Are paid games really doomed?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by FlowStudioGames, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    My guess is you're aquiring most (80%) of your users through cross promotion? I'm super curious to know how many new users to your network you get, and what channels they come through.

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Our strategy/priority on acquiring users into a game is, in order,

- platform featuring
    - in-app cross promotion
    - affiliated devs/pubs cross promotion
    - social channel promotion
    - organic installs

3. Stencilsmith_Dev

Stencilsmith_Dev Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 6, 2016
    Developer
    In his book, Amir Rajan, developer of "A Dark Room", "A Noble Circle" talks about the get rich slowly method of having several premium games that are very much targeted to small subsets of gamers and slowly growing your stable of well crafted games that get a handful of downloads each per day. The hope is that each grow organically and maybe even self-cross promote. If you'd care to weigh in, I'd be interested to hear your stance on that theory in terms of being a solo/premium only dev.

4. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    This is true in a few genres such as hardcore historical military strategy games, point and click adventure games, etc which have passionate fanbases that recognize and are prepared to pay for quality but are often under served.

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Ah yes of course, the center square of featuring would outweigh cross promoting. Thanks for sharing!

6. Stencilsmith_Dev

Stencilsmith_Dev Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 6, 2016
    Developer
    thanks for weighing in, it's nice to hear any level of consensus amongst those who've been around.