Universal Age of Rivals (by Roboto Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, Jun 22, 2017.

1. 18 hours is considered a short amount of time to you?

I quit Card Crawl because I didn't like having to grind to unlock all the cards. It became a drag. I'll still give this a chance, though.

2. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    TouchArcade Alliance is already full, sorry I cannot accept anymore request. Looks like limit is just 10 people. Hope they can increase that.

Apart from screen ratio issue on iPad (black bars, I hate that) and online only (I always prefer online anyways if it's working but I understand) I'm really enjoying this. It's not as complicated as it looks from screenshots, tutorial is very well done and you can jump into online play after ~3 minutes.

3. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Just managed to tutorial and and 1st play after having bought. Very nice looking not too complex, but a fair amount of mechanics to consider. Great weight of game - will be playing a lot! Top works dev!

4. vmyneni

vmyneni Well-Known Member

May 25, 2017
    Offline Play

Good news. After some investigation, I think I can get a functional version of Offline Play working in a reasonable amount of time. We sort of have to redo each feature a bit to work either offline or online, so we'll start with the important ones: being able to complete the tutorials, customizing your rival guaranteed cards, playing vs. the computer, and earning coins (that you can spend when you get back online). I'd like to release that feature set first.

Over time, we can extend more aspects of the game to Offline mode (missions, campaigns, and buying card packs). Some features (alliances, monthly tournament, multiplayer games) will never come to Offline mode because they don't make as much sense offline.

5. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Despite the online requirement, this is a really solid game and very under-priced for what you get. Loving this game!

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Now bought, purely because of this. Well maybe not purely because it reads like many are having fun but still, this was the trigger.

7. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Bug report:

I beat the computer on hard for the first time, and it froze on a "saving..." popup before the score summary table. Had to kill the app. Did not receive credit for the win. Frustrating. I can understand the calls for offline play.

8. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Just purchased and ran the first tutorial. I also checked a couple of YouTube vids in order to get a quick handle on mechanics. Man, this game already has its hooks in me. Well done!

I've had my eye on this thread for a few days and it's great to see the developer so active and open to suggestions. That's actually what got me reaching for my wallet. I look forward to digging into this game, and pleased to see the future plans.

9. vmyneni

vmyneni Well-Known Member

May 25, 2017
    Yes, I agree that would be frustrating. As soon as we get the basic offline mode done, we'll look into a more graceful way to handle save errors like this. Thanks for the feedback. If you send an email to [email protected] with your userID, I can go into your account and give you credit for the win.

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    (Edit) I see the developer here...

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Same here. I think this is a bit different, though, in that the game would already be great if it didn't have all the unlockable stuff and that there is a lot of things to acquire, so the pace is faster. In addition, you can encounter cards (and even use them) before they are unlocked because opponents will have them. Finally, the new cards just add more options and variety. They don't change the game fundamentally, per se. That might sound like a negative, but I'm in no rush to unlock the next thing like in a game like Card Crawl.mhope that makes sense.

I think this is a game that you could play daily for years, if you wanted.

12. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Personally I don't mind the game does not reveal all the cards at first.

But some cards are really insane: 10 cultral points?

I finish the tutorial and read the rule book I feel not entirely understand. I am not sure how econ and tax work. Also, there is no explanation of the screen features in the rulebook.

There are more interactions between players than I first thought: you really cannot bury your head and play your cards as what other player does affect your game creatly and there can be a lot of insane things going on throughout a turn!

Oh, I barely won a game against normal AI as I just had more gold left when the game ended.

13. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Oh cool. Thanks!

14. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Fully getting the hang of this now. What a brilliant game

15. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #75 currymutton, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Question:

How does econ work?
    How the resource work for (or against) the player when purchasing card?

To Developer, please consider:

Making the multiplayer async instead of sync?
    Add in the rulebook a page explaining the screen elements?
    Rotatable screen

16. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So it doesn't require online all the time, just to start. I played for 5 hours on plane okay

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thank you for the prompt response - both here as well as over email!

Well done. :)

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I have a silly question. Why is this game so cheap?

19. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Get off your high horse. It must be nice for you to not have any restrictions on your connectivity. Do you realize that for some people, internet connection during the day, or large parts of the day, is simply not an option? If a game has an online requirement, it's not that I --won't-- play it, it's that I --can't-- play it.

The game looks great, and from the comments, sounds great, too. I bought it before there was any mention that it's online-only, and therefore, the game has all the playability of a rock for me. I'd feel cheated if it was $40 or ten cents. I'm very excited that the dev seems to be looking into making the game available offline, but this to me means "making the game available," period.

20. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Get off YOUR "high" horse. You don't have the right to feel cheated when the app description literally says an internet connection is required AT START to register an account. You bought it because you got excited about everyone saying it was good. You, the consumer, should have read the description. It's not hidden, it's not in some secret place, it's in the description.

If you had enough internet time to download, you had enough internet time to register, just like the description says.

The toxic attitudes in this forum are draining. 99% of it is because people simply didn't read what they were buying.