Adventure To Fate - A Quest To The Core (A Dungeon RPG)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Touchmint, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Knights

In the first video of this series I will focus on the knight. The knight is the highest armor class and will be able to wield the strongest weapons. The knights skills are focused around damaging stunning attacks and high defense. The knights main stats are strength (damage) and endurance (hit points).

In the video below the following skills are used:

Slash A weak physical attack with chance to stun
    Rage A buffing skill that raises strength and critical damage
    Swing A strong swinging attack with backlash
    Defend A buffing skill that raises AC and block chance
    Sacrifice A skill that drains your HP to heal SP
    Berserk A buffing skill that raises strength and stun rounds

2. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Clerics Preview

In the second video of this series I will focus on the cleric. The cleric is a light armor and weapon class. The clerics skills are focused around healing and buffing spells. The clerics main stats are wisdom (healing and spell damage).

As noted in update 13 I have mostly completed NPC skills/spells. You will see in this cleric preview video that NPCs have a lot more depth to them now. NPCs can now use skills and spells just like players and will use skills/spells from the same pool as players as well as their own pool. In the following video you will notice that NPCs have more than 1 attack per round, the ability to poison, stun, heal, buff, debuff, and much more.

In the following video you will see the cleric use the following skills/spells:

Cure - A minor healing spell
    Divine Strike - A lighting damage spell
    Righteous Mind - A wisdom buffing spell
    Soul Leech - A HP leeching spell
    Holy Armor - A protection spell (Ac buff)
    Aid - A major healing spell

3. cryformercy

cryformercy Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    ad
    You did all these by your own? Amazing! Wish you success :)

4. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Thanks for the interest! I wish for it too so I can continue making games and living my dream!

Besides the tile set (art icons) yes. I created the game engine from scratch and it is very close to completion. Next up content development / testing phase. I am pushing very very hard for a release before xmas so I really need to buckle down and stop feature creep!

5. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Rogue Preview

In the third video of this series I will focus on the rogue. The rogue is a medium armor and weapon class. The rogues skills are focused around poison and burst damage as well as some debuffing skills. The rogues main stats are agility and strength (damage and dodge).

As well as introducing the rogue class I have also completed coding all the major game systems. The latest completion was the combat system which includes multiple NPCs. This was a total rewrite of the combat system which now allows you to select which npc you which to interact with. The NPCs take turns attacking, casting, buffing and debuffing. NPCs can still use all the same skills as players as well as some skills created just for them. As of now there are about 50 skills/spells in the game and I assume by the time it is finished there will be around 75-100 skills. While introducing Multiple NPCs I also rewrote the loot system which allows each npc to drop up to 3 items (decided by their loot table).

In the following video you will see the rogue use the following skills/spells:

Stealth - A buffing skill that raises agility and grants an extra stamina
    Stab - A physical attack with a large random factor
    Blind - A debuffing skill that lowers enemy agility
    Poison Tip - A weak physical attack that applies poison
    Shadow Strike - A strong physical and magical attack
    Assassins Brew - A buffing skill that raises poison abilities
    Assassinate - An all out physical attack

You will see NPCs use the following skills/spells:

Infecting Bite - A poisoning bite
    Paralyzing Bite - A paralyzing bite
    Web - A debuffing spell that lowers agility
    Leech - A HP leeching skill
    Stealth - A buffing skill that raises agility and grants an extra stamina
    Stab - A physical attack with a large random factor

NEXT UP:

Next up I will be focusing on designing / balancing the first 5 or so floors of content (room design, npcs, items, etc…). I have a few more bugs to squash out but if all goes well I am hoping to start testing for these first few floors by early Dec. As ugly as the interface still looks the game is in a very stable and playable form so things are really looking up.

6. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    You could also add rewards for players who help promote the game or similar actions. Say 10 extra life or a better weapon for rating/reviewing the game. Reviews do help with the game getting discovered on the appstore.
    I know Blood Brothers had several mechanics in place that gave rewards relevant to the player for rating the game, liking the Facebook page or inviting new friends.

They also had the boss fights - you could not defeat a monster from a special event all by yourself so you had to bring in allies to continue the fight.

Whatever you decide on in terms of price though, hats off for the game and how it looks so far, Can't wait to play it :)

7. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    I am defiantly looking into a way to reward players for promoting the game although it will have to be on a forum since I know apple rejects "reward for rating" inside games.

I plan on having a insert code page that will allow users to redeem codes for small rewards (nothing game breaking).

As for coop fighting that won't be in the game but maybe in a future game if all goes well and I still get to make these for a living haha.

I am leaning towards a set price with no iap if there is any in app it won't be game breaking but mostly just for cosmetic rewards. When you buy the game you will get the whole game no paying to unlock more levels or anything like that.

Thanks for the interest and let me know if you have anymore ideas or questions. I am going to try to get the wizard preview video up by tomorrow.

8. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Just a quick status update:

I am just finishing up some minor yet much needed features as well as finalizing design plans.

Recently finished:
    Multiple drops from loot table
    Portal to town and back to last location system
    Level and class locks on equipping items
    Tweaked some skills/spells
    Floors 1-4 completed

Next up:
    Key / trigger / portal system (for puzzles within floors)
    Regain system for movement in macro world(every block moved out of combat will mean regain certain amount of hp and sp)
    Design interface
    Design floors 5-??

I've decided on more of a theme / story for the game. In this magical seemingly endless dungeon every 5 floors will have a different theme usually ending in some kind of boss. So far the first 1-5 have a classic dungeon feel, next 5 might be desert themed, next 5 might be jungle themed and so on.

Things are going well and I am still shooting for submission before Xmas shutdown. All that is left is interface design, 30+ floors of content and some minor bug squashes haha.

I will post the wizard preview this week and shooting to post the Druid preview by next weekend which will include the updated interface and hopefully a few more floors of content.

9. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    In the third video of this series I will focus on the wizard. The wizard is a light armor and weapon class. The wizards skills are focused around magical damage and defensive spells. The wizards main stats are wisdom (damage and skill point pool).

As well as introducing the wizard class I have also completed coding on some of the last minor systems.

Minor System Upgrades:

-Upgraded movement system (shows character icon on world map while moving)

-Boss system (boss now shows on world map and after defeated no longer spawns)

-Portal system (to and from town)

-New skills (Hit all NPCs skill)

-New and balanced starting items

-Completed the first 5 floors (first of 25-35 total floors) as you can see it takes about 5mins to run through a floor so the game time straight through should be around 4 hours (keep in mind some of the later floors will have puzzles as well as the encounters so the first run should take longer)

-Death system (sent to the temple in town at half health and half gold) you will have a chance to warp back to the start of the last floor you were on.

-Every 5 floors of the dungeon the theme will change (its a magic dungeon haha). first 5 are a classic dungeon, second 5 might be a desert, third 5 might be a jungle and so on….

In the following video you will see the wizard use the following skills/spells:

Spark - A lighting damaging spell (chance to stun)
    Frozen Shield - A weak protection spell
    Flare - A fire damage spell
    Inner Focus - Drains HP to gain SP
    Fire Ring - A ring of fire that hits all enemies

NEXT:

Next up I will be focusing on the following:

-Key system (for puzzles within floors)

-Image change after visited (once you use a key on a locked door it will appear unlocked)

-Build character interface (by selecting your character you will be able to access your inventory, equipment, advanced stats, spell book)

-Game interface

-Build content for floors 6-30

Additional notes:

I have a few people testing what content I have now. I am looking to open up testflight testing by the 10th-12th and have that go on for about a week or so. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested in beta testing access.

10. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Just a little progress update on some things....

Testing:
    Testing is going great with the small group of testers I have. They have found quite a few bugs that required some extra work I had not intended on but all is fixed now.

Game Engine:
    Temples, Portals, keys and doors coding has been completed and is now being tested and polished.

UI programming / design:
    New menu interface with the following options has been implemented: advanced stats (over 20 character stats), inventory, skill book.
    World view vastly improved: character, boss, traps and doors now show on world view.

Content development:
    First 8 of 30 floors completed and semi balanced.

As you can see I've been working hard to get everything finished up before the shutdown. It's going to be close!

To do next:
    Game engine:
    Traps and warp point
    Druid shapeshift weapon creation

UI programming design:
    Battle and world view backgrounds

Content development:
    Floors 8-30

Other:
    Testing polishing and more testing

I will be posting the Druid preview this weekend this should give you an idea of all the changes as well as showing off my fav class.

As of now things are looking good like I said I have about 8 floors (200) rooms complete. About 20 different npcs, 60 items, 50 skills/spells.

When it's all done with I'm planning on the numbers looking like this:
    30 floors (~700 rooms)
    100 npcs
    200 items
    75 skills / spells

11. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    In the fifth video of this series I will focus on the druid. The druid is a medium armor and weapon class. The druids skills are focused around magical damage and defensive spells. The wizards main stats are wisdom (damage and skill point pool).

As well as introducing the druid class I have also completed coding on some of the last minor systems.

