Aera - Casual Flight Sim (official thread)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ichromo, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    In all honesty, when I watched the video I was going to post saying the ONLY thing that doesn't look amazing is the explosions... and now you've fixed them :D

2. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Awesome.

This game looks amazing. I will definitely buy when this comes out. To agree with some other posters the integration of Plus+ into this game would make it nice for some of the players to have achievements and direct challenges. I was never a fan of OpenFeint so I suggest Plus+

3. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    #43 skyye06, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    lol seeing as I don't have wifi, I could care less about openfeint or Plus+

I personally would enjoy bluetooth but thats just me

4. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    #44 Nausicaa, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    Yeah, I don't know much about Plus or OpenFeignt, but I definitely prefer having any multiplayer features handled in game. I don't think many people but kids and students have time to keep track of another community profile, or two if both systems become popular enough.

Maybe they offer serverside support to make it more convenient for developers, but again I think in-game is the simplest. Especially for a game like this with such a simple premise. Although I do appreciate the throwback to the old days of PC online gaming with clients like GameSpy and the like.

I'm gonna be checking this thread every day until this game comes out. Definitely my most anticipated right now. The concept and controls are so intriguing to me, and they look really well executed in the video. I also hope that 'second chance' feature made it into the final version.

Also, funny we all must have been thinking the same thing about the explosions, because that was the one criticism I had as well. The new ones look much more appropriate.

5. ichromo

ichromo Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    The "second chance" is there - it's very important gameplay feature, allows you to play though smoothly, without having to take off and start over every time you crash. And it looks nice as well :)

6. Ryoma

Ryoma Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    who is your artist, can you release some of the pinups as wallpaper art?
    preferably 1920x1200

7. jmmsmth

jmmsmth Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    man iphone games just keep getting better and better! cant wait for this one to be released

8. Onno

Onno Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Wow.. I love the artwork and the style of this game.
    I'm soooo gonna get this one :)

9. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I'm digging the overall art and gameplay styles, it all looks very fluid in motion. Eagerly anticipating its release.

10. ichromo

pinups/art

Every plane in the game has different girl "associated" with it. So, as you advance in the campaign, you not only unlock new planes, but see new girls as well :)
    Obviously, we don't want to reveal all of them now :)
    Here are few posters for now, we will prepare some more for you, and make them bigger sizes (1920x1200)

http://www.ichromo.com/aeramedia/poster_03.png
    http://www.ichromo.com/aeramedia/poster_02.png
    http://www.ichromo.com/aeramedia/poster_01.png
    http://www.ichromo.com/aeramedia/poster_p2.jpg

11. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow, thanks, ichromo. the first one is a keeper. :)
    the pilot in that first pic agrees with me as well.
    If all goes well we'll see this game by Friday next week, I hope.

12. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    This game really looks sharp. Looking forward to it.

13. ichromo

Nope, camera is always looking a bit from the side, but it's not fixed to your aircraft, it's cinematic.
    It never looks directly forward - no need from gameplay perspective. Also, the models of the aircrafts are so pretty, we wanted always to see your plane :)
    And, very importantly, this allows us to have very nice and detailed view of the terrain without artifacts like horizon clipping, popping patches of the terrain, etc - all the stuff you usually see in fight simulators (or you see just flat boring terrain - no details).

14. ichromo

propellers

Another visual improvement we did since the latest gameplay video - propellers added to airplanes.

[​IMG]

And they rotate, and you see the difference depending on your speed and position of the throttle control; so looks pretty cool :)

15. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    ^ Cute !! really cute........ A couple of years ago if someone showed me those screenies and told me they are from a mobile game, i would smack him really hard!!:D:D

16. ichromo

KINO mode

Another interesting feature of Aera I should mention - after every mission, when you see all the statistics of your flight, you can go to KINO mode (playback).
    So, it will playback for you the game you just played, you can pause, fast forward, restart; and what's especially cool, you can rotate the camera and look around a bit.
    My favorite is to pause on explosions and look from different angles :)
    To control the camera in KINO, you just touch the screen and move your finger - the camera rotates.

17. beetle004

Mar 23, 2009
    ^^ So what will be the price of this game??

18. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    What's the dogfight mode like? Do you just chase a single enemy? Or do you fly around battling a bunch of planes?

Need more info to make the wait less agonizing! :)

19. beetle004

Mar 23, 2009
    ^Was wondering the same!

20. ichromo

#60 ichromo, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
    DogFight

You fight one on one - there is only on enemy at a time.

But you don't always chase them - they use different tactics, depending on difficulties; evade, attack you, etc. So, the enemy can be in front of you, or behind you and anywhere around.

Once you shoot it down - new one comes out. If we had more than one enemy on the screen it would be too confusing, the camera would have to be too far away to show you all the targets - the planes would be too small on the screen, overall it would not be as fun to play and as good looking as it is now.

[​IMG]

On all the screenshots posted here your plane is the red one.

Also, keep in mind - enemies are not just some dumb random moving things, they try to use various tactics, so fighting just one at a time is fun and challenging.