Arcane Battles - Puzzle RPG [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Afftor, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DomTranslator

DomTranslator Active Member

Feb 17, 2014
    First impression

I've been playing it for a couple hours, and my first impression was positive.

It shows the game - while not in beta anymore - is still under development, but the mechanics are interesting and I loved the general aesthetics of the game.
    In particular, I'm looking forward to seeing how the guild system will be implemented - I have the impression that it may a bit difficult to make it a key part of the game, but I'll be more than happy if you prove me wrong!

Oh, the timer... I agree that it is sometimes frustrating, but in the freemium era I see it as a common practice, and I don't think it'll be a problem.

The only suggestion I'd give you at this point is to move the 'Help' file in a different position. New players need to see this file, and ATM it's a bit buried in the menus.
    You may add an NPC within the main manu/map and give the same information as answers to a predetermined list of questions players can ask. The way I see it, it's a more immediate and more attractive alternative.

Thumbs up, and I'm looking forward to seeing the game in Europe too!

2. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Hi!

Thank you, great to hear that!

I'll think about moving Help... Did you find small "i" badges (in battles and army) to be of some help?

Also, we are working on Guilds and chat right now, as well as regular events.
    Guilds are going to be sort of cooperative boss-fights, were you have limited time to beat tough bosses and earn rewards depending on how much damage you dealt (personal and guild rewards together).

By the way, did you had a chance to try PvP and friends?

3. DomTranslator

Feb 17, 2014
    Yeah, I appreciated the info badges, even though I am familiar with this kind of game, and I didn't have to use them that much.

While I haven't tried friends, I fought a few PvP battles, and I liked the way it works!

4. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Thanks!

Thank you for the info - good to know that you liked PvP!

Let me know if you'll try adding and summoning friends as well - it could be very useful in single-player to beat tough bosses (also, you get to try active skills that other players have). )

5. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
  6. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
  7. Piscinarii

Piscinarii Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I have been playing for a few hours myself and love the game so far. It's a well implemented match 3 type game. The map system is fun and eventually you hit a wall waiting for energy which is typical. PvP is straight forward and the horns you have for it I have used to just complete the quests faster.

Anyone have luck with the rare draw? I think I have drawn about 10 times now and have only gotten 2 uncommon, no rares. If I find myself still playing this weekend I will be happy to drop some dollars to see what the paid draws are like. I also noticed that the legendary draw actually doesn't have any legendaries in the preview scroll. Thoughts?

8. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Hi!
    We're planning worldwide release in mid-March or so, once we finish with polishing and add few more features.
    I'll make sure to let you know!

9. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Hi!
    Thank you - it's good to know that you enjoyed our game! ))

As for your questions about getting rare creatures:
    - if you're fishing for Rares in draws, it would be best try Elite contracts or making draws for gold (it's not hard to farm it)
    - also, don't forget Evolve - if you'll get enough Commons and Uncommons you can evolve them into Rare - takes 3 to 1 rate (9 Commons = 3 Uncommon
    = 1 Rare)

As for Legendary - random creatures available in a pack are shown, so don't worry, there is always chance to get Legendary with a pack.
    Though 10 Pack has always a higher chance of getting good creatures - i.e.
    making 1 draw of any 10Pack is better than 10 draws of single creature.

Hope I helped! )

10. mikeworld

mikeworld Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    It really shitty you cant get chest again on levels you've already completed

11. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    I'm afraid that would be too easy )) But you can still get experience and level-up your army + you get the gold and improve skills through Merge this way.

But we'll introduce Events soon - so there will be plenty of new lower level dungeons to farm for chests and mobs. )

12. mikeworld

Oct 10, 2013
    #32 mikeworld, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    but you still only get gold only when you get it while in battle not after completing a battle

also im a low level player yet im already being attacked by higher level players in pvp. whats up with that? you should have to option to manually enter pvp arena not be automatically put in it

also do total energy capacity increase or is it at 50 forever?

Also you should change quest to challenges as it doesn't take you to the actual quest area. This will cause confusion.
    and the guild events you mention is the same as Raid instances so why not call it Raid instead?
    A guild event should be guild vs guild
    You should also rename PVP to Arena. Arena consist of ranked arena (pvp) and unranked arena (friendly match)
    When guild is implemented allow that to show under profile so people will know which guild you belong to

13. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Hi!

PvP is matched based on the number of your Honor Points (medals), so sometimes you might get attacked be player who has cool army but not many medals yet.
    We're working on how to add more parameters to match, so that it would be more fair.

Max energy always stays 50 right now, but we're thinking about allowing to increase this limit for crystals. Do you think that would be good idea?

14. mikeworld

Oct 10, 2013
    #34 mikeworld, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Please read thoroughly
    note: pvp aka arena

pvp must be glitch then because the people who have attacked me have these honor points (106,168,235,235) and im only at 63. that is beyond twice my honor points. now i only have 1 horn.
    Also honor points should NOT be tied to pvp.. you should have separate ranking system for PVP.
    you enter pvp on your own. you win you get rewards.
    you ascend in pvp ranks base on your win/lose ratio
    pvp should be separate from guilds and quest. it should have its own ranking or points system.
    It should not be tied to honor points because honor points is tied to story progression and those who cannot progress thru story will be stuck with low honor points and lose even more honor points because you lose 1 honor points for each pvp fight

and I am tcg/ccg game junkie and tried and played every kind that i can get my hands on and not once have i encounter a game where you pay to increase your max energy. it always the case where you have your character/account that increases in level through exp and your max energy capacity increases along with your progress.
    i like that your monsters increase in lvl through battling (normally it's your character that does) and the way to increase its skill is thru enhancement (which is normally how you would lvl up your monsters)
    so you are switching game mechanics around...that's fine
    but i don't think putting your max energy capacity behind a pay wall will receive great appreciation

the fact that the game does not have a main character progression really hinders any method for increasing max energy cap other than paying to increase it.
    for games that gives you 1-3 skill points for each level up to use on your attributes (hp,energy, stamina,deck capacity) normally people would use it all on increasing their max energy cap so they can play longer

