App 'in review' for 4 days. Normal?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mastersoft, Dec 14, 2009.

1. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Most of my updates have only taken a few days. It was just the initial release that took forever. I don't know what the deal was other than they must have played each of the 24 missions and it took them a while to beat it.

2. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Looks like Apple wants to give some early christmas presents, our applications get approved in lightning speed: our Bomber Online update 1.2 got approved in 3 days :D

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    I came here to post that too. My update got approved in 3 days. It was a crashing bug fix, but no functional fixes. I just wanted to get it out there, but expected a week, maybe more.

4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    It just occurred to me that maybe after updates not showing up on new releases anymore, devs are no longer flooding the review queue with useless updates. Maybe they finally got through the backlog and we'll be able to see 3 day approvals.

I hope this is the case and not only extra manpower during the holiday season.

5. jamesj3k

jamesj3k Well-Known Member

"In review" is totally meaningless.

Our latest game, Depict, is a multiplayer game and we can see on the server when people are coming and going. Therefore, we knew exactly when Apple's reviewers logged in. The first time they reviewed the game it changed to "In Review" after exactly a a week (at 8am in the morning). However, no one logged into the game for another 3 days and it wasn't rejected until the fourth day. The second time they reviewed it, it took exactly a week again and it changed status at 8am again and this time no one even opened the app. On the fourth day (again) it changed status to approved.

It seems like they just change it to "in review" so that you'll think something is going on.

6. godsized

godsized Member

May 16, 2009
    Producer
    Eagan MN
    We have had games go as long as 16 days and as short as 6.

7. The latest update to Charmed took 7 days exactly to go to the "In Review" state. It stayed "In Review" for 6 more days. It was a simple bug fix that I desperately wanted to have out ASAP. It seems that they are a bit quicker these days though.

During that time, there was not a single score from anyone at Apple on the leaderboards, which means they either did not play it or they did not bother to check the OpenFeint functionality at all.

I just really wonder what they actually DO to "review" a game. Really...I am REALLY curious! Maybe a TA member can apply to become a tester and report back to us. :)

8. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    It really depends from app to app and current weather conditions. Sometimes the reviewers play 1 minute, sometimes 30 minutes and with multiple people from different parts of the world. I would say what they are mainly doing is checking if the app is starting and works for at least 1 minute of game play. Additionally they check if the descriptions, keywords, icon and screenshots are ok. This is possibly done by different people so a change in the application status possibly means that it is assigned to different people.

9. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Well, let's just hope that it gets approved before the 23rd!

10. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    If you think that 4 days is abnormal, go talk to IUGO about A.D.D., lol

11. Jack Shiels

Jack Shiels Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Sick of Santa took 5 days :p I guess they like us.