Any of you guys readers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Nov 30, 2012.

1. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I recently read Lolita, a recommendation from a friend, and it was a very interesting read. Normally I'm a hard Sci-Fi/Dystopia kind of guy.

I had a childhood love affair with R.L. Stine's Fear Street series. My sister and I used to do the whole book club thing so we could get all the book.

@Pluto6 It took me a while to get used to Clockwork Orange language, it felt like I was reading a Hawaiian Pidgin novel. Not in a bad way though.

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm currently reading Trapped by Kevin Hearne it's the last book (fifth) so far in the Iron Druid Chronicles, it's quite similar to the dresden files books which I really enjoyed I'd say I probably mostly read Fantasy, Horror and Sci-Fi.

I've a couple more series lined up for when I finish that one

The first one is the Alex Verus series it's meant to be similar to the Dresden files again but that's about all I know.

The next is the Honor Harrington series which I keep reading is really good sci-fi but I've never read one.

also thinking of giving the legend of Drrizt a shot.

3. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Has anyone here read the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child? The reason I ask is because I just found out there will be a film (starring Cruise) based on these novels, and was wondering if I should read the books first :)

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    The books are great. Check out the posts at the start of this thread, as we spoke about both the books and the movie earlier.

5. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Ah my bad! Thanks, I'll definitely check out the books now!

6. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #46 Sheinfell, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Reading *ALOT* actually. Even with wife and little kid, I still make it through at least one thick book per week. Quite often I read two or three books in parallel, switching around as it suits my mood.
    Currently going through the "Complete Hammer's Slammers" - excellent military SF by David Drake, and the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton -also SF.
    My personal library grew over almost 30 years, and - while nowhere near really impressive - I have a few hundred books (plus another at least 100 I gave away over the years) , and a buylist of at least another 100 (which never seems to shrink, only expand) .
    I also read a good amount of Warhammer 40K (fan)fiction online, some of that stuff is excellent even if you are not (like here) into WH40K as a game.

@Teknikal: You mentioned Honor Harrington and Drizzt. My personal advise: Don't.
    HH is fun for a bit (I liked the way Weber thought out how space battles work) , but gets stale rather fast. And Drizzt is... well, Drizzt. Goody-two-shoes Drow? Ouch.

For really good military SF I recommend:
    - the above mentioned Hammer's Slammers
    - The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman
    - Armor, by John Steakley
    - Starship Troopers, by Heinlein (the book is quite a different ride than the movie)
    - Ender's Game & Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card
    - if you want to see something good from David Weber (at least in my opinion), go check out "The Apocalypse Troll" ; you can download it as free eBook from Baen Books' website.

Oh yes, Baen: I HIGHLY recommend their site. Just browse through the free stuff they put up; Baen publishes both Science Fiction and Fantasy, and their founder Jim Baen didn't like DRM restrictions much, so he placed alot of books online for free.

If you are interested in some really good Drow stuff, look for the "War of the Spider Queen" series (6 books) . That is real Drow, with all the backstabbing, intrigue and Drowishness you could want.

7. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Just saw your post and want to throw my hat in the ring, too.

I stopped reading anything new from King a *long* time ago, so I cannot comment on books newer than... oh, that long?... 20 years ago or so.

If you want some shorter books for starters, go find what he wrote as Richard Bachman, provided you like some seriously ...odd... stuff. My personal recommendations are "The Running Man" (NOTHING like the bad movie), "Rage", "The Long Walk".

For Stephen King himself:
    "The Stand" gets top spot here. I won't go into details, so suffice to say it is one of the best postapocalyptic stories I ever read.
    "Carrie" is also a classic, and one with a great movie adaptation to boot.
    Same goes for "Cujo", "Shining", and "Christine" .
    Also, I cannot forget "Needful Things" (best King movie in my opinion), and Salem's Lot (also a good movie).
    "The Dark Half" also was a good read, as was "Cycle of the Werewolf" (try to get the illustrated edition).
    "The Skeleton Crew" has some very good short stories.

His magnum opus - "The Dark Tower" - I found a bit too longwinded, so I stopped after book four or so.
    However, if you like graphic novels, try to get your hands on the "Gunslinger Born" series. The graphical style and the way they tell a story truly shine.

8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Anyone read Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz? Worth the read?

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    After seeing the Hobbit I'm going through the book again...it's been a long time (close to ten years) since I last read it and it'll be interesting to see how the movies follow the book and what they choose to cut out like they did for the theatrical releases of LOTR.

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Always been curious of Tolkiens books but I don't think I could read one I've read he spends a long time describing every detail and I couldn't even finish the second book of Game of thrones despite buying the whole set.

I guess I just like my books quite fast moving with some humour about the closest I've read has probably been the inheritance cycle although I did really enjoy the first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles and I'll definitely read the third when it's eventually released.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Try again. Start with the Hobbit, it's much easier to read than the LOTR books, and don't even bother with the Silmarillion unless you're a diehard Tolkien junkie (I couldn't read it, just far too verbose for any sort of entertainment IMO).

12. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Just found a jack reacher book at the used book shop for 50 cents my fifth one :) called the 61st hour I believe that's the title.

As for Stephen king anything after his accident is not good. Here's a plus though for SOA fans he was in the 2nd season as a cleaner because he wrote he was a fan of the show

13. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Got assigned a classic book for an essay I need to write, mainly looking for most interesting between: The Illiad, The Odyssey, Beowulf, Julius Caesar, and the Inferno.
    Would've read the Inferno, but realized its written poetically, and I have a deep aversion to poetry. Leaning towards the Illiad or the Odyssey. Any recommendations?

14. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yup, give them another try. Great books. I just read the Hobbit for like the 5th time a few months ago in anticipation for the movie. :D

15. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Anyone read/recommend Cloud Atlas? The movie trailer looks epic.

16. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Movie looks confusing to me. Guess it could be a good read but here's a tip never read battlefeild earth good god I almost died of bordness

17. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I read that years ago, kinda liked it. Would not touch Mission Earth though.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hmmm. Checked out The Firm and A Time to Kill by John Grisham...also picked up some of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels, pity he only wrote four of them. Check these things out from the library on CD and listen to them while washing dishes, working out, walking dog, etc...really makes time fly and allows you to do something productive while listening to a good book.

If I like the Firm I think I'll pick up the movie sometime as well, heard it was good.

19. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    I have the complete Sherlock Holmes collection in two volumes. Including all short stories. Just wanted to brag about that. :D

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    And I'm jealous. I've been having to check them out at the library one by one...not fun to have to keep track of what you have and haven't read.

They are such a treat to listen to, too. I wish there were more of them :(