Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    WTF r u saying? First you say you element say that and than you say it's a fact? Make up ur mind.

2. freakin

freakin Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    #102 freakin, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    Halo, or one of them, probably a few of them had a budget of like 60 Million dollars to make them. Yeah good luck covering that in the app store prices.

3. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Apple could afford to make a demonstration game what is capable on the iPad for like that much. it probably would be worth it for them but the company has never been into gaming. But imagine what kind of a game could be possible if someone made it at such a budget even on a touch only system like the iDevices. Heck it would be even better than the touch only mario vs dk games or the touch only ds zeldas.

4. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The iPad got the A4 processor from launch and, while Apple don't advertise clock speed, all the testing I've seen says the iPad probably runs a wee bit quicker than the iPhone 4. There's also the small matter of the screen which isn't exactly a cheap bit of kit. Yes, the iPhone has more memory but a) it needs it as it's running more background processes than the iPad and b) it also costs more than the iPad (always amazing how many people forget that one, the iPad is £70 less than the iPhone for the 16Gb model, albeit the wi-fi only model but as the only thing it doesn't have is the 3G/GPS module and that don't cost much at all then in terms of component cost its fair to use the base models for comparison purposes).

On the software side there's a LOT of productivity software out there for the iPad that either a) doesn't exist for the smaller iDevices or b) doesn't work anything like as well. Again, do your research on this one, there's not a vast amount you can't do on an iPad if you look carefully. Remote access to databases, document creation and editing, project management, time management, photo manipulation it's all there. Whether or not a tablet is the better solution is another question altogether but the software is starting to appear in a very small timeframe all things considered and is only going to get better.

If you look at a lot of the really ambitious software for the iPad it should be clear that it is leaps and bounds above where iPhone software is at the moment. Look at the iWork suite, look at what the Omnigroup has done.

5. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Actually, what are you saying?

I said that my argument was based on fact but once I looked it over, I realized that I also included some opinions in my argument and then proceeded to correct myself. Is that so hard to understand?

6. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    1. Why do games have to cost a lot of money to be console-quality? Selling strictly through digital downloads eliminates most of the costs involved with producing a disk-based game (no-brainer).

2. I hate to break the news to the 'un-believers,' who, like many before them, deny the natural progression of technology. Most of our computing will be mobile in the future. It only seems natural that, in time, we will be playing what is considered console quality gaming, on tablets and phones. Some developers are waiting for the right moment to hop on board, while others are leading the way and testing/optimizing the system to get ready for this next progression in gaming.

7. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I believed most of the high costs of developing a console game was because of the high console maker fees.

8. true true cod blacks was the same as MW2 which was the same as MW1, whch was the same as any other cod games. i guess that is just the nature of fps games i guess.

9. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #109 dumaz1000, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    The average length of a Gameloft tps/fps game is 2-4 hrs. Granted, for 7 bucks, that's not bad. But don't kid yourself. That is all that 7 dollars is going to buy you. 2-4 hrs of gameplay from a game that at least somewhat mimicks what some people might define as "console-quality." If you've played the SP campaign in any of the COD Modern Warfare games, or COD:BO, Gameloft is reduced to looking like a sad sack of rank amateurs in comparison. That's some serious big boy gaming there. Gameloft, if you remove them from out of the content of mobile gaming, really only swims around in the kiddie pool of game developing.

The writing is bad, the storytelling elements are bad, the dialogue is bad, the characters are cookie-cutter stereotypes, the voice-overs are awful, and the games are embarrassingly short.

These are the shortcuts that Gameloft makes that allows them to justify selling us these games for $7 a piece. If Gameloft were to drastically improve their shortcomings, we would have to pay for it. The price of their games would more than likely double. So I'm fine with Gameloft the way it is. I realize what they do well and what they don't and I'm more than willing to accept them for what they are.

But let's not going crazy and start comparing Gameloft to Activision. Gameloft is nothing more than a squished bug on the bottom of Activision's boot.

The single player experience is quite different and more diverse than you might think for the three COD games I listed above, by the way. Only the MP component gets cloned from one game from the next. And the story elements are very strong on all three, although some character are admittedly hit or miss. Gameloft can't or won't offer storytelling elements that are anywhere near the caliber of these COD games.

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    What if you compare the wii versions of call of duty to the gameloft iPad ones? I bet it would be a lot more fair of a comparison plus all those games are just so typical and overdone. Why are u guy a fans of those consoles. To me the wii is the only console worth owning wnd the iPad the only portable. You wanna know why. Cause both of these are about innovation and new ways to play rather than bells and whistles and graphics or production values overdone every year. I have my Mac and pc for those. F$k ps3 and 360. Also u didn't mention multiplayer allows these games to last more than 4 hours.

11. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Come on Scott I want to get this you don't think iPad is worthwhile or is inferior to iPod argument rolling again:

http://www.macworld.com/article/156110/2010/12/ipadofficesuite.html?lsrc=top_1

"Users and business managers alike are increasingly looking at the iPad as a potential laptop replacement. More and more companies are providing employees iPads or letting employees use their own. So, just as companies typically install a suite of desktop productivity apps (nearly always Microsoft Office) on their laptops, what should the iPad equivalent be?

COMPLETE COVERAGE

AirFilesHD »
    Calculator HD - for iPad »
    Calculator Pro+ »
    Documents To Go® - Office Suite »
    GoodReader for iPad »
    InDesign CS5 »
    Keynote »
    Notability »
    Notes Plus »
    Numbers »
    Numbers '09 »
    Pages »
    Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite »
    Word for Mac 2011 »
    zipThat »
    The answer can't be Office, because Microsoft has no iPad-compatible suite.*But there are still several office suite candidates for the iPad, including Apple's iWork suite—Pages (), Numbers (), and Keynote ()—plus Quickoffice's Quickoffice Mobile Connect Suite () and DavaViz's Documents to Go Premium (). Quickoffice has a word processor and spreadsheet editor; DocsToGo (as it's labeled on the iPad) has a word processor, a spreadsheet editor, and a tool to edit text and add notes to a presentation. All the programs read and write to the Microsoft Office file formats.

After some investigation, I was surprised to find that none of these suites is ideal (though one comes close). But I stil came up with a list of apps that I think should be the standard installation on corporate iPads—the best individual productivity apps and one recommended suite."