Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Hey echo. Shut up and listen to THE man. He has researched it all already. If he says iDevices and Macs are crap and windows tabs are better, then they ARE better. Got it? Now get outta here.

2. Badtz

Badtz Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    #202 Badtz, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    Protip: Make a Windows 8 or an "iPad is wasteful" thread and post your opinions/speculations there instead of further derailing this thread?

You have been regurgitating your dislike for Apple and iPads for at least a dozen pages now. We get it. But it just seems like you're troll-baiting now.

Again, you should make a new thread instead of continuing to derail (which you are) this one.

Edit: Or better yet, make a Windows vs Apple vs Android thread.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yessir. I'll take my inferior device and go shut up in the corner.

Oh, Goofy, no hard feelings - I did pick and choose which of your posts to reply to. I don't care about the whole debate in general. To each their own, and all that.

4. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I'm with everyone groaning about the rise of IAP's... I love my iPad/iPhone gaming, but I'm tired of being handed games that require so much extra money to see the full amount of content. If companies can't be profitable off the .99c method, then I'd prefer it if the .99c game vanished completely and everyone charged the same way Chair does for Infinity Blade, or Square for Final Fantasy Tactics. Make me pay up front... Don't dangle it in front of my eyes and piss me off.

I'll stick with my iPad 1 and wait to see how things go. Right now those Win8 tablets are looking pretty desirable. I'd love to have one just to run emulators and Office on.

5. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    I have to agree, the new interface for Xbox is the worst I've ever seen. What were They thinking? I figutred this comment was no more off topic than most of what's in here....so....;)

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, when I first started replying, I thought this was called are you getting an iPad 3? IMO, the title opened up the door for debate.

I actually am planning on starting up a new thread. I actually came in here to bow out, but I ended up replying to some people's posts.

No hard feelings here either. You're still an awesome forum member. We just had this minor dogfight in the lounge.

7. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    #207 DistantJ, Feb 24, 2012
    I already have a Windows 7 laptop, and an iMac, an iPhone and an Android Tablet. I don't know why I'd want something which is both all and none of the above. It's like these tablets which people dock into a keyboard and add a mouse, when they already have computers and laptops... What's the point??

There's a strange stigma with tablet sceptics. They're either big phones or small PCs to a lot of non-users, but they're neither, they're somewhere inbetween. Google get it, which is why they made Honeycomb.

There are already Windows 7 tablets, and they're a nightmare because of the touch screen. A Win 8 tablet, well the Windows 8-exclusive stuff is just another tablet OS, I can't see any advantages it has over Android Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich, and the Win 7 stuff is only worth using on a PC. If I used one I'd only use Win 7 on the computer, and only the Win 8 features on a tablet, so why not just use separate OS'? I think that by trying to cater for all systems they also limit it on everything. The tablet stuff is awkward on a PC and the PC stuff is awkward on a tablet. I think they've ruined PCs with Win 8... Imagine if Apple's next load of Macs ran on an up-ported iOS, with a limited version of OSX hidden in an app somewhere... They'd lose me as a customer for sure.

I'm not saying it's gonna suck, I'll likely get one, but it's not going to be some kind of computer/tablet revolution like you seem to think it is. It'd be like a new cola company trying to take over Coke and Pepsi. It's established and has been for a long time already, and it's just not going to happen.

I also don't understand why you're directing us to comments instead of making your own arguments - I've looked all over the net at every Windows 8 example I can find and all I can see are up-voted negative comments and a lot of 'Bill Gates invented the [very awkward and useless] tablet PC 10 years ago and now everybody loves Steve Jobs, I don't want to live in this world anymore' idiocy.

For an OS called 'Windows', they've done away with the actual WINDOWS, which was what made it good. I don't want to have to switch my full PC screen to Twitter just to post a tweet just because windows don't work as well on a tablet. Sure, I could switch to Windows 7 mode, but in that case, I might as well just stick with my Windows 7 laptop. I hated Windows Vista and I'm getting the same feeling about 8 as I did about Vista beforehand. Glad that Apple are sticking with OSX.

I do know that when I upgraded my Xbox 360 to the Win8-inspired interface, it became much more of a chore to actually load a game I've downloaded, or go to what I want, when before it was right there in front of me. The tablet interface seems like a more dull and less versatile version of Android Honeycomb and the PC interface is, well, Windows 7. What exactly is the advantage of being able to switch to a version of an OS which wasn't designed to work on your device?

8. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #208 GoofyJmaster., Feb 24, 2012
    @DistanJ I posted the articles and suggested reading the comments because they better articulate the underpinnings. That's why! plus, you're obviously not reading a lot of the comments or are checking out fanboy specific sites. Most comments I read don't mention Gates or Jobs. They're also good for reference and to get a better idea.

I've already expressed my problems with Apple and why I personally think I'll like the new Windows devices. I've also said why I like the Win7 phones more than iOS.

Like I've said time will tell. From every presentation I've seen Win7 works like it should. Are there some charms? Yes, but I like them.

