Universal Aftermath - (by TwoHeads Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Devilishly Good, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Out of nowhere

This game is great! An absolute steal at the current price of 59p but I'd definitely pay 1.19 for it. Considering the dearth of zombie games in the appstore its nice to see one a bit different!

Its got everything it needs, classic 'beat the highscore' gameplay and its really creepy too.

2. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Could someone try and sell me on this?

3. What exactly was it you wanted to know that hasn't already been said (or shown) in the thread already? I think everyone's covered just about everything.

4. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I just bought this game based on all the great reviews but found myself quite sad when I beat the game in 15 minutes. Survival mode is cool and all tho it's now just on my long list of survival shooters. Pleeeease add more levels and coop mode. I will take this as the start of an amazing game.

Advice...
    -way more levels
    -different level themes
    -more diverse missions(save survivors and such)
    -better icon/splash screen
    -online coop
    -more control schemes(currently it's not so great turning around to run and shoot)

If you roll out with constant updates and raise the price each time you will have a gold mine for sure. Great job so far.

5. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Please add at least 2-player(or maybe even push it up to 4?) online coop! that would be epic! it would be like, as i said before, an isometric Left4Dead!

6. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Haven't had a chance to play a lot yet, but first impressions are really good. Sounds like it's kind of short, but the production values seem really good and the controls are great. I really like the lighting effects.

7. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    ya, the lighting was a really nice touch. especially when lightning flashes

8. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

I really really hope this game takes of with a much wider user base - it came out of the blue and yet has production values and techniques that are pretty hard to come by. I'm mesmerised by how the developer's using the player's imagination to add to the overall atmosphere of the game. Really well done and such an incredibly low price too. To be honest, I thought it was a typo when I first saw it arrive at the App store. :eek:

Having just about reached the end, I have some thoughts about other scenarios that the player could find themselves in - places where the ambience also contributes heavily to the experience. Eg.

- In an abandoned and decrepit hospital, the idea of flickering neon lights in the ceilling and from bedside tables, not just white but also red, blue... zombies and other nasty surprises waiting behind closed doors, laying on beds covered in sheets that may, or may not spring up, hiding just around the next bend of a stairwell - as well as possessed body parts chasing the character, hands that crawl by themselves, results of genetic experimentation gone-wrong in the lower basement levels. Perhaps even an element of saving someone or even the character having now been infected, always on the look-out for some antidote that offers only short relief before he succumbs to the inevitable...

- Or perhaps even placing episode two in a festering innercity high-rise housing complex that was once occupied with the more nefarious members of society. Again with lightning, but this time flashing through windows, briefly illuminating sections of rooms and corridors, suspicious movements in the shadows. Added with the additional element of survivors, can the player NOT shoot those yet with a chance to live while laying waste to the increasing variety of undead as he ventures further, of higher?

Seriously, this game has masses of potential and its execution is just right... even in the menus, the simple and bold typography choices, the way even when you scroll down to choose a level, there is some animation behind the "score" word...

I perhaps have only one suggestion.. perhaps to make the weapons a slightly different colour to the poisonous projectiles from the monsters... they all seem to be green at the moment and in the heat of battle, it does get a little confusing about what to aim for, what to avoid, and what will offer a little more hope at the end of the tunnel. :rolleyes:

Awesome game.... :D

9. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    I agree that the levels are a little short, but when the fast zombies started coming I lost my mind completely - this game was totally worth buying.

10. craigums04

craigums04 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    NY, NY
    Online co-op will make this shine.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm really sad to say I just didn't like this game.

The technical aspect is amazing but it's just not fun to play.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry to hear that. Guess no game will please everybody.

13. mcc

mcc New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    That is some darn nice lighting.

14. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    whats your favorite weapon guys? mines the combat shotgun

15. zI Veo Iz

zI Veo Iz Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    The 2nd shotgun is beast especially for taking the reds out.

16. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    ya, that's the combat shotgun for you. my second favorite is the assault rifle

17. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Okay, so wait... The shooting is automatic, and the only aiming you have is your flashlight?

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You move with the virtual stick and turn left or right with the slider. The flashlight is basically your field of vision. Whenever a zombie is in that light you fire on it automatically. Standing still makes the guy crouch to steady your aim.

It's really tough to enjoy personally because accuracy is part of your score in the game... Yet you get zero control over it

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, you have full control of your accuracy: just stop moving (you'll see your character kneel to take shots). The downside, of course, if you're much more vulnerable to attack. The scoring is based on how much you aim vs how much you run.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You don't have full control. While running I often found my character taking wild shots at zombies that weren't a threat. Not only were those wild shots not hitting their target but I was wasting ammo when a horde of zombies were right around the corner.

Like I said, crouching definitely improves accuracy but that isn't full control. I should get to choose when I shoot so I can conserve ammo when I need to.

This is much less an issue in survival mode (i'm ranked #2 for right now) where running and gunning is needed. But I've given up on the story mode after the 3rd stage.