Aera - Casual Flight Sim (official thread)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ichromo, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    That makes sense. So you'll do battle with multiple enemies in a stage, but just one at a time. Sounds perfect to me!

2. ichromo

ichromo Well-Known Member

Questions?

Remember, if you have any questions about Aera, gameplay related or otherwise - ask it here and it will be answered by the developers!
    We are here every day now to talk :)

3. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi, ichromo. Why is the playback mode called KINO? Kino in russian means "film". Is that why, or is it an abbreviation?

4. XRay

XRay Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Looks great!
    ..interface looking more classic pc style

I like that girls from 50s)

5. Wacko2009

Wacko2009 New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Improving the explosions?

I love how this game looks from the preview video. The only thing that I think could be done a little better are the explosions when a plane dies. The explosions look very 2D and are not very satisfying. Any plans on improving those?

6. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Earlier in the thread the developer said the explosions have been changed. He also posted a screenshot showing the new explosions, which look much better.

7. theishkid

theishkid Well-Known Member

iChomo

Forgive me if I'm wrong and just missed this in another reply, but it seems like a lot of people have been asking for a price and in every reply that's the one question that keeps getting avoided. Do you have or know what the price will be upon approval?

8. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Although you have worked on the xplosions and now they look good but you could still make it even better....like when a plane is hit, it will be great to see a huge explosion and fragments flying off in all directions and the plane (what's left of it) going down in flames. I hope you add these features in an update.

9. ichromo

#69 ichromo, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    the price

Here is a question to everybody - what do you think the price for Aera should be?

10. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Either $1.99 or $2.99

11. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I say 2.99 would be good...1.99 is never a good price

12. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm usu. succeptable and agreeable to pay whatever the developer feels is fair trade:) I personally am aligned with what Squirt said: $1.99-$2.99 seems fair in comparison to other App store trends of similar genre.

Ask what you deserve as long as you are able to remain profitable, and stand behind your product. Just don't be to firm if sales aren't acceptable, bite your pride and roll with the punches. Hopefully though, you'll be dealing with the other end of the spectrum, and once you gave a well established rep, then if you'd like, it's not unheard of to raise the price to a stable-selling price point.

Best of luck,

Richard

13. kappa

kappa Well-Known Member

I vote for $2.99.

14. theishkid

theishkid Well-Known Member

Why as a consumer would you vote to pay more for something. Car salesmen must love you.
    In all seriousness... Take a look at your competition. Is it flying in a completely 3d environment like xplane? If so you could probably get upwards to 5. If it's not completely controllable, feels like a side scroller, etc you might get 1 to 3 dollars for it.

15. ichromo

Sure, as a consumer you would always want to get best/cheapest price (ideally - free) :)
    More correctly, the question would be - what price would fill right for you for this game?

16. kappa

kappa Well-Known Member

ok... i "hope" $2.99. :)

17. ichromo

about explosions again

Well, it's kind of like this (pieces fly away, etc); wait until you see it in the game :)
    Here is one more screenshot:
    [​IMG]

We are also working on another gameplay movie in meanwhile, with all the latest features shown in there.

18. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Any noticeable differences in game play and framerate between the older generations of the touch and iPhone devices (not counting 3Gs and touch 3G)? Which devices were used for beta testing?

19. Psybir

Psybir Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I hope the iPhone 3G was the device the game was "tuned" for. I'm not eligible for the 3GS (and don't feel like dropping $600) and can't stand frame rate issues.

I don't want to leave any of the 1st gen users out either though. Hopefully it will run smooth on all of the generations.

20. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Regarding the price, there is a very interesting thread in General Discussion regarding the relationship between game pricing and profitability.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=25021

I think that if the game is really good you shouldn't shortchange yourself and sell it at a low price. Sure, you would get a lot of sales, but not much profit.
    I'd rather you make enough profit from this game to continue supporting it and adding more features, airplanes, etc. You may consider starting with an introductory price of $0.99 or $1.99 for a day or two to get a large number of initial sales, to generate hype, discussion and reviews. After that you can bump it up to $2.99 or $3.99. If the game is really good, it'll sell. There are so many games out there that go to $0.99 and that means they don't get any love any more because the devs can't afford to support an unprofitable game. Personally, I would pay $3.99 for a good game with a hope that dev would develop and support it.