AlphaSwap: The MMO Word Game - Beta Test AlphaSwap & Get A $10 iTunes Gift Card!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Black Ops, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Black Ops

Black Ops Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
  2. ThisIsAUsername

ThisIsAUsername Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    I appear to be locked into sandbox mode... Or maybe I just don't understand this? Other games are saying welcome back to sandbox game center.

3. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

What's next? :)

4. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    You can sign out of sandbox GC mode just like signing out of GC normal mode. You can also delete provisional profiles. Just dont delete any for any games you still want to play or test.

The Beta Tester $10 Checklist Spreadsheet should be accurate. Please contact me if you see an error.

Awesome job on Beta Report #1. The devs are pouring over the gold mine of info in there and we are going to try to accommodate some of your wants and address some of your dislikes.

A new beta build is almost complete. Going in...

-We are working to address the dictionary load time on older devices but not much you can do when you have 5 dictionaries in a game! However starting a game with the dictionary still loading seems to slow down the dictionary loading so its a vicious circle. We might cheat and move the credit to the opening screen and let the dictionary load in the background uninterrupted for a few more seconds. For now just let the dictionary fully load before starting a game and it will actually be faster.

-Rankings for vs World are going in!

-Visual message for end of Swap and beginning of Submit stage.
    (there is an audio countdown for those who have the sound on!)

-We are working on a tap through tutorial.

-FB & Twitter posting is going in but might not make this build.

-Achievements will probably be next build.

-Other secret stuff we stole from the Coca Cola recipe vault.

Staying Out For Now(there are technical reasons for it, most being it would take a long time and cost a lot):

-The background graphics or optional menu colors. We looked into this but it would be a major change in Unity.

-The length of the High Score Table. I agree this is too short. We can post the entire list line to our website each game but that kind of sucks too because its not in the game itself. But like the menus major graphical elements are one of the hardest things to change in Unity and the high score table is a big piece of graphic goo. We will assign a secret task force Code Name: Getting High to work on this.

-There cant be an "end round early" button. There is no speeding up in vs World. Everyone needs to stay together.
    In offline or hotseat, If you want to end the swap stage early without using swaps, just swap two letters you wont use back and forth to speed up. We will look into re-purposing the submit button as an end round button in swap phase.

-The Minus 25 Point Penalty for illegal words!
    This was the biggest complaint. However it is a big penalty for a reason. To stop people from guessing at words. A small penalty will have people guessing left and right. With a 25 pt penalty you shouldn't be trying to guess at words worth 2 points! And to stop the troll who would try to score negative 10,000 points every round, we added the round terminated kick in the fanny to it. We are pretty sure after -25 points and end of your round, you will remember what isn't a word much better than if we just docked you 5 points! Plus, secretly we want you to go learn some new words to get better at the game.

Who knows, learning new words might pay off in something other than AlphaSwap somewhere along the way!

Get ready for Part Deux!

5. skeblik

skeblik Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Awesome! I can't wait!

6. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Have you got my form#1 feedback?

7. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Take a look at the checklist

8. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    #88 Black Ops, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Um, we may have a 24 hour delay on the next build due to the release of iOS 6.1.3.

We need to take a look at what they have put in the new iOS to screw us developers....

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop about the next beta build and some of the profanities we are using in the office to describe Apple's timing.

P.S. Whoever is Phoenix....I just crushed your high score vs world! Quartet with a 2x Q helped! :)

9. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

No problems :)

10. XvEsunavX

XvEsunavX Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Apple has a great track record... Of pissing me off. Taking 4 of my 8 gigs for updates is a great way to retain customers. Especially when other options offer such inferior options. Like supported rooting, sanctioned homebrew, etc. just give me my baldurs gate on itouch and is shut up. People say it'd be too small, I've soloed that game with almost every class. And now that enhanced edition is out, almost every kit. Sorry for the rant in your thread. Apple has some issues.

11. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey guys, wanted to get opinions on removing Multiplayer LAN from the game. It would save some space and we are of the mind that if you want to play with a friend you can play vs world if you both have devices, or hotseat if you do not.

Does anyone have an argument as to why you would only want to play one friend in a private game when you can compare scores just as easily in vs world?

I am thinking by removing LAN we put more people into vs World which is what I think everyone wants...a huge mmo word game where you play against lots of other people.

We might release Beta Part Deux with that feature removed to see the space we save and speed we gain.

Thanks for the input.

12. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hi all

Beta Version 0.31 is available on TestFlightApp.com

Happy weekend.

13. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    I submitted the new test form.

14. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

I skiped 0.31 and install 0.32, hope that's ok :)

15. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    you can base the response form on either version, 0.31 or 0.32. We just fixed a few things over the weekend so 0.32 is a little cleaner.

16. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for the response :)

17. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    This was to be a post about 0.34 Beta being released, but in the middle of it we had breaking news from the devs...

Beta 0.35 is available from TestFlightApp.com!

Fill out the beta form #2 here
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cJd4uhzag78Uk9d_kEdCgbR9nsf6xzVmXLByhAVdJC4/viewform

Treasures to find:
    • World rankings
    • achievements
    • End Round Button in lower left corner
    • tap through tutorial(use the new end round button in bottom left corner!)
    • added facebook / twitter posting from end game screen that posts game ranking
    • also locked options from the menus that are not purchased

You may also find an easter egg or two if you spell a nice word...

As a bonus, here are some words you may find advantageous when you are playing:

7/6/6/5 words(a 7 letter, (2) 6 letter, and 5 letter words in it among others)
    reviler
    alevins

7/6/5/5 word(a 7 letter, a 6 letter, and (2) 5 letter words in it among others)
    bowings
    lowings
    mowings
    rowings

7/6/5/4 words
    fallows
    gallows
    hallows
    mallows
    sallows
    tallows
    wallows

18. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    ***HEADS UP FOR IPOD TESTERS***

Beta 0.35 may be pushing the limits of an ipod 4. We think it is the addition of the new end round button or some memory leak issue with the ipod 4. Devs will be working on it tonight. Hope to have it resolved by morning.

For iphones and ipads the game appears to have no issues. Hope everyone using these devices are enjoying the upgrades!

19. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    Oh crud. I noticed this while playing but submitted my Test Form way later and totally forgot about it. My bad, sorry.

20. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    If Chief Montgomery Scott were inside the ipod 4 he would be saying,

"She can't take much more capt..." and then he'd be dead because AlphaSwap nuked the warp core.

whoops, our bad Scotty.