Any good side scrolling beat 'em ups?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by stutz, May 22, 2010.

1. Fletch11

Fletch11 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
  2. BTM4444

BTM4444 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Freshman In College. Studying Public Administratio
    Cleveland, Ohio
    #22 BTM4444, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    Zombieville is a side scroller beat em up game. It's got a lot of content and is definitly worth it. Idk if u got it alrdy or watever but u should at least give the lite version a try.

3. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I probably should have titled this thread "isometric" or "psuedo 3D" side scrolling beat em'ups. It's a mouthful but I think it expresses the intent of my original post better.

4. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Chuck Norris is alright.

5. crazyfruitgal

crazyfruitgal Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Full Time Mum
    UK
    Zombie shock I bought earlier, looks and plays great

6. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Caligo Chaser is awesome. You won't regret that download. It's hours and hours of play, if you accept all the sub quests.

What about Blade of Betrayal?

7. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Fly Fu is also pretty ! And I can recommend Angerofstick-friend which is pretty cool and fun !

But in 3D there's not better choice than OMG Ninjas IMO :)

8. Nibelung Valesti

Nibelung Valesti Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Hybrid, while having RPG elements, seems to be something you may be interested in. It took me a little while to get used to the controls, but it's a pretty fun game.

Care to explain? I own both and they're really different.

9. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Even a lazy port of the Original Double Dragon should make me happy !

10. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Caligo Chaser is pretty good. It is a side-scrolling beat 'em up combined with an rpg.

11. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    People said on appspy or theads that controls are terrible ,story game isn't finished and there's in appbuy features. Is that true ? 'cause the lite version seems to be as good as you told.

12. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    The controls can be a little unresponsive at times. I'm not sure about the story, but I put in 10 hours and I'm not even level 50 yet. There are no in-app purchases. Regardless of the controls, it is still a very fun game.

13. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Hum thanks a lot for this good answer, I'll get a deeper look upon my lite version :)

14. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Never fear... I have some beatemups planned. Nice, meaty action like Double Dragon, River City Ransom etc. with no white-haired girly-boy sissies. ;)

15. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Great to hear! I was just about to post that develops should be working on these types of games since there aren't a whole lot on the appstore. Glad to also hear that a developer of your caliber is working on it. Hopefully you'll make heaps of money. Good luck with it - can't wait to hear more about it.

16. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    DUDE! This is good stuff right here. I'm excited.

17. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Revenge of the Mad John was decent and definitely one of the more unique beat em ups. It's a side scroller where you can move up and down the 2D plane as well ala Streets of Rage and other classics. He also took the digitized actor route where all of the characters are live people recorded/photographed like in the good Mortal Kombat games, which screams early 90's nostalgia. Check out the trailer if interested here

18. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Look really sweet. Reminds me a lot of the arcade game NARC. Is it out yet? Couldn't find it on the appstore.

19. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #39 nodoctors, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    Well, it's been out for a while now, and even went free a couple months back...but now it's completely gone from the app store. I don't know what happened. Hopefully the creator could get back to us. It's really a shame the game didn't get more play. It was made by basically one guy as I recall, and it was a project of passion. Thems the app store breaks.

Here's one other trailer he did for it which is great. Gotta love that backyard green screen

whole town is against him

Also, there's this great down to earth interview with the guy behind it here.