iPhone Aquaria - (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    DISCLAIMER: I already played Aquaria on PC (and loved every single moment of it), I do not have an iPad but if I had it I would already bought it.

I just received an iPhone 4S and would like to point out a whole different market to the attention of the 'it cannot work on iPhone' crowd (that's always debatable and depends on how devs implement controls, and if it's worth it).
    It's probably a tiny fraction of the market and maybe not worth the hassle but if an iPhone version existed, I would have bought it even with sub par controls on the device just to play it via AirMirroring on the TV, assuming the iPhone changed appearance to became a pad (a finger on the screen as mouse and the circle of song icons....not too difficoult to make, iD nailed it in Rage).
    I started playing some 2D games on the TV today and many are simply GORGEOUS via AirMirroring...I can only imagine how nice Aquaria would be.
    As I said, maybe the market it's not there right now, but I feel it will be the future and should be taken in account sooner or later by devs IMHO.
    (I'm not talking Aquaria devs, I just took the chance to elaborate that on a game I love).

2. Bill Quine

Bill Quine New Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This game is simply gorgeous. I'm already 15 hours in.

That said, I've hit a show-stopping bug. Whenever I try to enter a certain area, the game crashes. This happens even after a reboot and when no other apps are running. The area is the one to the right of the leftmost Abyss section, just below the lower-right Open Waters section. The game crashes no matter which of the three entrances I come in from.

I'm on an iPad 1. The game has been crashing a lot, but until now it's only caused me to lose some progress and I could deal with it. This bug, however, is immensely frustrating. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

3. Andrew Church

Andrew Church New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    #83 Andrew Church, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
    If the game repeatedly crashes in one particular area, that may indicate some of the data got corrupted when it was installed. There's nothing special about the particular area you can't get into, and I've checked here that it loads properly on an iPad 1. (It isn't even the largest user of memory, so I'd be surprised if it triggered an out-of-memory errors -- most of the Veil areas, for example, are larger.)

You can try reinstalling the game to fix this. It's possible to reinstall Aquaria while keeping your save files, but unfortunately a bit convoluted; see my post on the Aquaria forums for instructions.

Also, if you're getting repeated crashes in one area then you may also have some crash reports. Sync your iPad in iTunes, and then look in:
    • (Mac OS X) ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>
    • (Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\<DEVICE_NAME>
    • (Windows Vista/7) C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_NAME>
    If you see any files with "Aquaria" in the name, I'd appreciate it greatly if you could send them to me ([email protected]) so I can investigate. If it's just a corrupted install, there may not be much I can do, but I might be able to work around the particular type of problem you're seeing.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I like this game but it is pretty clear from my experience and the reviews that there are issues when playing this on an ipad1. I hope it gets sorted out.

5. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I am really digging the music!Are there any plans to make the Aquaria Original SoundTrack available on itunes? I know a digital copy is already available elsewhere but putting it on iTunes would make it so much more accessible for everyone.

6. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Loving it all over again on the iPad 2. Magnificent game.

7. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    #87 Agas, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

AQUARIA is one of the nominees for Touch Arcade Game of the Week.

Do you like this underwater world adventure?
    If you think AQUARIA deserves to be the winner of TAGOTW, give it your vote now!

[thread=112283]VOTE HERE[/thread]

8. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    Bandcamp is about the easiest, most accessible place to get the digital copy:

http://infiniteammo.bandcamp.com/album/aquaria-original-soundtrack

Don't need a special account or anything! Getting it on iTunes takes extra unnecessary effort sadly :(

9. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    Yeap, me too!

To be fair, it looks like iPad1 crashes are only happening to 0.05% or less (so 2000:1 chance) of installs (and that's being generous!), so they're pretty rare. The vast majority of those crashes, 95% or more, are fixed by simply rebooting the iPad itself, and are due to low memory problems. Aquaria is just a big, beautiful game :p However we already have some local fixes that help it play a lot more nicely with the iOS memory management system though, which should help a lot, and we are submitting that update very soon, we just want more time to test it internally before we foist it upon our innocent users :)

We only have 2 or 3 unexplained crash reports (out of about 10,000 installs!) and are investigating them now. They are hell of mysterious, but we're narrowing down some possibilities; at least a couple of them may be due to iTunes performing a corrupt install of the app when it is first downloaded, which is unfortunately out of our hands.