* Why not give each part of the game (quest,pvp,guilds,raids) its own ranking or points system? this would be the BEST solution since you don't have character progression

again
    Raid or Instance - fight a stage or a boss with your friends (more reason to seek friendship amongst members)
    Guild - fight events together with your guild members. guild events such as guild war
    PVP - you vs another player
    Quest - story line, story quest
    Accolades - where you will find challenges to complete

As it stand people who don't pay wont be able to complete even half of all quest let alone compete in pvp which is broken from my experience so far because its tied to the story progression.

Summoning rate seems low. already used 7 contracts (1x summons) and got all commons. not even 1 uncommon

I can see myself spending hundred$ on this game but wont do so until I see better mechanics implemented

15. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Hi!

Thank you for very detailed feedback - we appreciate it and we'll try to make game as good as we can!

So, let me address your points:

1) PvP - yes, we're working on matching - it seems that high and low Honor Points threshold for matching is too much, so we'll narrow it down a bit once there would be enough players (we've just started out, so we wanted to make sure everyone could find a match). Good point - thank you!

2) Pay to increase energy - you're right, that is why did not make it in first place: there is no need for paywall and we also don't think anyone like that.
    The problem with energy increase is that we don't have hero (character) levels, only mob levels, so it would be hard to tie it together. For now, we'll probably have energy fixed, but we'll think about adding main hero progression to increase energy slowly.

3) Own leaderboard for every game part (i.e. quests, pvp) - not a bad idea, but don't you think it'll mess up interface and make it hard to evaluate how strong you've become? Right now we use honor points to measure "overall" strength and activity - you can remain at the top only if you progress through the game and take part in PvP (and get additional bonuses from PvP mission, naturally). But we'll think more - I see your point about different parts of the game influencing each other too much.

4) Summoning - it's best to use 10X summon (it has higher chance of bringing in better mobs), but I guess we did not state it anywhere clear enough. So good strategy would be to wait till you have 10 contracts. Except for expensive Epic and Legendary packs - you'll get something nice anyway. :)

I hope you'll play our game in a meantime, as we're working on big update - we're going to introduce Events (weekly maps) and Guilds with their own mechanics and special fights, as well as couple other nice features (like areas generating income when completed). :)

So we'd be glad if you could stay with us - your feedback is very welcome!

Thanks!

16. DomTranslator

Feb 17, 2014
    A totally different map every week? This is going to be interesting... :)

17. mikeworld

Oct 10, 2013
    #37 mikeworld, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    not so much leaderboards and ranking, but rather its own points system.
    for example guilds would be based on guild points (GP), pvp would be honor points (HP), and quest with quest points and raid with raid points

OR
    use arena points for PVP (arena)
    and use honor points for PVE - everything else like quest, guilds, etc...

Basically what im trying to get to is that PVP (arena) SHOULD NOT be INFLUENCED by the main story or guilds. pvp is just members against members nothing more. why should your progression in the story or affiliation with a guild influence your pvp ranking? it should'nt. pvp is nothing more than you testing your deck against another player to see who is stronger.

also introduce daily log in bonuses (golds and crystals) as well as friendship points for every time you call a friend for help
    It would also be nice to be able to recruit a friend on quest missions as im sure the later stages of the quest will get significantly tougher
    A character progression is a plus. dont limit yourself with having only monsters as a measure of your progress in the game. adding a main char progression will increase activity and time spent on game

and i am playing the game right now as a matter of fact. it is interesting enough to keep me interested. will it last? only you can decide that

18. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    DomTranslator

Yeah, that's the idea - weekly events with new challenging maps every week. )

mikeworld

Thanks, mikeworld - these are some interesting ideas! We'll keep them in mind - can't make promises, cause we need to have everyone sit down and discuss them, but they are very welcome.

Have fun playing our game, and don't hesitate to bring up matters in future if you have concerns or ideas! ))
    I hope you'll stay with us for a long time, especially once Guilds and Events are in. ) We'll do what we can to make it interesting.

19. mikeworld

Oct 10, 2013
    weekly events in shape of maps is good to keep game alive weekly

also right now ive just been grinding for gold and exp since i only have the rare card I start out with combined with a common and the uncommon you get as a reward for signing in 3 days in a row
    This is what people who aren't or have yet to spend money on crystals are probably doing right now...grinding
    Grinding is fun at first, but if that's the only thing you have to hope for then there is no reason to stay and keep playing in the future
    avoid segregating your players at all costs

i understand you can't make promises
    but most important thing right now is getting people to know your game exist.
    one way to do that is through referral sharing. currently that is not present within the game; only facebook inv which is looking alien to me seeing that there are no button that says inv fb friends

20. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Hi!

We're thinking about how to implement facebook invites technically now.

As for grinding - yes, you might want to grind a bit, but as you progress through the game you'll come to notice that we reward tough dungeons in certain areas with high-tier mobs - so you probably won't be stuck for too long in each area. )) We don't want to make a full paywall, cause that only annoys people - we already have a player who has pretty much went through most areas without paying - it is tough, but possible. )