Universal Apocalypse Max: Better Dead Than Undead [Wandake]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I don't think it's a bug I think it's a well thought out gameplay strategy. At first it seemed like it might be a bug but when you play through it a few times you begin to think differently. IMO this game has everything well thought out and put in place with a purpose.

2. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Financial systems analyst
    MN
    Yea I noticed that, that's why it's imperative u get very good with the knife.

I love the swipe mechanic too. Just feels natural to knife that way.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What is the "purpose" of making you restart to earn more loot? Why not just allow people to grind levels as they please? It's not as if there is an actual new game+ here with additional difficulty or new content. They just make you erase your progress for, as far as I can tell, absolutely no purpose whatsoever (other than causing inconvenience in order to push IAP, but we won't get into that again ;) ).

4. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    You can grind to get more money, but not mindlessly. You have to beat your previous level score. BOOYA.

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    They were trying to avoid mindless grinding for money, hence cap. You play through once, play through again with a harder difficulty and enjoy the progression rather than farming a particular level.

Royce, I've never played a New Game + yet that's given me new objectives and content, they've always been about retaining your upgrades, equipment, or level/character. That doesn't mean some games don't, just I've yet to expect your own experience.

Btw, have you tried resetting yet?

6. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    In my experience the knife has very little use on the hardest difficulty setting. I get swarmed constantly and the only way out is a grenade. Thankfully there are plenty of grenade drops through the game. I also find health to be a premium. I used to ace levels with hardly any damage. Now I'm constantly having to restart from the checkpoints. Thank god they put lots of checkpoints throughout the levels.

7. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Please add retina support for iPad 3 this game would be amazing with it!

8. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Trust me when I say it adds replay value to the game. It would be far too easy to beat the game if you farm for coins. The upgraded guns are not needed until you replay at a higher difficulty. Also don't bother playing it at the hardest difficulty setting until you beat the previous difficulty setting. If you play it through ramping up the difficulty one notch at a time you'll make it through the game with exactly what you need. I'm on the final stage on the hardest setting and just finished upgrading all my weapons. It's still not easy but it's not so hard you feel like smashing your idevice either. Playing the game any other way is cheating yourself out of the experience. On the last level I played I collected 11,000 coins! Anyhow just enjoy the game as it was intended to be played. After I beat it for the third time I plan on playing it again for high scores. Or I might just delete the game and game save so I can start from scratch. I've yet to play another iOS game three times through, but this game is just so damn fun.

9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Sure it would be nice but games like this aren't about the graphics. It's about gameplay and replay value. And those are two areas this game has in spades.

10. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Just beat it for the third time. The last guy is almost too easy with the grenade launcher maxed out. Now i've got to decide wether i should delete and start over or just keep replaying levels to raise my high score. I'm in the top 10 right now on the leader boards but I think there might be room to move higher ;)

11. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=153660][​IMG][/thread] [thread=153444][​IMG][/thread] [thread=153567][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=153476][​IMG][/thread] [thread=153446][​IMG][/thread] [thread=153478][​IMG][/thread] [thread=153452][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]APOCALYPSE MAX:
    BETTER DEAD THAN UNDEAD
    [/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    12/09/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to be the lone survivor of a zombie apocalypse?

[size=+3][thread=153690]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    09-20-2012 at 03:34 AM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -

12. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    If you read this thread, pretty much everyone says that doesn't actually work, and I hasn't for me. BOOYA?
    In addition, that would be a pretty dumb mechanic anyway. That would mean the best way to play would be to run through killing as little as possible and then try to do, still bad, but a little better each time you play to maximize income. I don't want to be forced to hold back because of freemium mechanics in a paid game.

I guess I just don't understand the difference. You can change difficulty and replay stages at any time. Why force players to replay in order if they want more upgrades. As I've said, I just feel like I'm jumping though hoops pointlessly for the developer in order to avoid IAP in a pair game. If you're gonna allow replays and grinding, why reset progress? No one has given me any logical reason yet.

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I'm sorry you've missed the point and genius of this game and it's replayability factor. I am very happy with how they've made the game and it has entertained me beyond my wildest expectations. I guess the game just isn't your cup of tea. That's fine, IMO just move on. But for me this is easily game of the week and year.

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    So, no explanation, no answer. I guess that means I have a point ;)

15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I have explained it in previous posts. I'm not going to feed a troll. If you don't like it then don't play it. Otherwise read a few pages back and then get back to me.

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    In my opinion this game is really good. Definitely game of the week. Month probably.
    Personally I don't mind resetting the level progress and going through again on a harder difficulty to get more cash and upgrades.
    I agree being able to grind early levels in order to get upgrades would detract from the game. I'm going to agree with Royce in saying the progress ( minus cash and equipment ) reset is not the best way of dealing with that issue.
    Maybe not allowing you to make more money out of replaying levels until the game is beat would be a better option.
    I wouldn't go as far as to call what the developets have done a "freemium" mechanic. I do think it could be dealt with better though.

17. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I think you've been given answers with explanation a few times now, unless you've tried a reset or approached the developer, I don't think there's much more that can be said.

Flick them an email, they're very good.

18. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Actually, no, he hasn't been. "I like it how it is" is not an explanation.

19. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Actually he has been given an explanation numerous times, and your interpretation (as was your previous one) is incorrect.

If you want to to be informed, perhaps buy the game rather than troll threads to further your misguided IAP assumptions. Otherwise, just keep on dishing it half cooked.

20. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Is there an ETA on the immediate planned update?