Anyways, I'm very glad you all are enjoying Alec, Derek and Andrew's hard work, and for the few of you that are having some crashes, especially on iPad1, I definitely recommend rebooting your device. For those rare cases that persist we would love to work with you to track down these last few corner cases, either directly through our support email, or even better through the Aquaria iPad message board, so that the solutions can be public more easily:

http://www.bit-blot.com/forum/index.php?board=9.0

Thanks everyone :) it's been an awesome launch so far, and we all appreciate the help and support we've received so far.

10. TheShoresOfHell

TheShoresOfHell Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Just beautiful; i´ve played the PC version before, but this one deserves our support too. This is an beatufully crafted game. Get it!

11. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #91 violentv, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    Form changes can be hotkeyed in the PC version... the pop up menu on the bottom left is suppose to reflect this but is it possible to make form changing a bit more convenient on the ipad? A lot of form switching is done for most of the boss battles and being able to shuffle between forms with a quick tap would be awesome.

Also...auto aim doesn't seem to be kicking in for Beast Shots. In fact, some of the projectiles of creatures that are suppose to be homing aren't homing in when I acquire them in beast form .. is this intended?

EDIT: The sunken city boss is stupidly hard without auto aim for beast shot T_T

12. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i bought this game yesterday, order a ipad over the weekend.. looks like this game will be very relaxing.. jammin to some pink floyd and getting lost in the underwater world.
    chris.

13. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    I saw the Aquaria highlight on the TA front page and downloaded it on Friday. My kids and I spent probably 6 hours this weekend exploring together. I love when I find a game that draws my whole family in. I really can't think of anyway to improve the game in the iPad. I do wish it was universal though and played on my 4s.

The only time it glitches on my iPad 1 was during a song creation to move a rock. That just means I need to upgrade my hardware ;). This is a new favorite I will continue to play for a long time. Great job.

-

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Really love the game so far. This is the first game out of many on my iPad 2, which I can play early in the morning on my way to work.
    Not really a morning person and most games are a bit too intense or require too much brain.

Although... this morning I was getting a bit stressed as it took me five times (I kid you not) to beat the evil god boss, which you must lure into the vertical orange energy beam. That wasn't a pleasant experience.
    Speaking of which... I truly love the "bright" theme of the game better versus the "dark" theme of the game. Really hope the game will get return to the other theme shortly.
    Guess I'll find out this afternoon when I commute back home from work! ;)

And yes. This game has my vote! Game of the month if I can help it... really glad I bought this and every other iPad owner owes it to him or herself too!
    Truly a deep and unique experience that feels perfect for a device such as the iPad. In my humble opinion, I think it would lose a lot of it's immersiveness on a much smaller screen.
    I hardly ever play games on my iPhone anymore. Especially titles like this one.

15. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany

It easily got my vote! It is a great game and deserves the attention.

16. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    Mine as well.

17. kcs

kcs Member

Jan 20, 2011
    very nice game!

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    In case noone has mentioned this yet: this is iPad Game of the Week on Apple Apps Store.

19. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Help pls

Hoping for help please.
    I'm stuck in the energy temple. I tried to retrace my steps, but the exit/entrance is blocked.

Thoughts please?

20. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    AQUARIA is TOUCH ARCADE GAME OF THE WEEK 2/11/11

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks a lot for your votes!

Check out all of TAGOTW winners (including Aquaria) for your game references [thread=110389]HERE[/thread]

And don't forget to vote again this week.

Get in touch with TAGOTW 9/11 where you can start nominating your favorite game of this week [thread=112918]HERE[/thread].