Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Bebot is a totally cool app. I wish I was a 100th as good as the demos.... Not being an electronic musician, I love these apps that encourage one to explore, and still be able to make "music" despite not having electronic skills. My favorite still is thumb jam - I have not found anything close that lets me create, while making the interface so easy - although it is funny, when you actually want to play very specific notes, it is not easy to get through, but just "chance music" is great - a blues scale, and I am in heaven...

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's interesting how "same, but different" Bebot and ThumbJam are. Both are some of my most used music apps and you don't know how excited I was to see Bebot on the bus! (It plays very nicely with Glitch1 and JamUp! :D)

The neatest thing about ThumbJam is that if you give me a key/scale (and a patch set for an instrument) I can reasonably fill in for an instrument I don't know how to play. Despite having purchased a few guitar apps, I'm still using ThumbJam more as a guitar to play with effects than anything else. For a while I used 100-in-1 Piano (same sound set as Music Studio) with ThumbJam it is so much easier to be expressive while you play.

And while I'm rambling - I might even be dusting off my old '54 Danelectro and play some real guitar this weekend - Guitar Center was gracious enough to give be a $10 gift cert, and I just blew it on a Peavy AmpKit (which I know is a mediocre interface, but it was nearly free and it's not like I'm needing professional results here, I'm just tinkering. Just gotta hope for things to stay quiet this weekend. (*fingers crossed*)

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's interesting how "same, but different" Bebot and ThumbJam are. Both are some of my most used music apps and you don't know how excited I was to see Bebot on the bus! (It plays very nicely with Glitch1 and JamUp! :D)

The neatest thing about ThumbJam is that if you give me a key/scale (and a patch set for an instrument) I can reasonably fill in for an instrument I don't know how to play. Despite having purchased a few guitar apps, I'm still using ThumbJam more as a guitar to play with effects than anything else. For a while I used 100-in-1 Piano (same sound set as Music Studio) with ThumbJam it is so much easier to be expressive while you play.

And while I'm rambling - I might even be dusting off my old '54 Danelectro and play some real guitar this weekend - Guitar Center was gracious enough to give be a $10 gift cert, and I just blew it on a Peavy AmpKit (which I know is a mediocre interface, but it was nearly free and it's not like I'm needing professional results here, I'm just tinkering. Just gotta hope for things to stay quiet this weekend. (*fingers crossed*)

Also also: Sampletank is on the bus, recommended? I'd have to free up some serious space for it (and scrounge up some iTunes bucks...)

4. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    "Also also: Sampletank is on the bus, recommended? I'd have to free up some serious space for it (and scrounge up some iTunes bucks...)"/ drelbs

Well it is the only really extensive all-round rompler on the AppStore. I bought it when the full version and the full IAP unlock both was on 50% sale and at that price I really can't complain at all. It's universal, and being able to carry around a rompler this extensive in your pocket on your friggin phone is pretty awesome.

If you do buy it, remember the initial price only unlocks so much (not that much really), so at least double (or triple?) the initial price if you want the whole thing. And IK multimedia really like to shove their bullshit ads in your face either via the splash screen or the occasional popup. Also they do use the term "workstation" when describing it when it's just a simple 4 track looper/sequencer without any editing possibilities etc. But Audiobus somewhat remedies that I guess.

Anyway, lots of good and diverse sounds with editable real-time effects. Plus a lot of useful arpeggios. It does go on sale now and then so I'd wait for a sale. I wouldn't lose any sleep over IK not getting full price for their apps..

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    @drelbs - I sure hope you didn't buy that Danelectro new :D:D:D

I got a buddy who plays harmonica, and he's got an old tube Danelectro that is the only amp he mikes through. What a sound...

6. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Regarding SampleTank, I was left rather disappointed with it. Great pianos and that is pretty much all I used it for. And now I use their iGrand app for pianos. Too many of the sounds I was hoping to use have weird anomalies, aliasing on some notes, etc. The Leslie effect for organs is a switch for fast, slow and off. When you turn it off, the sound of the organ is completely different rendering the feature useless.

The leads are pretty good. The drum sets are also a strong point.

I hadn't loaded it in months until the other day when the Audiobus update came out. With limited editing and inconsistent quality of sounds, it just wasn't the ROMpler I was hoping for.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #1107 drelbs, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Hehe, no - but my dad did! :)

Unfortunately his amp no longer works - and I'm probably to blame for that - as a kid my favorite thing to do was kick it over when he finished a song - the spring reverb made the best noise ever! :D

When it died, I bought him a nice PigNose tube amp and a SpringThing which you could stomp on for that thunderous crashing noise (as it is a real spring reverb!)

Edit: guess ill skip on SampleTank for the time being - I don't have the space for it, and I've got a nice collection of samples on CD/DVD, Reason, etc. that work just fine with Beatmaker 2.

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have an old Nick Lucas Gibson acoustic built about 1928 that I got from my dad - I kept it in mint condition - one day, many years ago, I came in my room to see my son (3 years old at the time), banging on the guitar with a spoon an enjoying the noise it made....) so now it has a bunch of nicks and some areas where the finish was destroyed- still has a great sound, but no longer mint - I couldn't justify hurting my son, he didn't know better, and he figured out how to open the case, just from watching me (smart little bugger), but it broke my heart...

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I know how you feel, our daughter's 4 and we have one on the way. I just have to think back and remember how bad my brother and I were as kids - so far she's been waaaay better than that! :eek:

And now I'm definately going to bang the guitar with a spoon later tonight... I should sound great as its got "piano strings" on it.

10. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
  11. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Filtatron is free.

Have it long time.. Probably only used it once though..

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    If one downloads all the IAP, but then deletes everything (for space purposes), will you be able to d/l the IAP in the future? Or will it be like the Atari app, if you delete, you have to pay for the IAP if you got it for free. Anyone know?

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    IAP is tied to your iTunes account.

The issues would be if they are no longer around to download the IAP from, or if the current freebie download doesn't register you as owning the IAP. (Ive got a few apps where I got the IAP as a promo as opposed to "buying" it.

14. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #1114 chris1a, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    I think they've made, at least the current, IAPs permanently free (that's how I read it). Send em a mail and ask, they're usually fast with a response.

Btw the iPhone version of Wavemapper, Minimapper, is out @ $3.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minimapper/id629067665?mt=8

And a full bank with a 100 or so presets for both versions by Alba Ecstasy is available for free at Wolfgangpalm.com.

15. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I bought it even tho I already have Wavemapper. Couldn't help myself, I'm such a app slut. I'm disgusted, I'm gonna go take a shower. :(

By the way, it is awesome tho. Buy it!

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Console yourself in that now you can run two instances in Audiobus!

It's no worse than me buying all this iPad-only stuff ill never get to play with. :(

17. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    The long awaited SunVox update is finally in! :D:D

SunVox is one of my favorite music making apps. It has a steeper learning curve but it can do massive things with its modules.

18. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yeah that's quite bad too lol

The Audiobus update for Sunvox is awesome, not only does it work as input but you can use it as a modular effect unit in the Audiobus effect slot. So lots of sound manglin opportunities there. :)

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    So very happy, I've enjoyed SunVox for quite some time! :D Especially with the effects slot capability - while input-output makes things very handy, it's the effects slot that really changes everything with Audiobus.

20. fumbles

fumbles Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    #1120 fumbles, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    All the Selene Ultimate IAPs are showing a price in the shop. Were they only free for a limited time? Or is the listed price wrong and I won't get charged for "buying" them?

Actually scratch this. There was an update available in the App Store. Even though I just downloaded the app. That's weird.