Agricola (by Playdek) [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pbb76, May 23, 2013.

1. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Always.count.me.in

GC id: karajohn13

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Bummer, was looking forward to Agricola on the iPad this week..oh well I've waited this long.

Definitely a fun board game for all members of the family, very easy to get into and playing a digital version means less set up and the AI will do all the additional work. ;)

3. bchccc

bchccc Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Consultant
    Oeiras, Portugal
    Gonna have to wait a bit more:
    "A “multiplayer change” is the culprit for the delay, and Playdek resubmitted the app to Cupertino this past Friday" (24th May)

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I would say a healthy bunch of people as at least one poster in this thread is female(not myself).

I normally only play single-player games as I don't really like waiting for others to play but funny thing about that is I myself sometimes suffer from the analysis paralysis and don't like making others wait for me. So I just stick with single-player board games. :)

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: I don't want to play with AI unless absolutely necessary. I never touched the AI of Fluxx and Penny Arcade and play only with human (I suppose they are not another remote AI)

Delighted: With the sudden appearance of KOTOR and the ongoing struggle with Eclipse, I don't mind waiting for Agricola a little bit more...

Amendment: yes, there is a trailer released.

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
  7. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Assessment: With all the new stuff/upgrades coming in last week, I would say I am happily busy in June.

Observation: The trailer gives some idea what the game is and it feels very polished and interesting! I think it is hard to put off by the art style.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Looks great, can't wait for the release.

9. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Query: Any status update? Playdek's Twitter account is rather quiet.

10. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Playdek responded to a few Facebook comments tonight:

1. The app still hasn't been approved.

2. It will not be released upon approval. There will be some delay to allow websites to request review codes and post news about the release.

Looks like it will be next week at the earliest.

11. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Appreciation: Thanks, I am not very much a FB user...

Statement: If nothing great comes out this week, (don't tell me PvZ, okay?) I may get Warhammer and I heard it is too unforgiving and too random. I like this in the vein of Ascension and Phantom Leader.

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Why don't Playdek start sending out their review copies now, instead of waiting to do so after Apple's approval? It is not like Apple will demand any major changes to the gameplay...

13. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #53 Mythbuster, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    This company is more and more a joke!

I don't know the board game so I'am not going to miss much ... I will pass this one!

By the way: Where are the promised things for Sumoner Wars? :rolleyes:

Only two weeks left to the start of the new Catan Card game! :D

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    They said new Summoner Wars content will come in July, which would mean October/November at best. Playdek is sitting on way too many licenses with not enough staff to manage them all. I can completely understand why Gary Games chose to end their partnership, the rate of maintenance updates and content updates is pathetic. Summoner Wars was last updated in July 2012, despite the app still having major bugs like Leah's health and poor Freeze implementation. I still respect Playdek as a veteran board game app developer, but they are no longer one of my favorite developers.

15. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep, that is 100% true! This is the reason why I will skip this one! I am a big fan of board games and also a kind of collector (I have more than 100 games which I even just played less than an hour) ... but their kind of marketing is just silly ...

But ... most people will buy their stuff on day one ... so there is no reason for them to change anything ... :rolleyes:

16. Blublub

Blublub Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    This is getting ridiculous. I'm about the biggest Agricola fan around, but I'm even thinking of giving this a pass at this point. Brilliant marketing strategy Playdek :rolleyes:

17. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Frustrating isnt it - but no way people are going to skip it just cos it isnt out right now. I know how you feel and why you are saying that, but once its out, we will all lap it up and the wait will have been forgotten.

But that said, its really poor from Playdek. Perhaps the lesson for them here is to keep their mouths shut on release dates until they are 100% sure.

They should still be giving daily updates though on their FB page - just something to keep things ticking over. They must have a tonne of assets, screen shots, interviews they could do etc. To just have radio silence bar the odd comment every 4-5 days is not clever.

Bah! Just come out tonight will you!! :(

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, Playdek's recent titles have all gone on sale 1-2 months after release, and I know a couple of people who are going to wait until it hits $0.99 on principle, but in general I don't think the wait or the response to it is going to do too much damage.

19. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    At this point I think Playdeck might be feeling the pressure. Both Agricola & Eclipse were announced at about the same time, and both are highly acclaimed and anticipated ports. What BD did with Eclipse was beautiful, and now it almost seems like Playdeck is fumbeling with this more prestigious title. A little delay isn't the end of the world, but it's definitely putting doubt in my head about how good this port will be when compared to Eclipse

20. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    While I agree with you, I'm starting to think Playdek is being held to an impossibly high standard. Ascension is my most played game, I'm approaching 2,000 games, because the did such a great job porting the board game. I've never played Agricola so I'm anxious to see how good the tutorials are. The only thing Playdek needs to work on is PR. It would have been in their best interest to quietly get Apple approval then set a release date. The way they are handling this release...nothing good can come of it. Anyway, hopefully we will see this by next week.