However i don't know if im alone in this feeling but one of the biggest appeals to me personally for the iphone/ipad is not only the huge selection of apps/games available but also the sales. We are getting ds/psp games at a fraction of the cost. Like GTA china town wars or even the Lego harry potter game. And even then these games on sale for an even bigger discount.

16. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Duh....

Games only sell for couple quid on iTunes and most of them are crap anyways... infact all of them are.

17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    I think there are a lot of gems that get unnoticed and are hidden in the app store that could rival ds or psp titles. Like for instance yesterday I found out a metroid type of game exists called Grokion. I also discovered a great ipad puzzler called Theseus that will make you think. And recently I discovered that Gameloft actually ported both the classic fan favorite Driver and earthworm jimm last year. On top of making great spinoffs like spiderman etc. And there are many great fun pick up and play donut games. How can you say all these titles Are crap or any worse than the consoles they came from or ds or psp games?

If u want crap look at the psp home brew scene. Outside the emulators all those games are a pure joke and most aren't even finished.

18. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #98 dumaz1000, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    I just checked the U.S. appstore today and 22 out of the top 50 highest grossing apps are freemium. Both of the Angry Birds games, at .99c each, are ranked #1 and #2. That pretty much rests my case. The appstore is a joke to major developers. It can be great, if you are an indie developer. It can also be the bane of your existence, because the indie scene is pretty much hit or miss. You can make a decent amount of money with minimal (relatively speaking) investment, or you can lose your shorts. But if you are a major, established, mult-platform "console" dev, there is little to no future when it comes to investing seriously in this platform. It's so outlandishly cheap in terms of the mindset of its customers and is so gear to the casual gamer that there's very little to be gained.

19. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Wii is like that too though. Outside nintendo 1stbparty its geared towward the casual gamer who only picks the system up once in a few weeks.

20. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    #100 xVietx, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    Please enlighten me on when I said that because I have no memory of saying that at all. I was stating facts. Not my opinion.

EDIT: Scratch that. Most of it was based on facts.