Universal Arcane Quest Adventures, Tabletop RPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lordnedox, Sep 5, 2015.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    LOL, I knew that's where you were going with that question...

2. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Regardless of the terminology or objections to it, I will say that the gameplay feels very similar to a roguelike, enough that I would naturally choose the same description when mentioning this to friends. Very much enjoying this one so far and also love AQ2

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Congratulations on the release!
    Only played a bit, first impression is pretty good.

What I do not like is that there's only one saveslot.
    I like to experiment around and try different characters. But losing my progress for that? Thanks, but no.
    In my opinion not an ideal design decision, as it discourages trying out characters.
    Any chance you can change that in an update? To e.g. one saveslot per class/char?

And I miss an explanation for the mercenaries. Do they level up with me? What happens when I want to try another one? Etc.
    I got a Wizard (the one with the Healing spell) and already regret it. Need to try still if I can exchange him easily, or have to pay again to get a different merc.

If/when I start another game, I'd not buy one that early, but focus on better equipment first.

4. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    It's similar to a roguelike in that they're both RPGs. I'm not trying to be pedantic, this game doesn't even have roguelike elements, let alone being called a roguelike in the description. It has tabletop RPG influences from what I can tell, not RL. Final Fantasy, Pokemon and Tetris have more in common with roguelikes than this game.

I guess if the game had no iAPs and didn't have the intention to make money I wouldn't care. He could call it a flight simulator if he wanted to. Then again, it's free to initially download so it's not really a big deal. People have liked this dev's previous games so there's also that. TBH, I'm just replying because you might be giving people the wrong idea.

5. lordnedox

lordnedox Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Have mercy, I'm 34 years old with a full time job and I make games during my spare time. I haven't played games for quite a long time and just didn't realize that roguelike required randomly generated dungeons.
    It's not meant to scam players into downloading the game, at all.

6. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Right. You're not trying to be pedantic, but Tetris is closer to a RL than this game.

Someone needs a time-out!

7. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #27 zen_mode, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Well yeah, it has procedural generation and permadeath. Anyway give it a rest. As I said in my post I don't really care, I was just replying to guy that kept insisting it was a roguelike. I wish the dev all the best with it.

Also asking the mods to place me in time-out because I compared the game to Tetris is just... Weird.

8. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    You replied to me and that was the only time I mentioned that the game play reminded me of roguelikes. It has 3 out of 5 roguelike qualifiers (rpg elements, tile based, turn based game play) It is also somewhat punishing upon death very similar, if not as severe as permadeath.

9. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #29 zen_mode, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    That literally just makes it an old school RPG, similar to tabletop RPGs before the game Rogue even existed.

The whole thing that Rogue added and started the roguelike genre is the exact things that you didn't mention. Prior to that, RPGs had the mechanics you mentioned.

I guess Dungeons and Dragons, which existed almost a decade before Rogue, is also a roguelike because it's a tile based, turn based RPG.

No idea why I even bothered writing this, you just had to spend 5 seconds on Wikipedia. I won't be reply anymore to this - You win, it's a roguelike, more roguey than the game Rogue itself.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I just think that it's pretty interesting, because when I first got into roguelikes, most people (even other hardcore gamers) would be like "huh?" when you mentioned the term, and now developers are proudly displaying the term in their game descriptions as a selling point. That shows how far the genre has come.

11. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'll be honest, I still have no clue what the term really means.

12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It's like 'RPG'. If you try to define it, only tears will follow.

13. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    No one asked mods to do anything. You're the weird, paranoid and OCD one, B.

14. ForTheEmperor

ForTheEmperor Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    iOS 9?

Just downloaded this game and went to try it out, won't work on my iPhone 6 with iOS 9 :( I'll wait for an update and try again.

15. IISMDII

IISMDII New Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Just downloaded and got arcane quest 2 as wel, just to try.

Both games wont start on my 5S with iOS9

16. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Unfortunately they use the same game engine, which is broken on iOS 9.

Just applied the fix and submitted to the App Store, but it will take approx 5 business days (sometimes less, sometimes more) for Apple to review and certify the update.

Sorry for the issue..

17. ForTheEmperor

ForTheEmperor Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That's ok, thanks for having a fix quickly. You got it on my phone so it's going to get played ;)

18. IISMDII

IISMDII New Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Thanks for your fast reaction

19. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Update 1.0.1 has been released and now works properly on iOS 9, thanks for the patience :)