Appvent ~ An Epic Holiday Event

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by CygnetSeven, Nov 27, 2011.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #61 LOLavi, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    Tiny Defense is the worse of the bunch so far... Others have been great, but really don't like this one...

Edit: Actually the apps have been useless to me so far also. Hoping for a big surprise coming in apps, maybe Camera+ :D Yeah, not gonna happen :p

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    is there a spot in iTunes where you can view this? Or did you just go through your previous payment records?

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Imagine how painful going through 62 pages (11 per page) of receipts and calculating the sum of everything was for me, lol. On the bright side, I started doing this about a year ago, so I just add on to my previous sum and start calculating from where I left off every time I calculate my new total, which is every three months. Apple really needs a better way to keep track of this stuff.

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've got 110 pages... Went through 5 and said screw it...

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Like I said, I don't download free games, lol xP. But yeah, it's a horrible and tedious system.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With that $2000 total, I'm surprised you don't at least take advantage of some of the freebies. Yes, probably 90% of them are junk or just "ok", but there are occassionally some really good games that go free and justify the "amazing game" label. I know I've mentioned how good a couple of free games (mostly that I already had were) and I never say it just because it's free.

Cavorite, Blowup!, Linkoidz, Where's My Water, The Adventures of Timmy; Run Kitty Run and Crimson:Steam Pirates are just a few examples of quality games that went free recently. You may not like those games, but they're definately not what I would consider "crap" compared to most of what's on the AppStore (including many I've paid for).

Anyway, just thought it was curious that you choose to pretty much ignore the free games. On the other hand, it could just be that the really good free ones are ones you already have. I've been on both sides of the fence. But I have to admit I've gotten some pretty good freebies during the past two years (and plenty of others that were deleted quickly). Just saying there's sometimes golden eggs in there.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #67 backtothis, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    Cavorite, WMW, Run Kitty Run, and Crimson are indeed some good ones, but like I indeed have all of them already. I actually didn't say all freebies were bad. I mentioned how I thought Space Miner was an excellent one recently. Most games that go free though (the 90% you mentioned) are indeed inferior to similar paid games on the AppStore. It's not really the money that's the issue here, it's the time. I don't see a point in playing a game that's alright, but has a better alternative that costs more.

Of course, this phenomenon only applies to iOS games because the prices are so low to begin with that we consider $4.99/$6.99 games to be expensive. My buying habits for games on other platforms are a lot better/wiser. Like I said, the average $60 I spend on the iOS per month might seem like a lot for the platform, but it's just one new console game.

I actually grabbed NFS Shift 2 for free. I think it's the only free game I got to "take advantage of" in the past month. Never got it because the original NFS Shift was so terrible. Looks like the 2.5 stars TA rewarded NFS Shift 2 was pretty appropriate though. Deleted the game very quickly. Better paid alternatives? RR2 and Asphalt 6.

It really comes down to this: I find it better a use of my time playing games I know are good instead of trying out a freebie I've never heard of before or never bought for various reasons because it'll more likely than not turn out to be inferior to what I could have used that time to play.

Because games are so cheap on the iOS, the games that turn out to be good more than make up for the ones I paid for and deleted quickly. I'm sure this is something we've all felt/experienced before.

8. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

I would give it three complete stars. It's not the worst racer for iOS.

This not.

Alright. But we (some buddies and me) have played Asphalt 6 local multiplayer (what a BLAST!) to death in the meantime. Hours, days and weeks. (BTW had to do a re-install after iOS 5 on iPads because it crashed, what cleared all scores, no word on that by Gameloft.) Never before in my rather long life I've played a video game that extensive.

We know by heart each lousy piece of asphalt of all tracks. And RR2 is absolutely boring for us (we all have it but we never touch it). So we are a bit enjoying S2 for the time being…

Can't await Asphalt 7. (And I hope with all my heart that it won't be such a crap like Fast Furious—it's a "drift forever or pay" game.)

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Today on Appvent Icarus-X, which seems to go free every other week anyway.

10. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I really didn't like Icarus-X, but your mileage may vary. I downloaded it during one of those every other free weeks. Deleted after first play.

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    #71 New England Gamer, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    Let's keep this thread on topic. Free vs Paid and look how much I spent splintered sub-topics ends now.

12. salty

salty Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
  13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
  14. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
  15. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Finally, one I don't have.

16. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    thanks, I was waiting for this one to be free :)

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    up, so now where are we? I'm 1 for 6? =oP

Got Ninja Pong the day it came out... had Icarus-X since I was playing on a 2nd gen... =oP

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
  19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oooh awesome! Match Panic looks like an awesome game, never came around picking it, but now I have the chance!

20. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Match Panic is great! I got it at one of the other times it went free and have had a good amount of fun with it, even if I am fairly bad at it. Definitely recommended!