Universal Antihero (by Versus Evil)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, Dec 12, 2017.

1. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
  2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #22 y2kmp3, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    The game is surprisingly deep. At the moment, though, I found the skill tree to be a bit of overwhelming to learn and to perfect its use.

Can someone offers some beginner's pointers on what to get initially and what to focus on?

For example, the truant is tough to deal with. It seems like the saboteur is an inadequate defense against it because it is temporary and expires even without use. There is little point of building up the urchins to earn a victory point in churches because the victory point can be taken away if the urchins are evicted. Likewise, it seems like a waste to spend coins to amass urchins to fill up businesses because they are so vulnerable.

Each game is also far too long. Even early on (such as stage 3), it can easily take 30 to 45 minutes to beat.

On the positive side, the game is superbly polished and atmospheric. Game mechanics, at least for those I understood, are very sound and interesting.

3. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Will there be secret codes for iOS, similar to those for the Steam version? I don't see an option for them so far.

4. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Oh, thanks for the info.

5. dougthead

dougthead Active Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Tutorial?

I’ve never played this before, but looks interesting. Does this game have a decent tutorial, or is the game pretty simple?

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Does it not save after each stage? Because that length would be a problem for me.

7. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    The campaign eases you into the mechanics of the game, but I wouldn't say it's simple. It's fairly straightforward, but many strategies are not readily apparent.

How to Play (Gamepedia)
    https://www.gamepedia.com/blogs/1494-how-to-play-antihero-understanding-currency-units

Official wiki:
    https://antihero.gamepedia.com/Official_Antihero_Wiki

8. timconkling

timconkling Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Yep, the game saves the current level progress when you end your turn. You don't need to play through a match in a single sitting.

(I'm Tim, the Antihero creator - happy to answer any questions you guys have!)

9. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Hi Tim! Thanks for visiting and for Antihero.

10. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Great job on capturing a board game feel.
    Excellent fit & finish, on par with my favorite iPad board game, Small World 2.

11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    What was the pre-order price? I’m still learning about pre-orders and would have done it...ugh...

12. timconkling

timconkling Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Pre order price was $3.99. I think the price is still good through at least the end of today, after which it goes up to $4.99.

13. Beth

Beth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 29, 2014
    Professional do-nothing'er
    Eastern usa
    Normally when I see something described as a "board game" I'm outta there, they just don't appeal to my single playing self, as most require social media accounts, which I also loath. However, this really doesn't seem like a traditional board game, so I'm intrigued. The story driven campaign is perfect for my unsocial/reclusive self, also looks like the pvp isn't totally dependent on FB which is a huge positive in my book.
    Hope this isn't totally difficult, especially for someone like myself,who doesn't really play board games .....that's really my only concern.
    It was still available at the pre order price when I purchased a few min ago...:)

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Bought it!

Had to get this as I recall reading about it over the year and for the $3.99 couldn’t help but to try it! The reality is becoming a Dad is amazing and I now have less time to play games! Looking forward to trying this in between feeds, sleepless nights, etc...

15. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Those assassins truant officers are annoying!
    I had an amazing gang go pop, same turn lost maxed out business.

16. Silver99

Silver99 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Just bought at preorder price even though my ipad is sick and the lcd display makes everything look like it fell out of a picasso painting. Couldnt resist. Will hold off playing until I get my device fixed though. :D

17. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    I hope the preorder price is still in effect when I get home, cause I've got just enough left on my iTunes account. :D

Was thinking about getting it in the Steam Wintersale, but this is the type of game that is iPad material.

18. Harti

Harti Member

Jul 1, 2012
    What’s behind the IAPs, may I ask?

19. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    characters skins only

20. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Hi Tim, happy to see you here, really nice game!

Appreciate if you could also update for iPhone X's screen size, thanks a lot:)