Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. fumbles

fumbles Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Slightly OT, here but seeing as the musos hang out here, can anyone recommend a USB interface for the iPad that would give me MIDI support and S/PDIF out? It would be nice to be able to play some of my synths etc with an external keyboard and have the pure digital sound going back into my DAW over optical.

Something cheap and capable of being powered by the iPad would be ideal.

2. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I'm not sure what output options the Alesis IO Dock offers, but give it a look. A lot of people seem happy with it so...

3. fumbles

Jan 10, 2012
    Apart from lacking an optical output, the problem with the iO Dock (for me) is that it's been rendered obsolete by the move to the Lightning port. The design doesn't allow for using an adapter either.

Audio-wise the Behringer UCA2x2s look like they would do fine, but there's no MIDI. I'm assuming that connecting a powered USB hub to the iPad and connecting seperate audio and midi interfaces won't work? I don't have the gear here to test, but i'm sure if it worked I would have heard this mentioned somewhere down the line.

4. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    heya, i'm interested in buying a voice to midi app, an app that can record sounds and translate into midi. i can already do this with thumbjam, but it is very inaccurate in my opinion.

i narrowed my options down to Magic Stave Midi Recorder, and Audio Midi Connect. I tried the light Magic Stave version but i'd like to know how the full app is.

Anyone tried one of these, and can recommend? Or an other app?

5. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I've tried audio midi connect, to try to use it with my voice. I wanted to sing, i'm a singer with a bass voice, and use it with animoog, for example. I've succeed to connect everything, but the result was a bit... innaccurate. I don't know if it's made for low voices, but it wasn't what i expected.

I don't say it's not a good app, perhaps it can be better with more time. I don't know what you want to do exactly, it depends if you want to have fun or if you want to use it in a song.. And it depends of your song :)

I think it's not made for translate melodies you have in mind, or i don't spend enough time to be able to do that. I'll try more this night if i have a little time. Whistling a song and transcribing it in beatmaker 2... Would be great!

6. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    thanks for your elaborate response. what i want is to be able to transcribe melodies and i do realize that these type of apps can never be 100 percent accurate (actually, they are, but its the singer that is never 100 percent accurate) but if i whistle the notes one after another with some spacing in between, I'll probably be able to get pretty close to what i need. i will post-process the patterns anyway, i just want to have the general structure and order in place.

7. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I've tried yesterday, and still not be able to have good enough result. I don't know why, but when i sing or whistle, it always hesitate between an upper or lower note, and between an octave! For example, if i sing a G4, it shows me a f# or a G# or a G, and always Octave 4 or 5. And it changes two or three times per second, which is very annoying. Sometimes, when i sing louder, it's more accurate, but it's not easy to maintain such a level.

For that reason, when i try to connect beatmaker 2 and audio midi connect, the result is so far away from what i have in mind that i prefer do it manually, theorically, old school style. It takes more time to correct the result than writing it directly from my mind.

If you find a way to be more accurate, i'm interested. Perhaps it's possible, and it would be a great way to sketch some ideas, a melody made in a dream, during the night... Just have to whistle it, and hop it would be transcribed. If you succeed, tell me!

8. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    #1088 EfratBarTal, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    I bought magic stave and tried singing the notes for some songs. the end result was actually above my expectations, but maybe that's because my expectations were so low. Got around 2/3 of them.

All you should do is the obvious: be as accurate as you can, keep a strong and stable pitch. Don't worry about the timing of the note, just focus on getting it right and then sort the timing afterwards. What's important is the order of notes in the melody. Have enough "spacing" between notes so you don't confuse the transcriber. Also i believe whistling is very inaccurate, i prefer humming.

UPDATE: Not related to the rest of the post: FL Studio Mobile has been updated!

9. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Anyone tried TC-11 and can give some impressions? It's 30 bucks which is a bit too much to spend on something that's never gonna be used.

10. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    TC-11 is ####ing awesome. It sounds great and has the most forward/future thinking interface of any music app available in the store. The sound design options are really vast (it lets you modulate many things with different inputs such as accelerometer, touch speed, number of touches, etc etc etc).

11. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    How many presets does it come with? I suck at making presets so I really need more then a few to start out with.

Have you tried running it in Audiobus into a DAW. I'm curious if ill be able to run it and Auria at the same time on an iPad 2.

12. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #1092 chris1a, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    Check out Yellofier. Really cool and intuitive sampler/sequencer. It's free and it's universal. No lame IAP or ads.

http://vimeo.com/62158758

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

13. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Dude I fried my midi keyboard messing around with a powered USB hub, so I'm probably not the right one to give advice lol. Kvraudio.com or the Audiobus and Auria forums have lots of people that probably can help with what interfaces works and not works etc.

14. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Thanks, looks pretty nice. Will check this out!

15. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Yellofier is pretty cool. Having been a fan of Yello in the 80's/90's this was neat to see. The demo songs are really interesting how they get full songs using just a few samples. Using the effects really help to make you feel there are more sounds than there really are.

16. fumbles

Jan 10, 2012
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAH

Sorry, had to go there.

Love Yello so this is an instagrab.

17. fumbles

Jan 10, 2012
    That doesn't sound good. I have heard that some powered usb hubs backfeed (it's a desired feature if you use a Raspberry Pi). So I was planning to buy one that doesn't backfeed purely for safety's sake. Not sure if that was the cause of your mishap though.

I have a M-Audio usb interface that works fine on the iPad with it's keyboard (MidAir25) and my old SY35. I guess I could sacrifice midi in the short term, or use virtual midi where available. My primary aim is getting clean digital audio out and into my DAW.

18. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Nope. I changed the voltage on the wall plug... Accidentally I should add!

Anyway here's a another nifty little freebie, Chordec. Not a music making app, but could be useful if you wanna steal melodies/chords from some of those awesome Lady Gaga tracks you got in your library. You simply load up a track and it analyses the file for chord progressions etc. And displays it all on the waveform display and a keyboard display. There's sensitivity and time stretching options, not really sure how accurate it is but it's free so..

Chordec :
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chordec/id622403423?mt=8

19. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
  20. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden