Universal Arcade Physics Survival Game: Splash Damage (Also Promo Codes)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kinshuksunil, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What Apple devices will you be using in November?

1. iPhone 5/5s

50.0%
  2. iPhone 6/6+

20.8%
  3. iPad with Retina

12.5%
  4. iPad Air

12.5%
  5. iPad Mini Retina

8.3%
  6. Older Devices

16.7%
  1. digikhel

digikhel Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Design, Dev, and marketing
    Bangalore, India
    LEJ4RTM93HN7

Thanks!

2. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I've stopped playing it for a while, but thats mainly because I have no ones high score to beat. If anyones willing to beat my score I'll hop back on :D

3. kinshuksunil

kinshuksunil Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Check again, your score was broken last night :p

Also, new update is here folks. We have one last update to put up there, before we start working on liquids.

So version 0.5 is finally here, and here is what's changed:
    * the biggest and most obvious change is in the game's performance
    * More work on fluid physics
    * Fixed the bug where the red liquid was causing too much damage
    * balancing power-ups
    * started working on in-game progressions
    * fixed issue with game center leaderboards
    * fluid 60fps gameplay across devices
    * new profile and powerup screens (not functional, just visual)

work on 0.6 is already 80% done, we have a few interface tweaks left and a sight game progression bug to fix. It should be around in 7-10 days as well (including Apple's review time).

Please let us know how you like the new fast and fluid gameplay in version 0.5..

4. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    #44 kinshuksunil, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Also fresh 20 codes:

3N69APEARK97
    HMYLEFPN74WK
    YM4THJNF9N7A
    T3NAR7KFRT69
    FFY6WXY4JMR7
    YYKT9NXJJR77
    JJMPYTRX4JRR
    FAH9HPXM6XTN
    437EM34HM3F9
    W3379KPHJ99M
    MNHF6XL9WN3J
    AXAPYJ3MWWKW
    3MWYHTLWY44E
    6TMMRX37RTKF
    YE7ATNPTHHP9
    3LM4YEXTFJWF
    PHKHLW6N39HM
    9RLMR9PYPT9A
    EMT73F7JWA4M
    7A9PFJNWKAMM

5. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Doesnt show an update for me. Still 0.4

6. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    We just released it. Might take an hour or two to show up across the world. :)

7. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Ahh ok just got 1962 btw. So close!!!!

8. DanielSnd

DanielSnd Member

Oct 4, 2013
    #48 DanielSnd, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Claimed HMYLEFPN74WK :)

Damn :O great idea, addicting gameplay! My best was around 350 so far, will play more later.

9. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Wow kudos to who ever is #1 lol. Just spent 2 hours trying to get the throne back and had no luck!

10. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Give it your best shot!
    You got the new update?

11. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Still no update :/

12. theamitgoyal

theamitgoyal Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Feedback

Ok, so I have been playing the game for some time now, and here are my two cents (for whatever they are worth)

Stuff I like

- There is an addictive quality about the game... one is never enough which is really cool
    - There are these moments when I almost fall to certain doomed, only to be saved by a platform that emerges at the last moment. That's a great feeling and works really well for the game
    - The main menu transition is awesome
    - Fast turnaround time between games, I hope that is not going to change
    - Power ups: they work really well in the context of the gameplay and are paced perfectly

Stuff I don't like

- The music. While I generally like chiptunes music, it is not working for me in this game at least. I would have preferred something more sweeping, with long drawn notes and something that slowly pics up pace as you go along.

- My clear takeaway after playing the game is Red = Bad, Blue = Good. That's because if my character gets heavier, I have the upward moving platforms to offset that disadvantage. However, I have no defence most of the time against getting lighter (unless when I can hold on for long enough for a weight reset to show up and rise to my level. Generally I have no control over things at this point since I am close to the red liquid and taking a lot of splash damage from it, and power ups are not in my control to begin with) I don't know if that's what you are going for, but somewhere I feel an equal amount of threat arising from both liquids would have given a more tense feeling to the game.

- I am not able to understand how the colour changes indicate weight shift. My understanding is that as the colour shade moves closer to red you're getting lighter and blue indicates heavier. However there have been times where I have been dragged into the red liquid even at a slightly lighter shade of green.

- Scoring in decimal points is not looking cool, because the decimal point number is essentially flickering between 0 and 7

Questions

- How close are the current visuals to the target visuals?
    - Do you intend to add some sort of collectible currency and/or store to the game which impacts player progression?

13. theamitgoyal

theamitgoyal Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    That would be me :p

You almost got me though! Just 20 points :)

14. waffer15

waffer15 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Used 3LM4YEXTFJWF

15. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    ;)
    [​IMG]

16. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    I think thats a fitting message.

Is there a problem with Game Center?
    (also I dont see the update in the game, check App Store > Updates ?)

17. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    #57 oscar123967, Jul 8, 2014
    Yeah nothing there.

Also not sure if you've encountered this before, but at time I'll get this bug where the square would get wedged inbetween two platform - making it stop moving for a second or two.

[​IMG]

I would touch the right side to move right, then it'll just get wedged between there.

Aslo I agree with theamitgoyal: instead of mixing the colors the square should get red or blue. The more res the square is the lighter, the more blue the square is the heavier.

That being said, I would change the color of the background & platforms and make the square white instead of green

18. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    #58 kinshuksunil, Jul 8, 2014
    I will reply to both theamitgoyal's and oscar123967's feedback here, combined:

The fast turn around times are not going to change. We want you to keep playing now, don't we ;)

The art and audio for the game is completely placeholder, right now. we have made no effort towards them as of now (also explains the ugly sfx sounds). We have, now, reached the point (with the development till today), where we now have the opportunity to work on audio and art. So I hope that only by version 0.7 will the art and audio start getting into place.

"Red = Bad / Blue = Good" takeaway is slightly tricky. It feels so because right now (till 0.5) there are issues with how the physics of red works. In the end game, nothing will be good and bad, everything will be neutral and will behave according to player's play style. There will be occasions when you will want to be red, because you will be waiting for platforms to come ;)

Having said that, red does seem slightly unfair. But remember, blue making you heavy directly affects your ability to move between platforms and the time you spend in the air. Both have their own consequences.

As we move towards the final build, it will get more polished and tweaked, and will feel more balanced.

The issue with getting light and dragged up to the red liquid even when you are yourself green is actually a bug that has now been fixed.

Scoring is still open to interpretation. On Game Center, there is no trailing digit being recorded. So we still have to figure that out.

Like currently said, the in-game visuals are nowhere close to final art. How different are they? We don't know. We haven't decided how we want the final game to look like.

Regarding the player progression: SPOILER ALERT!
    So all those power ups, you see, are upgradable. But to upgrade, you have to cross in-game milestones and then decide which powerups to go for, like a tech-tree. This is how we think we will be implementing it. Though it is a few builds away.

The key idea being, you will keep coming back to the game to compete and to evolve.

That issue with getting stuck at the wedge was not noticed by us. But by now it has been fixed already (we already changed the whole platform system :p)

19. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Also, this is how version 0.6 looks right now :D

[​IMG]

20. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    #60 oscar123967, Jul 8, 2014
    Looks good, but I personally am a fan of the pixel red/blue art style that 0.4 has.

And yea once you reach high scores you'll want red more than usual because platforms take longer to show up. So you're going to want to fall down slower than usual :D

About the tech tree, I'm interested but a little scared to see if it unbalances the game. Since some people will have a high advantage than others, but I'll have to wait and see when it becomes part of the game. And what type of milestones are we talking? Get (x) amount of power ups? Reach (x) amount of points? And will achieving milestones earn you a multiplier such as in Tiny Wings?