are game developers trying to anger me

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jacksoncombs, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I love how you can't differentiate between advice and ridicule.

2. Fletch11

Fletch11 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Like I said..........

3. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

If buying games make you angry and lose money at the same time, the solution is obvious. :rolleyes:

4. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    A developer should set the price and stick with it... And if a sale happens it should be in a blue moon... if all developers realise this then everyone would be happy...

5. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Cod was never $7, check appshopper if you don't believe me

6. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    It's hard to know how to price things as "the rules" change so rapidly. And when you have the likes of Sega, Rockstar, Konami and Namco being all over the place regarding this issue (like anyone else, these high-profile industry leaders notoriously drop prices down to nothing for the reasons I described above) it just makes it impossibly hard for us much smaller developers to play any other game than the one they perpetuate. Yeah, we might have a good 13 or so fans who respect us for taking that kind of stance, but 13 fans won't enable us to keep producing any kind of product and we'll just have to shut down altogether.

7. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    -_- He was referring to you.

8. jacksoncombs

jacksoncombs Well-Known Member

oh no not you again, your that bi guy!

9. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Well think about it this way....the world will end in 2012 anyways so you might as well not care.:D

10. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    i like this idea

11. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    This guy is hilarious.

12. In a perfect world...

But the App Store is not a perfect world. It's a messed-up world. Early developers back around mid-08 started setting the trend that most developers would follow: The race to the bottom. Indie developers hoping to make money by volume rather than quality. And average consumers being average consumers flocked to the impulse-buy-level bargains, even if what they were getting was sub-par. But that meant the eventual deveopers who would come later would have to start following the same trend if they wanted to make any money, because people started seeing games averaging $1-2 and that's what they began to expect, so when more expensive games and apps started showing up, the growing sense of entitlement the average consumer was developing made them demand ever more polished apps for their dollar. Developers complied -- they had to if they wanted to survive -- and that just made the problem worse.

Put in simpler terms: The bottom racers greased the slope. It didn't help that, until recently, the popularity of an app on the App Store was based solely on the number of downloads it received, which encouraged developers to sell cheaply in exchange for visibility.

So now this is what we've got: Cheap apps -- many woefully undervalued -- and rapidly descending sales curves that require developers to put on sales to retain visibility, all selling to an increasingly fickle and entitled market who have long since come to snub their noses at what should be reasonable pricing.

Anyone creating and selling a product has to roll with the market, and this is the market we've got. Developers have to play the game or lose, so as the saying goes, don't hate the playa, hate the game.

13. jacksoncombs

who is?

14. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    The game is obviously worth $10 to you otherwise you wouldn't have spent it in the first place. Yes it's annoying, but you obviously feel you'll get $10 worth of fun.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #35 backtothis, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
    Um I have 467 paid apps now, quit crying.
    It's your choice to buy those damn games.

P.S. That fletch guy needs to stop talking and it was quite humorous to agree with a joke ridiculing himself.

16. jacksoncombs

dude, if ur not gonna b helpful then stop trollin around here going "oo i hav 467 games on my phone hehe" just shut up and leave man

P.S. stop gloating!

17. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    You are trolling more than he is. This is a hilarious and pointless thread

18. g_mann

g_mann Active Member

May 16, 2010
    How do you get them to all show up on your iPhone/ iPod? I got all my pages fill and when I get a new app, I have to delete something in order to see it

19. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Jackson are you by any chance related to Kijib?

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    You're the definition of a 'troll' you idiot. Go cry somewhere elsewhere Jesus christ. By stating I had so many apps, I was trying to say imagine how much it happens to us 'veteran' AppStore customers. Be helpful? What, you want me to email apple support and cry to them for you?

@g_mann: i only have 50 or so on my itouch since it's 8gb, meaning it only has 7gb external memory. Imagine my pain of choosing what games to keep since I purchase constantly. Girlfriends getting me a 32gb the second the 4g comes out though!..just a few more months ahh. Anyways, you can only have 11 pages of apps notwithstanding your memory.