Your Twitter thing doesn't make any sense based off of the videos for Windows 8 I've seen. Twitter is integrated into the OS. Also, on the Win7 side it functions like a regular desktop. You can also aero snap.

Why switch? I've stated that as well. I can dock it for a full desktop experience. When I want to take it for extended travel it's lighter than a laptop but has all he functionality. Plus, I'll get the cool tablet factor as a bonus. And I think Metro is a way better touch interface than iOS--only time will tell. I'm also getting pulled to Windows phones for the streamlined interface. It also seems like it's a buttery smooth experience. A 4.3" screen on the go is ideal for me. Not only that but we'll see more unification in the Apollo update for windows phones. Plus, I'll get all my ports/slots back.

**I have Android and like Android. Please don't get me started on what's bad. The only reason I was considering sticking with Android this year was because I like the OS/UI better--only for Google/Nexus phones, not the BS overlays. I also NEVER considered buying an Android Tablet. You're right, I'd rather get an iPad or stick with my laptop.
    Plus, I'd still have an iPod for gaming if I got an Android. Honestly, thanks to this thread, I'm thinking about fully switching to Windows games if the store increases this year.

9. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Damn stupid apple why cant you release the iPad 3 already. It's getting harder and harder to resist getting the MacBook instead of iPad 3. Not that I need the MacBook but coz iPad is right now the only computer/tablet I have. I have to literally fight with my 6yr old to get my hands on it. -_-

/rant

10. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    haha but a macbook is soooo much more expensive :(
    anyways il be ofcource getting one on first day. Il be standing first in line like other years :)

11. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Yeah. MacBook is expensive but it's worth every cent for me coz I can't stand windows anymore. Been a mac user for last 6 years. Windows 8 does interest me but it's not out yet and even after its out, I won't be switching blindly unless I've used it enough and deemed it atleast half as good as OS X. So for now it's either a mac or no computer for me. iPad is cheaper, lighter more portable and a hell lot more fun than MacBook with all these apps.

Good for you guys in US. I'll have to wait until it launches here or I find someone coming back from US to pick one for me. Which makes the wait even longer for me ><

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #212 GoofyJmaster., Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    Well, I'll let you know how the consumer preview goes.

For me, it won't be blindly switching, well, at least not IMO. I'll still have my Win7 laptop when I purchase 'whatever tablet PC" I get. I'll also have the consumer preview under ma belt. Plus, I'll instabuy because the tablet PCs will run Win7 along with Win8. I also have strong faith in Microsoft's support and optimization.

I'm just tired of apps (especially bad ones) and shoddy browsing. I want a streamlined and intuitive experience for mobile use. I put Windows phones and tablets off in the past, but I'm going for it this year. As soon as the Apollo phones hit the wild, I'll officially be a Windows phone user. And as soon as Win8 tablet PCs are released, I'll be a proud owner of one. I'll probably end up getting an iPod 5--if we see one--for gaming purposes.

13. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #213 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    Thanks for the offer and no offence but no review from anyone is going to make me buy a win 8 computer until I personally give it a try. You already like win 7 which I absolutely dislike (personal preference) so I'm not sure what good will that do for me. I liked the win 7 phone when I gave it a try (a lot better than any android phone I've got my hands on) but that was just a few minutes hands on and while it was cool, it didn't blow me away. Given a choice I'll still get an phone over it but then I dont think iPhone or any other similarly priced phones are worth it. A dumb phone with an iPod touch is my preference.

I'll give win 8 a try for sure. Definitely if I get a MacBook or iMac later this year. If not then I'll have to borrow my brothers laptop for a couple of days. Though I seriously doubt it'll change my opinion. Still can't dismiss it before its atleast available for the public.

14. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #214 GoofyJmaster., Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    None taken! :)

I completely understand you wanting to test it out yourself. I was--and still will--going to let you know how it went for me. Yes, it would be subjective, but I'd try and be as objective as possible. I mean I'm skeptical of some things too, but I'm ridiculously tired of iOS and Android.

I actually have a touchscreen laptop--impulse buy--so I'll be testing it out on that a lot. The only bad thing is that the screen is resistive and not capacitive. It works fairly well though.

Mac vs. PC is something different. There will always be a line drawn in the sand. I never said Macs weren't capable, I just said they were overpriced. But, obviously, that's my opinion. But for tablets and phones, I think it's a different story.

Yeah, there's nothing overly impressive about Windows phones. What I like about them is that they seem to be ridiculously optimized. All the reports show that they're the smoothest and most fluid phones. It's also a testament to the optimization when they seem to be on par with dual core phones. WP7s are only single core. I also like the simplicity and intuitiveness of the UI. Live tiles definitely don't hurt either.

TBH, I actually was considering a dumb phone and an iPod, but that thought is a very, very distant memory.

Well, my thing is that I'll have a portable tablet that also functions as a full blown PC. There's no need to buy both a PC/laptop and a separate tablet.

