Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #481 medianotzu, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
    What do you guys think of Nanostudio compared to Beatmaker? I've got Beatmaker and I like it well enough, although I can't help but wish I had something a little more intuitive, and with more available samples, as well as a piano roll. Does Nanostudio fit this bill? I also like to work from Thumbjam to Beatmaker as well, so I'm hoping that will work with Nanostudio as well.

Edit: Well I just went ahead and got Nanostudio. It does seem to fit the bill with an intuitive UI and sharing utility, and holy shit, I haven't done much with it yet but it seems like you can do a ridiculous amount with it. Freakin' awesome.

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Looks like Nanostudio is the equivalent to Reason on the iOS, and that isn't a bad thing.

Whatever you do don't buy Rebirth, it's horrible. I was sucked in by nostalgia since I used to use Rebirth all the time back on OS 8, but omg the port they did is a disgrace.

3. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    What score composition app does everybody recommend? I've been looking at Symphony; is there any other app that's more polished / has more features?

4. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    The makers of Argon Synth are working on a new app called Xenon. The interface looks pretty similar to Argon's, but the way you create music is totally different, as you use a sequencer in Xenon, and in Argon you record everything you do into one loop...

5. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Can anyone recommend a good beat maker, with REAL drums. The funk box is cute, but they sound fake. I need something I can use at actual gigs with backing tracks.

6. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Get NanStudio :p it has got amazing drum sounds, and you can create your own backing tracks :-D

7. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Xenon is out, so I bought it :p gonna have a look at it now. On another note, Xenon is the app that made the amount of money I spent in apps higher than the amount of money I spent in the actual iPhone + contract... Amazing, but also a bit scary...

8. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    oooops :)

i hope at least that its good !
    awaiting your opinion

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    NOT my opinion but found this and thought it informative enough to repost here

Xenon !
    Managed to download this in a coffee shop before heading home on a three and a half hour train journey. Have played around most of the way and jotted down some rough thoughts below.

Xenon feels to me like the App that Akai's Synthstation should have been, and one I might have been really impresed with if I hadn't already seen Nanostudio. In fact it is testament to just how good Nano is that an App like this appears slightly lacklustre!

The App sounds all right to me and has a flexible range of synth options and a combination of mono and poly synths assigned to specific tracks. It's largely on the little things that it falls down.

Audio copy is supported at pattern song and loop level, and recognises track mute so it's easy to export all tracks separately, but audio paste into the drum pads is not supported and there is no resampling (an opportunity missed!)

The sequencer is pattern based and allows real time recording but each pattern is limited to 1 bar long which is a pain. There is also no automation beyond velocity.

Ergonomics are not bad with double tapping to reset synth controls but navigation to specific synth parts in specific paterns can feel a bit long winded. Also the patterns are just numbers on the song editor so no piano roll to recognise them by until you enter patern edit.

There is a decent drum library but no audio paste or content created in other Apps and I don't even think file transfer of samples is supported.

The delay unit is good but it's the only effect in the rack! The simple mixer can control send for each synth but it's all drum sounds or none!

I can see me using this to produce synced multi-track parts for multitrack DAW etc or to create synth sounds in areas where Xenon is strong and paste the audio into another App. The lack of audio paste however stops it being used to work up some additional tracks on top of a sub mix of content produced elsewhere and the short pattern length and lack of automation would put me off doing anything too complicated.

It's beaten Nanostudio to Audio copy and has a nice range of sound creation options but at the moment it looks to me more like a supporting App rather than a primary workspace. It wouldn't take much however to put it right up there and the price seems good for the facilities.

I'm begining to think we're being spoiled by the rate that new Apps are appearing a by the functionality that they now offer. (I need to keep remembering that this is actually a phone....)

Just some thoughts from a few hour on a train so feel free to point out any errors.

10. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    I agree with that review... It's nice, but has a few rough edges. If there was no NanoStudio, Xenon would be a must-have, but now it doesn't really feel special.

Still, if NanoStudip is too expensive for you, get Xenon. It's price is pretty low compared to other music apps of it's complexity.

Yet another thing: I just bought Bleep!Box. Sounded interesting to me. Let's see if it's worth the money.

11. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    check out Music Studio by Alexander Gross
    there is also a LITE version.

12. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #492 DJCaseyD, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    I would like to find a drum machine app so that I can put my ipod into my speaker system and have drum beats to play along with my guitar to. Anyone have thoughts on the best drum machine app? I don't need any music production or creation stuff, just a drum machine. I don't want something where I have to press buttons to play drums. I just want something to play a beat. For example, I put in 120bpm and it plays a beat. Something more than a metronome though. I already have that with Guitar Toolkit. Thanks

Also, I asked this another thread, but anyone ever used Amplitube with the iRig adapter?

13. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    HI,

I use these one:
    Drum Track8 for synth style drum. Easy Drum machine.

If you are looking for something more natural and less grooveboxy
    I´d recommend iGOG by Mave Machine Labs
    or
    Instand Drummer: Heartbreaker by Somnia WireWorks

14. jarop

jarop Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    #494 jarop, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    So i've just finished clearing all 50 apps of music apps worth buying. The list is massive :) So i was wondering if those experienced with some of them could leave some feedback on ones worth missing / that double up? I'm pretty big on the music scene but i really would like to avoid spending money on apps that just don't cut it, whether it be to functionality/exporting/latency issues or if they're just not good.

prices were mainly for my benefit, but they're in AUD

intua beatmaker - 1.2
    idrum hedkandi - 1.2
    idrum: RAZ of wu-tang - 1.2
    modizer - 1.2
    ocarina - 1.2
    nesynth - 2.5
    drum meister - 2.5
    ikoto - 2.5
    digidrummer - $2.5
    Bebot (Synthesizer)- $2.5
    idrum beatbox - 2.5
    8bitone - 4
    leaf trombone - 4
    randgrid - 4
    iDrum rock - 4
    pianist - 5
    guitarist - 5
    bassist - 5
    organist - 5
    cleartune - 5
    ishred - 6
    basslne - 6
    idrum MoS - 8
    thumbjam - 9
    rebirth - 9
    nlog - 12
    beatmaker (multitracking recorder) - $13
    GuitarToolkit (chord, tuner, metronome reference) - $13
    minisynth pro - 13
    dopplerpad - 13
    looptastic producer - 13
    nanostudio (reason) - $18
    Amazing Slow Downer - $18
    noise.io - $18
    karajan - 18
    xewton music studio - 18 (18)
    touch dj 2 - 24
    irig - 70

and i've still been unable to locate any good sibelius-esqe apps, do they exist and function resonably well?

thank you in advance :) Maybe this list will stop others from having to go through what i did rofl

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    jarop - here's my mini takes on these:

ocarina - A lot of fun, but there is a volume bug making this one very quiet on my iPhone 4

Bebot (Synthesizer) - Total blast, my daughter loves playing around with this one

ishred - Fantastic guitar app (as is their acoustic Guitar - wish that was DLC for iShred instead of a separate app) Currently a buck, well worth it for anyone who wants to play with a guitar on their iDevice!

thumbjam - Another fantastic app - the sampler version of Bebot, very customizable and will sync with other devices running ThumbJam

nanostudio (reason) - Wife and I love it to pieces. A DAW in your pocket.

xewton music studio - Decent studio app, sample based, I didn't like the "feel" of it as much as other apps (especially NanoStudio)

You didn't mention Jasuto, but it's a one-of-a-kind modular synth on the device. Fun to play with, especially if you want to make unique sounds. :)

16. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I tried instafunk drummer and I'm disappointed. For $3 I expect more than 'two chorus', one bridge, one verse, selection. the intro and outros are crap. this is a real lazy job they did. You can vary the intensity and tempo but you are still getting a drummer that can't play more than one pattern, so this is ONE song app. Funk has hundreds of patterns.

Anyone know of anything better, that includes more loops, patterns? I had fun with free version of groovemaker, especially the random options that let you change up the entire 8 track selection of loops.

Something like groovemaker, but more of FUNK direction would be perfect for me.

17. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    @jarop - From your list, my top picks would be:

intua beatmaker
    nanostudio
    noise.io
    xewton music studio
    touch dj 2

I would difinitely add Sonorasaurus Rex to your wishlist.
    Reactable Mobile is kinda kewl too.

Good luck!

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Has anyone here used iVoxel?

19. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I wish I could explain it better. Basically, I just want something like you can get in a hardware-based drum machine. You put in how many bpm you want and maybe the type of beat, and it just plays it for you. My guitar teacher has one that he turns on when he is helping me with strumming patterns or to get the feel for a song I'm trying to learn. Does one of these do that or would something like nanostudio? I don't want to spend $19.99 if I don't have to, but if it does a better job, I would.