Universal Arcane Quest HD Remaster (by Nex Game Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lordnedox, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Is that on purpose, that when playing Hardcore and your whole party gets killed, you restart at beginning of that dungeonlevel?
    If yes, I'd like to ask to add an option to do that manually. The only reason I abanoned my last game was that the Paladin got killed by the last monster on the level, and I killed it too fast in return - so there was nothing left to kill my party and try again from level start.
    Also, sounds fair enough. Replaying a level takes quite some time already. Replaying a whole dungeon cause a char dies at the end of stage 9 of 10 and I can't restart from level beginning? Nah, too harsh if you ask me.

2. lordnedox

lordnedox Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Yes definitely these are easy fixes and it's something I thought about during the beta testing, will include in the next update.

Might sound weird that I don't remember the rules of my own game, but I'm quite sure that if you die in a dungeon in hardcore mode, you restart from the beginning of that level, not the whole quest.
    And if you wish to restart the level there's an option in the pause menu called "Abandon dungeon", which let's you restart from the beginning of the level, with the same status as you started it. So be aware that if you end a dungeon with one or more dead heroes, you won't be able to restore them ever again for that quest, but you can restart the level if you like.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I will take a look into this to confirm.

Cheers

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for taking our change request into account, Marco. Very much appreciated.

Oh, and color me stupid ;) I didn't read the "abandon quest" confirmation message careful enough.
    First line says "abandon current dungeon?" Even with the second line going "current progress in level will be lost" I took it as "abandon completely, start over from level 1".
    Just tested to be sure: and yes, you only restart the current level. Could be phrased a bit better I think, but I don't have a good alternative right off the bat.

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Like it so far but agree with the earlier comment about the movement from the dice screen. Really should be a tap to close the dice roll screen then allow you to tap to move. Kind of annoying that it moves just from tapping while on the tap screen.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Dwarf - best in defense? Not right now

Found another oddity:
    The Dwarf is labeled as "best in defense". Shouldn't he have 3 defense dice then, instead of 2 like everyone else? Just like the Barbarian is the top attacker and has 3 attack dice. And if I recall right, the Dwarf had an extra def die in all other AQs, too.

So far I see the Barb, Dwarf and Paladin as the three best balanced and thought-out chars.
    Will give the Evoker and Rogue a shot next.

6. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    That's inheritance from the original HeroQuest. The dwarf actually has defense spells, that makes him the best in defense, but the startup dice are the same as other heroes.
    On the other hand it would make the use of armor useless for him. But I'm willing to change this if it feels wrong :)

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hhmm... the Dwarf's defense spell you can only use once per level, so it's rather limited.
    I'd try giving him an extra def die and see how it works out. The Barb has 3 att dice to start with, and having one dedicated damage powerhouse isn't much of a problem either.
    Dwarf with higher defense is an excellent doorplug ;)

Also, I have to revise my original judgement of Gold being too scarce. At level 5/10 of Lost Rune now, and doing pretty well. Of course, the 20% extra Gold from Hardcore help a lot.
    I'll post a more detailed report when I have time, probably tomorrow.
    Running with Barb, Assassin, Paladin, Evoker this time. Going really well so far.

8. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    #28 vonknut, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Seems cool so far

But does the game not save progress in quests?
    Played to level 3 in a 10 level quest.
    Picked up the game the day after, and can only restart the quest from level 1, not continue where was...

Nevermind, found the 'load' button on the mainmenu (auto saves fine).

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #29 Nullzone, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Feedback - Arena Quest

Just completed the Arena on Hardcore, was a lot easier than expected. At not time was I in danger of dying.
    I always had more than enough Potions and Items to boost in every major combat on each level.

Heroes: Barbarian (Barb), Warmage (War) with Poison and Sword.

