Any dual stick shooters with a twist?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Pocket RPG is also quite unique for being a full action RPG, while being controlled in a dual stick scheme.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    One thing to note is that Fireball SE isn't really a dual-stick shooter - probably has more in common with Tilt to Live.

As far as Inferno+ and Ballistic, it's a tough call. Inferno+ is fun for the exporation/RPG aspects. But Ballistic, despite what many thought was a little underwhelming graphic wise with all balls on the attack, gets insane and is a blast with all of those balls having different characteristics.

+1 on this. One of my favorite action RPGs with the DSS controls giving it a different feel.

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#23 Bronxsta, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    I bought Inferno+. So much fun. Really intense. However I don't really notice any differences in the ship types yet

Thanks for the recommendations
    Inferno and Bug Heroes should entertain for weeks
    ---
    And the lite version of Fireball is great. Why should I upgrade to the full version? Probably will once I'm done with Inferno, but the mode in the lite version seems to provide tons of gameplay for free

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    There are two shot types and two shield types. The four ships each have a different combination. Homing shot with repulse shield, reflecting shot with electro shield, etc.

5. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Pocket RPG is really good. Solomon's keep, Solomon's boneyard are well worth trying out.
    For something a little more obscure I'd suggest Flying Daggers. It's a dual stick platformer. The controls are a little touchy, I got over it and played through the whole game though. Some of the early levels seem kind of wave based, like super crate box, etc. After beating the enemies you move on to a boss battle. Some of the later levels are more in the vein of a traditional platformer. If not for the controls this game would have been amazing. As it is, it's still one of my favourite dual stick shooters on the AppStore.

6. Blackcat1313

Blackcat1313 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Are you sure it hasnt been pulled? I cannot find this game.

7. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #27 Nobunaga, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  8. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Never said it was. I was joking around. You might not want to jump to conclusions like this in the future. :rolleyes:

9. Bronxsta

#29 Bronxsta, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    I've been playing Fireball Lite and damn, it is so intense. Squeezing through the tightest openings between the hordes of enemies is just badass. Was just going to keep the lite version but now I'm definitely going to buy the full version.

- Are there an kinds of upgrades like in Crossfire (awesome) and Inferno (really awesome)?
    - I saw that the XBLA version has boost, what about the IOS version?
    - What do the full version of Fireball have or add that I can't already experience with the Lite version?

10. That's what "/thread" means. You might want to:
    1. Not be so defensive
    2. Not make such a big deal about it
    3. Remember what /thread means

In the future. Have a nice day.

11. Bronxsta

Oh and for Fireball, what're your preferred settings? I like floating stick and white background

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Don't know if its been mentioned but if your looking for a dual stick and tower defense hybrid check out Vampire Rush. Lots of fun, recommended.

13. Bronxsta

#33 Bronxsta, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    Radiangames seems to be the go-to dev for these genre.

Taking about combining genres, their game Ballistic seems to combine all their features in one game. It has the Upgrades from Inferno and Crossfire and the activating bombs/ slow-mo from Fireball.

Would you recommend Fireball SE or Ballistic SE? I'm loving the Fireball lite version, so intense slipping through tight gaps and timing bombs. But Ballistic looks really good

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I may be in the minority, but I'd recommend Ballistic for some of the reasons you mentioned. It has the upgrade system, which lends a nice customizable aspect, as well as more varied enemies than Fireball. And shooting stuff is fun.

Both are excellent, though.

15. Bronxsta

Would you consider Towelfight 2 a dual stick shooter? It's described as one but how does hectic does it get?

16. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Inferno+ started laggin pretty hard at later levels on the iphone 4 - I also think there's an interesting asteroid mining themed dss but I can't think of the name

17. Bronxsta

Saw Beat Hazard mentioned on the first page

So I played the lite version...OH GOD MY EYES!!! MY EEEYYYEESS!!
    ---
    I know there's a boss rush mode and at least 375 unique "levels" in my case but what else is there that makes the game good beside the Audio=Gameplay mechanic? Upgrades, different weapons, other modes?

And can someone explain the pickups and the song mechanic again? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but I didn't see much of an effect on gameplay beside the flashing

And final question: can you set playlists or queue up songs in a row?

18. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I bought it a while ago at 2.99 and didn't see as much music interaction as was advertised by the game and other players here, and I tried tons of different music. I honestly didn't like this game, for me the best are Bug Panic and Inferno+.

19. Bronxsta

Really? Ok, might skip Beat Hazard

How about Infinity Field? Only 0.99 and I've heard people say it's one of the best dual sticks on IOS. And it got some kind of AI update? I saw the dev trailer about the enemy AI but it wasn't very clear. How did the AI update affect the game?

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    IF is a great DSS. One of my long term favorites, although I was a beta tester, and so have some bias. Controls are great though. The AI changes the game around because if you keep doing the same tactic, the enemy will start spawning in a way to negate it. I think you'll like it if you like Fireball and Ballistic.