Minor System Upgrades:

-Key and door system

-Image change after visited (once you use a key on a locked door it will appear unlocked)

-Build character interface (by selecting your character you will be able to access your inventory, equipment, advanced stats, spell book)

-Completed the first 7 floors

In the following video you will see the wizard use the following skills/spells:

Dire Wolf A morphing and buffing spell
    Natures Strike A physical attack that poisons
    Regenerate A spell that heals both HP and SP after each round.
    Grizzly Bear A morphing and buffing spell
    Feral Strike A strong physical attack
    Quake A large damaging spell that hits all

Here is the druid class preview:

Next up I will be focusing on the following:

-Polishing and balancing skills.

-Game interface

-Build content for floors 8-30

Here are some new screens of the game too for those who cant view videos

Battle Screen
    [​IMG]

World View
    [​IMG]

You can find more screens, videos and info on the site:

www.adventuretofate.com

12. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    After a long and much needed holiday break I will be back to work on the game tomorrow. Although I wasn't coding much I did get some build things done and did lots and lots of testing on the first 10 floors.

Some new things I did code include the following:

After every 5-7 floors there will be a new theme. For example the first 6 floors are a common dungeon but the next 6 are a desert type theme. Each of these mini worlds will have its own shop, portal, temple, etc... (Think Diablo and it's acts).

I fixed a few minor but game breaking bugs such as selling out of shops, casting self buffs on npcs and some other ui glitches.

As for build I completed about 7 more floors complete with npcs, items, and areas.

I'm leaning towards 4-5 acts that will come out to about 30-35 floors. Each with their own "towns" sub bosses and main bosses.

What's next...

UI still needs work for sure but I want to wait to totally complete the coding side before I mess with it too much because I feel like it will keep
    Changing.

I need to polish up world traps and warps. This should add a puzzle element to the game which should break up some of the turn based fighting and make the player think a bit.

More build work I still need to complete about 20 more floors. Thinking I will have dungeon, desert, jungle, snowy/ice, dark dungeon/ palace.

Gather all my notes and figure out how to tell the game story.

Add sound. I have a few sources of work I can use so this should be somewhat simple (fingers crossed).

So this is what I'm looking at. Trying for a mid feb release. Sorry things have been pushed back so much. This is the definition of feature creep. What started out as a test project to see if I could make a sample game has turned into a 3 month work fest.

I love where the games at and where it's going to be. I've spent countless hours playing and I've created a game I want to play. Regardless of the results of my work I've learned so much and had so much fun doing so I will be happy.

Thanks for the read and feel free to ask any questions or post comments.

13. jgainsbrugh

jgainsbrugh Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    This is Awesome! Keep up the great work. I will definitely be purchasing and supporting you!

14. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Hey thanks for the input and post!

Been working hard these past few days to polish up the second act of the game. I just finished up balancing the last boss of the act so I will post a preview video to show how things look in there as well as how the boss looks.

Looking to have a good start on act 3 (Jungle Themed) by Thursday.

Feel free to post comments or questions thanks again!

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Looking solid touchmint!

16. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Thanks!

Here is the video I promised a few days back. This video covers the Act 2 boss fight (which turns out a little one sided haha)

As I said before I am going to finish up testing/debugging this act and will have a good start on act 3 by next week.

Sorry I have been a little idle lately (lots of uninteresting code changes). Not that I can focus on content building there will be a lot more to show hopefully a video or 2 a week without giving too much away.

Right now 2/5ths through content completion we are sitting on these stats
    40npcs
    50skills
    100items
    330rooms

Running through the first 2 of 5 acts last night it took about 1:45-2 hours. Expect the last 3 acts to take a little longer so we are looking at at the least 4-5 hours game play on a speed run.

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The game sounds really interesting sound like something I'd really love. Just caught up by reading all these pages I'll have to check the videos out soon too.

18. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Thats really good to hear! Once you have a chance to check everything out let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Here are some screens for those who cant / dont want to view the videos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Just a quick update.

I completed content building (rooms, npcs, items, skills, etc) this last weekend. I am now playing through the complete game as all the classes and polishing as needed. I still need to do some interface work and add sounds/music.

Really shooting for a mid march release. Sorry things have taken longer than I initially thought. What was meant to be a little test game to learn how to make games turned into a full jrpg game (as well as building a huge game framework). Like i said before I am not really concerned with the money so its not a huge deal things took so long. As long as i can keep making apps fulltime that is all i care about!

Anyways now that content building is done here are some stats on the finished game content wise.

5 Classes
    5 Races
    60+ Skills
    150+ Items

650+ Rooms
    25 dungeon floors (Classic Dungeon, Desert, Jungle, Undead themed zones)
    75+ NPCs

Thanks again for the support and I will post some screens/videos of some of the later levels without giving too much away.

www.AdventureToFate.com

20. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Over the last few days I have been working on inserting sound as well as redesigning the interface. Here are a few sneaks of the revised interface:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please let me know what you think this is a work in progress and I would be glad to have player input!