Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Nanostuio was submitted two days ago (which means two days ahead of the schedule, which is good :D). We all hope for approval on July 20th, but let's face it, nanostudio is HUGE and Apple might need weeks to test this...

2. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Nanostudio For the first week of sale it will be priced at £8.99 ($14.99). The earliest it will go on sale is Tuesday 20th July.

Suspect i'll pick ths when its released - it looks stunning

oh and the last update to DopplerPad
    Added support for AudioCopy/Paste 1.1. This gives support for paste into BeatMaker, named audio copy and copy history.

so that sounds as though its a tough one to ignore now :)

Here more info for what works with Beatmaker https://code.google.com/p/intua-audio-sharing/wiki/CompatibleApps

Also the music learning prog Nota has support for Retina Display now

Anyone tried MorphWiz - http://www.morphwiz.com/
    looks stunning, check out the media page - and its a universal app

and heres some news about ......Beatmaker 2
    http://intua.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1453

MegaSynth has just been updated and looks cool

instant beat classic is available and free

MendelSynth looks unusual

Symphony now works with ios4

Randgrid on sale for $2.99

3. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #423 soup, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    iComposer info
    Since iComposer 2 is coming soon and it is totally different from the former versions, if you are interested in iComposer, please don't buy it for now, hopefully one month later you can download iComposer 2. According to requirements from kind customers, iComposer 2 will be a dedicated and productive music notation tool and a score reader for iPhone/iTouch instead of a sing/play toy. We have thoroughly redesigned the App and most development work is done. But before version 2 is released, we need to focus on completing new version, thus we can not respond to any new demand or question, also the forum will be closed for 1 month.

and also released is Akai SynthStation
    review here http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/06/24/akai-synthstation-first-review/
    some complaints about it now but it is a 1.0

4. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    People keep asking me about my opinions on music apps, but they should really ask you instead xD

5. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    btw taking a look at morphwiz, first glance impression was "Looks bad" but now it sounds pretty nice... haven't found price yet, gonna look for it xD

6. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009

lol naaaa just had a bit of time today and somehow ended up checking out the iphone music scene
    so i thought i'd update our thread :)

7. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    seen a game in the feature list in the appstore today.. called "6string"

its getting closer to what i want. a guitar hero/rhythm game for the guitar.
    now that amplitude has put out the irig. mine came in the mail yesterday.. id wait to buy it in the music store i pre ordered mine and had to pay 13.00 for shipping OUCH.. anyhow.

the irig is way better than PRS guitar adapter for the iphone/pod/pad.

this 6string game is basically like the virtual guitars you can buy. and lights up the notes on the given string for the song.

i wonder how hard it would be for them to add the option to use real guitar.

i sure hope someone comes out with a rhythm game now the irig is available.. and peavys link will be out soon too.. once peavey adapter its out, ill compare it to irig and see which one is the better adapter..( im bad at being a gear head) i can say the PRS adapter sucks.. granted its the cheapest.. but you get what you pay for i guess.

i think it would be cool, you could even use the same game as a teaching tool.. and sell DLC lessons.. along with game play..

chris.

8. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
  9. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
  10. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Bought Morphwiz, this will keep me busy until nanostudio is released...

11. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    First impressions on Morphwiz:
    I've seen some of the tutorial video by Jordan, he really talks about many features.

You can really customize much, but my first impression is that the dev focused a bit too much on making the app look good instead of making the design actually useful (note: I'm talking about iPhone version. It may be different in the iPad version). You can pick from a set amount of scales (I like dopplerPad much more here. You can manually add or substract keys from the keyboard and are not forced to pick from "few" [maybe not few but still not as many] choices). You can vary the sound somehow, but I haven't looked into it that much, because on this side the UI feels like a big list of sliders that has been split up into groups. Other apps definitely do it better or at least make it feel better.

That's just my first impression, though.

12. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates Soup .... I guess you know that you can always get a lot of the latest info from Palm Sounds too.

13. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    thank you so much for the webpage:

http://the-palm-sound.blogspot.com/

if and when the app i have dream up of in my head becomes reality im sure that blog will post it.. lots of apps iv not even heard of just reading for a short time.. its exciting times we live in. rock on.

chris.

14. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    yep i acutally posted that too on page 41 :)
    we may have to restart this thread soon i suspect - its getting a bit long for clarity.......opinions ?

15. marlenedegrood

Yes, I agree this thread has a lot of very outdated info in it and may be humane to put it to rest and start a new one. It's especially nice to be able to come to a music app thread and get user opinions and maybe even tutorials. It will be a great person who sacrifices the time to get one started .... that's a hint soup :)

16. adin

adin Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    New Mexico
    I guess it would be too much to hope for our own little section? Then we could have multiple coherent conversations! ::grin::

It'd be a slow section, but full of good solid threads.

17. marlenedegrood

Well .... The Apple Store has a section titled "Music Creation Apps" so if it's good enough for Apple then I should think it would be good enough for Touch Arcade :)

18. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    yeah its a good point because i think one thread does get messy....i would at a minimum prefer at least 2 - so one for instruments / synths etc and another for music creation apps so beatmaker etc (yes i know there are crossovers but you get the point) - and yes i may start a new thread soon :)

19. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #439 Mew2468, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    I've been eyeing BeatMaker for a while . . . is it similar to Hydrogen? Can you input sounds by beat count? (If not are these any good, polished apps that can?)

Also, are there any good piano transcribing apps out yet?

[​IMG]

20. ReadMyLips

ReadMyLips Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Dominos
    Minnesota
    You just skip trying to fruitlessly pursue musical creativity on your ipod or ipad (nanoloop is pretty awesome though) and just get logic, ableton live or pro tools. Preferably Logic though because it's awesome:D