Any of you guys readers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
  2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I actually read them both and quite liked them both in honesty as long as you just take them as sci-fi and ignore who wrote them.

3. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Inferno is an epic poem but there are some decent prose translations out there if you would prefer that. I think Sinclair's is available for the Kindle app. Going purely on length, I got through Inferno much faster than The Odyssey and the Illiad. Never read all of Beowulf I am sorry to say. Just the snippets I had to read for my Early Midieval Britain course. Julius Caesar, well if you like Shakespeare, there is always that one.

Personally, of that list, I would still go with Inferno. Gives you more to focus on writing a good essay than on reading. It is fairly interesting, but also pick a translation with good annotations as I am sure you will need to talk about the people Dante writes as being in hell. That maybe the one drawback of Inferno as he makes a lot of references that a 14th century audience would've picked up on, but not so much now...

4. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    #64 Jacob007, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    I've always loved Enders Game and Enders Shadow. The Jason Bourne series was also one of my favorites. Currently, I'm reading the Divergent books.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Dante is an interesting read to be sure. His Inferno is far more entertaining than Paradiso and Purgatory, when you get to those books it's obvious he was on shrooms or something.

Finished The Firm and almost done with A Time to Kill, both by John Grisham. Anyone looking for some very entertaining legal thrillers would do well to read his stuff.

6. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I've been reading a lot of books lately about the Mayans.

7. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I read a book once.

8. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    read the hobbit in one sitting yesterday I was expecting to really struggle with it but it was quite an easy read. Probably wouldn't have if I hadn't of seen the film recently and wanted to know what happens.

Was surprised the film only lasted up until about page 90 or so and added a lot in simply to fill more space, bit of a con making that into 3 films.

9. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    I like the narnia series a lot. I know it is outdated, but just got around into reading it...

10. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Read them all when I was a kid I think it was school related with Cs Lewis being from Belfast but I did enjoy them.

I'm actually loving the series I just started reading, the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb.

It reminds me a lot of Games of thrones but with it being from a single characters perspective it's so much easier to follow. I've a feeling that when I finish it I'll start looking at her other books.

11. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Same here. I used to love reading, then i got to high school :p

Now, I only read comics or news articles really. And school textbooks on occasion. I wish I could get back into reading.

12. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I read internet articles and forum posts.

13. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I read e-books on my kindle and the news on the PC

14. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Aha. Is this the right thread JBRUU?

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yeah thanks. Couldn't find it with the app, I think the search function isn't working too well.

16. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    [​IMG]

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    -_____-

18. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    I just clicked your name and found all the threads started by you. I'm pretty sure the only reason I read books was for LA since we had to write book reports. Since I forgot what I had read, I had to google the books. This is because I read 10-20 books in the period of a month and had been doing a ton of book reports for a few and I guess I ended up forgetting about them all :p

19. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Matthew Reilly

That is all.

20. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Television.

That is all.