App Store Bundles

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Andy C83, Sep 18, 2014.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Links worked fine for me.

Got GA8 & GA9 for $0.99 total!

Thank you Bundle Gods! :D

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Nice! The "Inkle Adventures" bundle is working now; I can pick up Sorcery! 2 and Down Among The Dead Men for £2.01. And I can also complete the Cavorite trilogy for £0.81p. :D

3. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Complete my bundle isn't working for me for inkle bundle?

4. spoosh

spoosh Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Just got the inkle bundle! I only have 80 Days so I was able to pick up Sorcery! 1 & 2, and Down Among the Dead Men for $7.00.

These seem like a really great idea, and hopefully they go beyond just having bundles with games/apps from 1 dev. It would be cool to have apps with similar gameplays or styles in one bundle, even from different devs.

5. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA

I noticed that also. Be careful before you punch that blue button. If you only have one app left it might be cheaper to buy it outright than to complete your bundle. Im guessing this comes up because one of the bundle apps may have been purchased on sale and the iTunes store is basing the complete price on what you actually paid for the apps.

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Yes that's what's happening, there was one bundle where I had three out four games in it but I would have to play full price to complete as I'd gotten those three games free at some point.

The cut the rope bundle has 69p knocked off to complete as that is what I paid for cut the rope 2, I think a lot of people are looking at the price listed in the bundle and think that should be the discount they get and then say the store is glitched.

I think it's pretty fair system so far. It's till early yet though I guess.

7. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    At least early adopters that paid full price get best value from packs.

8. AENIGMA

AENIGMA Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    NY
    Okay, Apple's/SQUARE ENIX's Math is WAY off. For the "FINAL FANTASY 6+1-in-One" Bundle, I already own all of the games except for FFVI. By itself FFVI is $15.99, but to "Complete My Bundle" it costs $18.53???

Also with the "FINAL FANTASY IV Complete Pac" Bundle, I own both game, but to "Complete My Bundle" it costs $0.99???

9. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I bought the 10Tons action bundle for less than three bucks..I already owned Rope Raider and King Oddball, so that made this one a damn great deal.

I want to buy the Adventure Time bundle, but I already own Time Tangle and Ski Safari and there's no complete my bundle offer :(

10. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

It seems like "complete my collection" option isn't working right for some bundles , will be fixed probably in few days for all new packs.Remember that this bundle system is something completely new for App Store and it doesn't work properly yet.

11. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    It's Apple's maths, not Square Enix's. The "Complete My Bundle" cost is the cost of the bundle minus the amount you paid for the apps you have already. So if you have bought some on sale or got some free then strange things can happen like you experienced.

There needs to be some caps added on the price, so "Complete My Bundle" doesn't ever cost more than it would to buy the remaining apps individually.

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah, I looked through all the bundles of those I'd actually be interested in. For the bundles where I owned all the games sometimes it would say $0.99 or something to complete the bundle when I already own all the games. For nearly all the rest the prices to complete the bundle were so much higher than the apps I didn't own cost by themselves that it wouldn't make any sense to use the option. I think the only deal where I could have saved a buck was for the KOF games... but I can't play em till I upgrade so not really worth buying.

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #53 undeadcow, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    That is one thing I don't like about retaining previous purchase amount and applying it to the bundle because it could be interpreted as "double dipping." In some cases where all but one item is owned but the "bundle" is more expansive than that single item it implies you are purchasing a game license you already own because you would be paying more that original asking only to add access to one game.

Also, it's mildly creepy that Apple tracks your initial purchase price for every item over years.
    Rewarding higher price purchases is cool.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The strange things happening are in fact easy to justify mathematically (and thus demonstrates the formula applied by the App Store is wrong). Imagine this situation:

- A 2-game bundle which costs $10 and each game was originally priced at $10/each ($20 total).
    - You own one of the games, but you paid $1 for it.
    - The bundle is set so that the average price per game is $5 instead of $10.
    - If the formula was set right, you'd have to pay $5 for the missing game, forgetting what you paid for the game you own.
    - If the formula is set in such a way that you have to compensate your original price paid for the game you own ($1) vs the average price in the bundle ($5), you'd end up having to pay $9: $5 for the game you don't own and $4 to compensate the game which you own, but which you obtained cheaper than the average bundle price for each game.
    - If the formula is completely wrong and takes into account the original $10/game rather than the average bundle price of $5, it would be asking you to pay $19 for the bundle instead of $10.

My explanation is kind of a mess, but I think the theory behind it is correct.

15. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    It's wonderful to see people who pay for games being finally rewarded instead of people who wait for a 99c sale forever.

16. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah I agree. Though for those of us that already own all the games in most of these bundles (at any price) there's not much to take advantage of. Not that I need any more games.

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #57 undeadcow, Sep 20, 2014
    Curiously if you purchase a bundle and it includes a game featured in another bundle; you get $0 credit towards the unfulfilled bundle (i.e. Crescent Moon's Demonrock is in both a RPG and a Strategy bundle but my $5.05 RPG bundle purchase granting me Demonrock for the first time did nothing to alter the Strategy "complete my bundle" quote; even though some of my bundle purchase should apply to Demonrock item).

It was nice to get a free game from one of the bundles and Final Fantasy IV: After Years for $5.

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I just picked up the Crescent Moon Puzzle Bundle. I was missing 3 of the games in the bundle and it only cost me just over $2. Two of the new games for me were on my wish list Including Twisty Planet, which I am absolutely loving.

This bundle thing is very appealing. The only downside, is that you have to download all of the games in the bundles including some that you may not want, but you can of course just delete the unwanted ones.

19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    If you have a PC or Mac you can purchase the bundles through iTunes and then you can just cancel the download then switch to your device and download whichever game you want. At least I think that would work just fine.

20. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #60 mrbiggles, Sep 20, 2014
    iTunes pc/mac

yeah someone said paying the buck can help on memory usage etc(not sure about that). i'm skipping the $1 bundles unless there is truly some advantage to getting it.

seems if you update your iTunes to newest version on your PC/MAc you can complete your bundles too. after you see the "complete my bundle" you just click on each game icon and it updates the bundle to a new lower price if already own some + the price depends if you paid full, a discount price or got it free. ;)