AppStore business is such a lottery

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jackgreen, Aug 11, 2010.

1. jackgreen

jackgreen Active Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks for very good post Endloop. Pretty much evertything is done alredy. We will try our new viral next week in YouTube. Hired one pretty talanted acrobat to play our Wristbreaker game. Hope to get it virel, but we'll see. YouTube as AppStore is so overloaded that competition is mad...

J

2. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I want to also point out that if you do not have the time or resources to do PR and marketing work, there are several iphone-specific PR firms who will do it for you.

For my first game a friend and I did all the PR, without any significant results. A lot of blogs wrote about the game... but over a 6 months time span.

For the second game I hired a PR firm (Triple Point PR) and they did an amazing job. Got multiple previews to build up hype before release, multiple mentions on the day it came out and numerous reviews at some major media outlets within a few weeks of release. It was also relatively cheap.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    If you're comparing Tatomic to Sketch Nation Shooter, I think you are overestimating the effect of hiring the PR firm in your situation.

Sketch Nation Shooter was simply a very interesting game that would have gotten covered anyway. And I don't remember getting any PR from Triple Point on the game, all the info came and subsequent TA coverage came directly from you guys, I believe.

arn

4. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    #24 Nitzan, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks. :)

The goal of SNS was to do something different and interesting enough to entice media outlets to write about it.

That said, I think it is still important to do as much as possible to help a game succeed. We knew you guys at Touch Arcade from our previous game so we could give you information, but there are other media outlets that we could not, nor had the time to, reach, while the PR company knows almost everyone.