So, in theory, I'd be able to run a full Photoshop on the desktop side and still multitask normally on either side. There's also speculation that we'll see active digitizers for Windows 8 tablets and the Microsoft has implemented "new" touchscreen technology to make smaller (and closer) selections easier to tap more precisely. Plus, if you watch the Win8 dev preview videos, you'll see how much more fluid everything is on Win 8. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Msoft/Abobe ups the ante with much better MetroAbobe apps.

They're also building a base code for all Win 8 devices. This means it'll be super easy for devs to import. There's already been some reports of this being true. I'm not a dev, so I don't officially know. I'm just hoping we see fair prices for universality and not what Msoft currently has set up for XBLA titles.

*I also think that Win devices, especially tablet PCs, will be supported a lot longer than Apple's mobile devices. Actually I stand pretty firm in this belief. I also like that I can get SD card slots and USB ports on my Win devices. This is a reason that a lot of ppl chose Android. I've also been looking into SkyDrive vs iClous, and I believe Msoft wins there too. We'll see.

Lastly, Zune is also nicer/better than iTunes, and if you're a big music person it's cheaper. However, if you're an Android person, you possibly steal a lot of it. You won't catch me stealing music on Android though. Not with all the viruses and hacking running amuck.

------------

Who knows, maybe the other OSes will surprise us. I doubt it though.

#speculation and time to go back to bed

Edit
    It seems as if ppl aren't understanding that Win7 will be in Win8. From my understanding it'll be fully functional on Intel tablet PCs and run legacy apps. ARM is still somewhat unclear.

All you have to do is buy a monitor if you want a bigger screen. Plus, you can just hook the devices up to the TV. I do this with my current laptop all the time.

15. champagneshowers

champagneshowers New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Student
    Philippines
    Sure, I'd get one. Why not :) If it has some features or specs that are better than the iPad 2, then it'll be worth the purchase.

16. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

@GoofyJmaster:

You could get a phone like Lumia 710 fairly cheaply (not sure how much it is elsewhere, but should be in the $50 range), so not much reason to get a "dumb" phone. And there's also the upcoming Lumia 900...

About Windows 7 on Windows 8, I suppose you're talking about the standard UI you'll see when you're not in the Metro UI? Personally I like Metro, but I suppose there are those who are upset about it replacing the usual Start menu, and also because it'll mean having 2 very distinct UIs on the same platform.

17. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #217 bigrand1, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Ha, Ha! I'm the same way! Can't be stopped! Gotta upgrade like you and sell the old like that as well! And I am more interested in the new features that could come out. For me, the 4S wasn't enough of an upgrade for me to bite on, for the first time in memory. One of the peeves I have and would love to see upgraded is the amount of space on it. 64GB is not enough now that apps have gotten so big. Would love to double it and have a longer-lasting battery as well. I am NOT a fan of the Cloud and the 'renting' of space that they're doing now, and I don't see Apple using memory cards in the near-future. Just give me more out-of-the-box, with that option, and I'm willing to throw more money down that way! I'd be happy with that alone, honestly!

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Heh-Heh! Ask Eli what he thinks about the Vita!

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #219 GoofyJmaster., Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    Oh, I'm definitely not getting a "dumb" phone. That was a thought that occurred when I lost my original iPhone (the 3Gs). I'm waiting for the Apollo update, so I can get a "true" Windows 8 phone. I would go ahead and get a WP7 but my contract isn't even up until July. So, I might as well wait.

The Samsung 7 Slate (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE700T1A-A03US-11-6-Inch-Slate-128/dp/B005OUQ9WO) is already available for purchase. It has capacitive screen with 10 points of touch which is the same as the iPad. It also has a Wacom digitizer. There's actually quite a few videos on Youtube showing it in action. I'm pretty sure it has 500 points of pressure. The tablet also seems to run things like Photoshop perfectly and multitask as well. All ppl are waiting for is the Win8 update which will increase performance. We'll also see more Win 8 tablets later this fall.

It also seems as if it will run games like SWOTR and Skyrim at low settings. I'm pretty sure AutoCAD will work on it as well, but I'm pretty sure something like the Lenovo Yoga would be a better choice for CAD users and the more "hardcore" PC gamer.

Here's the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2R9y9ZvkA

Apple is going to only appeal to loyal "super consumers" this year if you ask me. Win8 tablet PCs are matching the prices of the Macbook Air and 13" Pro, but are offering more. They also offer way way more than the iPad. 2 iPads = 1 tablet PC or 1 $800 iPad is only a few hundred bucks less.

Also, keep in mind that we will see cheaper ARM based Win8 tablets too.

20. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I got an iPad 1, didn't get 2 and won't be getting 3. The reason is the iPad isn't exactly something I use everyday. Actually I don't think anyone uses their iPad like this but the only thing I use it for right now is a sheet music displayer that I prop on my piano when I'm too lazy to print sheets off the web, lol. If it's only used at home then I got my computer, what's the point of getting another iPad where the only upgrade is better graphics? I'd rather save the money and get an iPhone 4S, since that's used everyday (more like every minute), and is more or less a "fashion icon".