Air Supply - SOS by Quantum Sheep (Universal)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Bosses! I like the large uvula design :D

2. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    They are a lot of work, believe me! :O

You'll get to see them at the end of each planet.

So you play the 10 levels of one planet, then a boss appears, then onto the next planet!

That's the plan, anyway!

My concern is that more casual players will find them difficult.

I hope not! But just in case, there'll be a little button you can press that switches the bosses off.

The balance is that destroying bosses will give you lots of points.

So, the decision for players will be:

Kill bosses, get lots of points for that high score
    or
    Avoid bosses, but progress further more easily

I think most players will find them a fun distraction, but I try and think of everyone that'll play it ;)

I have some interesting ideas for how you'll destroy them too, which I hope I can get in. Some will be the standard 'avoid bullets, shoot the weak spot' type, but others will hopefully have more interesting boss mechanics :)

I have to make 10 of these...

*faints*

QS =D

3. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Good luck on all your work!

I'm headed off of Touch Arcade for Lent (I tend to like to waste a lot of time here when I could be doing so many better things, like work or helping people or not trolling), so I will see you all on the flip side.

Also, I'm sort of anal/OCD/weird, so I have no more games that run in landscape. I'm not sure where that leaves our relationship, QS. I'll have to reevaluate life after Lent.

Love and Peace to all.

4. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #64 quantumsheep, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Thanks! :)

I find if you're being productive ALL the time, it's nice to relax and do something you enjoy 'just for fun'. But each to their own!

Honestly, this did strike me as a little odd, and I'm certainly not here to judge you! Also, I feel the same way about 99% of free to play games, so can sort of understand! :D

But you know me. I will tempt you back to the dark-side when the time is right ;)

QS =D

P.S. If you're reading this after lent, the game should be out! How'd you like it?

:D

5. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hello! :D

[​IMG]

QS =D

6. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    *taps glass*

Well, not a lot to report today, other than I've made some awesome progress on alien attack patterns - the little blighters no longer just move in a straight line all the time! :D

Makes a big difference, believe you me!

Also, I was going to post a screenshot for #screenshotsaturday but decided to do a little vine video instead, so here it is:

https://vine.co/v/MqJjF1iYIKY

Hope you're all having a top weekend!

QS =D

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Alien chicken boss?!

Those enemies look sweet, like little skull water balloons!

And of course, the music sounds awesome :D

I'm digging that color as well!

8. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    *wakes up*

Hello!

*scrambles for his notes*

Let me check!

*checks*

Nope - I think this is just a new alien adversary! Look at how evil he looks!

Go on, just look at him!

Scary, right? *shudders*

Thank you! Glad you like them! Getting enough variety in the aliens was my biggest obstacle in this game!

Also, notice they're not moving just left and right - they move slowly till they get a little bit on the screen then quickly move to the other side in a wavy pattern...

It's what I've been working on this week - different movement patterns for the aliens! It's coming along pretty well - hopefully it'll make each alien you encounter feel different, and encourage new strategies when dealing with them! :)

You have no idea! :D (I'm modest by nature, but seeing as I didn't write the music, I can tell you it is awesome. ALL of it! :D)

Cheers! That's 'green' (obviously!)

All the colours from the previous games are in of course, but because I had 10 of everything else, I had to come up with a new 10th colour!

It's the last one you unlock, and I hope people will like it!

As the ranking system is tied in to the colours you've unlocked, I had to come up with a rank above Elite... It's a doozy. I hope you'll like it when you get it! :D

Thanks for your comments! Onwards for the sheepy! :D

QS =D

9. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

I'll just add my vote for everything even remotely related to this game.

Bring it ;)

10. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thank you, sir, that's very kind!

It's lovely to know that people have an interest in this. It honestly keeps me going and motivated.

Seriously!

I'm not sure I'll have anything new to post for #screenshotsaturday - I am trying to put as much as I can into the game, but I also want to keep certain things as surprises!

There aren't enough surprises in games these days!

QS =D

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I beg to differ! Many games have ridiculous IAP schemes that were very unexpected :D

Not sure if that fits in the same boat, but it definitely surprises me sometimes!

12. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hehe - I meant *nice* surprises!

I want people grinning ear to ear, not frowning in fear!

And I'm a poet and I didn't know it ;)

QS =D

13. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hey everyone, hope you're having a great weekend! :D

Just a quick update for #screenshotsaturday - here's the options screen (or part of it anyway).

Not very exciting I know, but it shows that even the options have unlocks in them.

[​IMG]

Seriously, it's like unlock heaven in here ;)

Also, while I'm here, the lovely planetshooter wrote some words about the game here:

http://arcadelife.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/air-supply-sos-believe-the-lack-of-hype/

Which I'm very thankful for! Thank you, sir!

Progress is slow. I know what I have to do. I have a plan. I'm slowly getting there!

Cheers!

QS =D

14. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Still cannot wait for this to hit. After Elite is it Ultimate (play the game)?
    Fantastic stuff.

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    So many unlocks! So little time! I'm going crazy!

16. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thank you guys for the very kind words!

It terrifies me when people are excited - I don't want to let anyone down!

But, on the plus side, this will be the biggest game I've ever made. I want it full of surprises! I want it to make you smile every time you start it up :D

No, it's not, but you're thinking like I am (start worrying!) - in the options screen I posted you'll notice 'Ultimate' mode.

This is a nod to Ultimate Play the Game in that the platforms are all locked to the 'classic' position from Jetpac.

Normally the platforms shift position every 5 levels, so I put this in as a nice extra for those that love Jetpac and want to play SOS in that classic layout ;)

I love the 'post Elite' rank name though, and I hope you guys will too. You'll just have to get there yourself to see it (and don't tell anyone! Let them be surprised!)

I'm going insane here thinking about how it all fits together! :O

I really wanted to give as many 'customisable' options as possible to people.

You already know there's 10 unlockable planets, characters, music and colours...

Then there's the 12 unlockable perks, which let you customise how the game's played a bit.

Then there's at least 10 options, to tailor the game to how you like it...

Honestly, it's all built with you guys in mind. Especially the controls! For example:

You'll be able to swap the controls (so if you're left handed, no problem!).
    There is only one action button - it controls your thrust AND your fire. (it works - so far!!)
    I'm conscious that some iPad players like to have the controls 'closer to the middle of the screen' - it's just more comfy for them that way - as a result, the button sizes are stretched upwards, so no need to move the buttons - they just work up to 3/4 of the way up the screen.
    If an air pickup lands 'behind' the controls it sends out little 'waves' so you can see it better.

I think I'm going mad :O

QS =D

17. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hey all, hope you're having a good weekend!

Not much to report this week, other than I'm still here, till plugging away, still got a mountain of stuff to do :O

I'm really going to try and get this done the week before Easter, but with my realistic hat on (it's 3D and shaded properly and stuff) it might end up the week *after* Easter.

Hopefully not though!

I'll keep you up to date!

Nothing special for #screenshotsaturday this week - just a picture of a table.

No, not *that* kind of table! I mean like an array ;)

It's just some text.

The game will have a LOT of text in it btw. Which might seem odd, but I love making little stories and things up and writing, so I try and put as much in as I deem appropriate for the game.

Oh, and I put laser mines in. Think of them as like the lasers in Jetpack Joyride.

Kinda...

Anyway, speak soon - sorry I'm not updating as often as I like but I'm mega busy as you can imagine!

Cheers! Be well! :D

QS =D

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahah "Oh, and I put laser mines in."

The nonchalant-ness of that phrase made me giggle

19. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Awesome :D

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Good luck with you work captain sheepy! Don't die on us!