Here's how much Gold I had per level and what I spent it on:
    1: 1193g. Nothing. But could and should have bought 2 Requiems to make level 2 a breeze.
    2: 2525g. Armageddon & Terrorshield for Barb. Bought Requiem by accident, for War.
    3: 1117g. Backpack for both, really needed to carry more already.
    4: 1693g. Armageddon for War.
    5: 2161g. Woodarmor & Greathelm for Barb.
    6: 2574g. Woodarmor went to War, bought Greathelm for War, Plate for Barb.
    7: 2051g. Life Pendant for War, Agility Ring for Barb.
    8-15: 15k Gold at end of level 15. But out of stuff to buy at level 8, way too early.

I also found a +5 Diagonal Attack 10% Stunchance 1-handed Dwarven Hammer for the Barb. Nice thingie.
    @Marco: That Hammer doesn't have graphics, my Barb attacked emptyhanded. Guess you forgot to add one. Oh, and why can't I buy it? It shows with a value of 0 Gold, too.

Some observations:
    - I ran out of buyable items way too early. The available stuff sure is good enough. But it would be nice to have at least one more tier of progress, like the above Dwarven Hammer. I ended up with I think 20k Gold and nothing to spend it on.
    - That I can buy Rings only once each is not good. Weapons and Armor I can get as many as I want. Can you do the same for the Rings, please?
    - Plate & Agility Ring doesn't seem to work properly. I ended up with 1 Move at least once, which looks wrong: Plate gives -1 move dice, Agi Ring +1 move dice, should cancel each other out. Looks like something's off with your calculation. Also, the description isn't clear. Should say "-1 move die" instead of "-1 move" (which I read as -1 move*point*, substracted from the dice roll result). Same goes for the Ring, should say "+1 move die".
    - Poison to me is the best Magic School: All 3 spells are very useful for boss fights. Reduce attack and defense, and make any non-boss skip a turn.

Play report and musings on the Lost Rune as soon as I get around to writing it up.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just hopping by really quick to say thanks for the spell list, Marco.
    Didn't have time yet to do a full writeup :(
    In a nutshell: Poison is the best Spell School, everything else is just - sometimes useful - window dressing ;)

11. ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Is there anywhere that explains the dice role? In the tutorial if I click on a goblin I see the rating attack 2 shield 1. My dice role shows attack 1 hero shield 1 and the goblin dies. I have no idea what that means and I can’t find any dice explanation online. The game looks good but without an understanding of the system playing it is pretty pointless. thanks for any help.

12. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    Hi, please checkout the question mark button on the main menu, it will open the help screen which explains all the rules of the game, including how the dice work.
    Let me know if you need any help,

Cheers and thanks for playing

13. ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. For the dice it says “look at the table below to see the value of each side of the dice”. But there is no table and the dice images aren’t interactive. There is just a close button?

14. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    That's probably a bugged resource, BTW the table would simply show that each die has 3 skulls, 2 white shields and 1 black shield. Skulls count for attack points, shields for defense points (white for heroes, black for monsters), when you attack just subtract skulls and shields to get the HP removed from the defender.

Cheers

15. ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Hmmm... How about a quick scenario. I roll:
    - 3 white skulls
    - 2 white shields
    - 1 black shield
    I would have thought that meant 3 white attack points offset by the 1 black defense point for a total of 2HP lost for the defender. But that doesn't explain what the 2 white shields are all about. So I'm still lost. And on top of that I cannot believe anyone would put all this effort into developing a game but completely ignore the need to explain how it works?

16. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    I cannot check the iOS version right now, there might be a bug in the help screen and in that case my apologies.
    Please refer to the attached screens taken from the help section of the game (on Android):

Cheers

Attached Files:

17. ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks for that. I guess my confusion is really the white shields. On the players attack roll does the white shield points count against the monsters attack points on their roll?

18. lordnedox

May 9, 2014
    No, when a character attack, only the skulls matter. When a character defend, only the shields matter.

So if your hero attacks rolling 4 dice, and the result is:
    - Skull, Skull, White Shield, Black Shield --> The result is 2 (for the 2 skulls)

The monster defends with 3 dice:
    - Skull, White Shield, Black Shield --> The result is 1 (for the black shield)

So 2 - 1 = 1, the monster loses 1 HP

Cheers

19. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Can you make it iphone X compatible