Anyone sick of medieval themed RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheProxy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Exactly. End of story. Because everyone in the world should think the same way. And actually, I'm someone who loves these kinds of threads; it's just cool to share opinions and get different points of view on things.

Anyway, I don't really care what the theme is as long as the overall package is great and the story pulls me in. However, it is a breath of fresh air every once in awhile to see something that expands beyond the traditional medieval/high fantasy theme.

2. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i find rpgs and medial times just fit!

but yeah, an action rpg set in space would be pretty cool!

3. ENERTRON

ENERTRON Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    ya there is totally a niche needing filled for space rpgs, a la mass effect

zenonia's story is pretty boring - especially since i accidentally clicked ONE dialog option at some point (i was trying to hit ok) and got stuck on the evil path. im not evIL!

4. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Because obviously you don't care, and I'm sure that your intentions involved you looking clever, it only made you look like a disagreeable brat, just a heads up, I do care.

Anyway,

The reason I said what I said is because recently, a lot of threads have been popping up with titles such as 'Who's's sick of this' and 'Who's sick of zombies' etc.

I probably didn't make it clear enough, but I was commenting on the fact that I'm frustrated about the number of threads about what people are sick of, just as much as I am sick of the 'Let's hate Gameloft threads.

5. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    #25 zamansimba, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    u know whats gonna rock the app store? Fallout 1/2 on the iphone

srsly, we need better story, more engaging and mature story, gory graphics

my ultimate fantasy : dungeon hunter type graphics/controls/view, with a fallout type post-apocalyptic storyline, and off course u get to have a party like Inotia 2

for god's sake enough of this cutesy knight, mage, priest stuff

6. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    #26 Acidbottle, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    definately not sick of them but, after playing so many, im finding they dont hold my interest as much as they once did. id like to see a good offical dungeons and dragons rpg on the idevice, along the lines of eye of the beholder but a bit more up to date.

as for non fantasy based rpgs, apocolyptic scenarios i welcome. was really disappointed when stargate worlds had the funding plug pulled. that was set to be a really refreshing and epic mmo :(

7. Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    What other era would they be set in.

8. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Yes!

I would love to see more RPGs like Fallout.

Maybe Fallout 1 and 2 could be ported to the iPhone?

9. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Fallout is a great idea, if done correctly. I just hope that the controls are fine tuned. I wouldn't mind a good sci-fi either, as long as it isn't full of generics. And to Hmar, I'll admit, it was kind of clever to copy a part of my post, though I don't see how I would look like the brat when I was only defending my thread, and you were the one disagreeing with it's existence. My point still stands though. Not all of us are sick of these types of threads.

10. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Medieval themed games are the best! How dare thee :mad:

11. TheProxy

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Never said they weren't...:confused:

12. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    You said that you were sick of them

13. TheProxy

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    For the moment, yes. Something different once in a while never hurts. Lvl 54 Regret can wait! I seriously wish that ArmorGames would combine Sonny 1 and 2 and bring it to the iPhone.

14. Theocracy

Theocracy Active Member

Dec 13, 2009
  15. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I just don't really like RPGs. The only one I do like (on the iPhone) is Ravensword.

16. Themagictouch

Themagictouch Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    most of the best rpgs are medieval themed, like monster hunter, and fable 2

17. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    What I am sick of are RPGs with stupid characters like in FFXI. I hate that game and most Asian RPGs because the characters always are whiney and way too cute and childish. Not to mention that if I wanted to play an epic adventure I'd rather be a cool character like the guy who ends up as the king or an adult instead of a stupid twelve year old boy who looks like a girl with a sword. I also hate not being able to see the gear I get for my characters actually appear on them.

18. Frej444

Frej444 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Highschool
    Copenhagen, Denmark.
    You want Al Gore as a playable character? Hopefully so everybody can get a little laughter, and be reminded how not grow up. If that's what you meen then i totally agree!
    (if not then i can tell you that "An Inconvenient Truth" is illegal to show students in english schools, because it's stated as propaganda. Just a little reminder!)

19. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Hmm... some good ones I can think of are:

Paper Mario 1 and 2 (SPM isn't really an RPG): N64/Gamecube
    Super Mario RPG: SNES
    Earthbound: SNES
    Wolfenstein/Doom RPG: iPhone/Mobile
    TNA: iPhone
    Fallout 1/2: PC/Mac
    Chrono Trigger: SNES
    Final Fantasy X: PS2 (Just doesn't feel medieval to me)

That's all I got for now.