Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #221 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    Agreed. I'll be surprised if they even manage to sell more than 500 iPads this year (even those 500 will be either apple shills or people with no mind of their own). MS already won this tablet war with win 8. No one in their right mind will be getting an iPad considering win 8 is going to show up sometime later this year, which might be able to run desktop apps, and might cost less/equal/more than an iPad 3. Also they all know for sure that performance of these tablets might be better than the iPad too. I don't think anyone is going to buy an iPad/android tablet now that they know win 8 tabs might be better than iPad 3. I mean, when has Microsoft ever gone wrong with a new product? Never!!!

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #222 GoofyJmaster., Feb 27, 2012
    The Samsung Slate 7 is already available. It was built with Windows 8 in mind. All people are waiting for is the Windows 8 update, which is expected to come by August.

So there's proof of a tablet that can easily run legacy apps with multitouch and a digitizer. It's just using Win7 right now. There are ppl already reporting that the dev preview works amazingly on the more powerful tablet PCs. There's even videos on YouTube. Windows 8, the official version, will only make the experience better.

If people want to have to upgrade a lesser device every year or two be my guest.

Also, did you know that Msoft just got done with antitrust crap? They pretty much had to watch the mobile market zoom pass them. And Win7 after Mango still seems to be a winner.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm fairly certain Windows 8 tablets will go the way of the Android.

Fragmented to oblivion. The iPad has uniformity on its side. That's what Android got wrong, and what Microsoft looks to be heading towards.

4. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #224 GoofyJmaster., Feb 27, 2012
    What!? This makes no sense!

As far as everyone can tell, these will be treated just like any other laptop, ultrabook, or desktop computer. And why wouldn't they? They're running an actual OS that's found in computers and are spec'd the same as most laptops in the price range. Apple is fragmenting their ecosystem more than Microsoft.

Also, Microsoft's whole plan is to unify. They've made a base code that will allow developers to easily make things universal on anything running Windows 8. People who have Win7 phones and the dev preview have already confirmed this. They're also planning on putting a form of Win8 into the next generation of Xbox.

And it's Microsoft! They still support a lot of old crap.

5. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    I won't pay for that tablet even if I didn't dislike windows. Obviously you have no idea why the iPad has proven so successful. No, mindless clueless iSheep willing to pay for whatever apple puts on the shelves isn't the reason. If this sammy laptop is what win tablets be like once win 8 is out, I can tell you it's not going to be able to stand against android tabs, let alone iPad. Why? It's a lot bigger. It's a lot heavier. It's going to run a lot hotter. Legacy apps wont work (anywhere close to usable) without the digitiser, which unless you tie up to the tablet somehow, you're going to lose more often than you can imagine. And the battery life, I don't even know what to say about it. Abysmal will be the right word I think. And it costs twice as much as the ipad. There is a reason why the original windows tablets failed for almost a decade before iPad confirmed that there actually is a tablet market to be had. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like much has changed here. People didn't think about practicality. They just went with theory, like you've been doing (considering you haven't had one in our hand yet). A touchscreen tablet with pen input and full desktop OS, what could go wrong? Turns out, every single thing.

Jus answer this. Why would anyone get this tablet over a laptop? It's main pro is supposedly that it can run same apps you can on a laptop with a deskop OS instead of a trimmed down mobile OS. So can it run those apps better than the said laptop? Okay, atleast cheaper then? Nope and nope. It's not a consumer device. At best, it's for graphics designers or other such professionals who'd denefit from a digitizer compared to a mouse, which afaik, are the same group of people who were interested in previous windows tablets... And we all know how big that market is. Thanks t the iPad, this time around windows tabs will be accepted a lil better than its previous attempts. But if this sammy tab is anything to go by, I dont see how this will affect a single iPad sale, let alone grab a chunk if it's market.

Fixed it for you.

[quot]Also, did you know that Msoft just got done with antitrust crap? They pretty much had to watch the mobile market zoom pass them. And Win7 after Mango still seems to be a winner.[/QUOTE]
    No, I actually don't. Google didn't help either. Link for the said antitrust problem which forced Microsoft to be a spectator in the mobile race?

6. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Heres what it means - "An app from iPad AppStore works on the iPad."
    At worst, you need to check if it works on iPad 1/2/3/whatever u have. Instead of it requiring X gb of ram, minimum X processor cores, X MHz processor speed, X gpu etc. Whats there not to understand? Windows tabs will be competing with iPad. Not their own laptops.

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #227 GoofyJmaster., Feb 27, 2012
    @imnosuperman It will be short and sweet

Well, first off, we will see ARM tablets, which will be directly competing with lower end models. Edit: Oh yeah! Pricing! This is Windows we're talking about, right? If there are sales and deals then this really has become a whole new world. There's actually already been deals at Microsoft stores--really good ones to be exact.

Secondly, the specifications for these devices are the same as most in their price range. So, not only do ppl get a fully functioning device, but they get a capable tablet as well.

The Samsung Slate doesn't seem to be that much heavier than the iPad. It's been out since September and there hasn't been any complaints about over heating. people have already reported that the samsung slate can run legacy apps fine. It might not be able to run something like Autocad very well, but we'll be seeing Ultrabooks with touchscreens released this year as well. These will have higher graphics cards and processors. The weight od the Lenovo Yoga pretty much matches the Macbook Air.

Also, battery life seems to an average of 5 hours on the Intel based tablets with moderate to heavy usage. There also seems to be a Power saving mode, like on most Windows computers, that will possibly push it up to the advertised 7. There's been reports of it lasting quite a while with light usage.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoft/2015029604_microsoft12.html

I can actually post more if you want me to. I just liked this article. It's the conclusion I've come to after reading about all the antitrust stuff.

There actually looking to be getting hit with another one if Windows Defender affects other anti-virus.

Edit
    Not really sure what you meant ny legacy apps not working without the digitizer!? I can actually post proof of how Msoft built Win8 around touch input--in both Win7 and Win 8 mode.

I'm a power user, but i don't play a ton of PC games or use Cad programming. Do you want me to explain to you how the Win 8 tablets can replace my laptop? Also, I know people in the Construction Management mahor that use similar spec'd devices to run AutoCAD, so...
    Plus, the Samsung 7 slate is only the beginning. There's actually supposed to be another Slate released after Windows 8.

No, I don't get it for the reasons I explained in my earlier post. He said that they'll be fragmenting their ecosystem. How?

Everything will run windows 8. Msoft is the same company that said they are only putting dual cores in their phones to compete spec wise because they feel the single core can still be optimized. I bet you WP7s will be nicely supported quite a while after WP8s release.

Just explain to me how Msoft is fragmenting their ecosystem!?!

***Tried to make it short and sweet

------------------------------------------

Trust me I have more videos. This is actually an older one and doesn't show off some of the cooler features. However, it's the most in depth preview I've seen so far.

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    @Goofy - you don't like the iPad; you have said "this is the last I will say on the matter" countless times and then post again -- again I say -- are you arguing just to argue / troll at this point?

Find a Win 8 forum and rave there, it will be better for your soul to post happy agreeable posts than fight all the time.

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I did say that, but I ended up replying to posts.

Whenever, I get done organizing everything and make a windows 8 thread, I could care less if ppl spout iPad crap in it.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'll be holding off on the iPad 3 and waiting for the following generation since I have an iPad 2 now. Then again I'll almost certainly be upgrading to the iPhone 5 (from my iPhone 4) next year, so I don't know. Might not be in the budget, so I might be waiting until the iPad 5. Sigh.

11. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well the slate 7 example is a pretty bad one because it shows how things should not be done.. i mean a mobile tablet with a battery life with less than 4 hours?

this renders it completely useless for a mobile device since you go from electricity plug to the next to keep the thing going..

thats with win7 yes.. but dektop applications never cared about energy consumption.. they squeeze every little drop out of the battery in no time..
    especially if you start doing really taxing work.

again there never will be a jack of all trades.. if thoose future products may play out like people want them now i highly doubt that.. because metro & stuff is not important.. its the applications that need to implement proper touch/stylus inputs.. and i don't see that coming anytime soon.. no matter if its running win8 or win9.. such adaptions are always very slow and heavily dependant on market share of such devices.. which are pretty much a niche.

and i doubt that will change with win8.. because running win8 does not mean a sold touch based device.. since the same stuff will still land mostly on desktop/laptops with "classic" inferfaces.

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, I'm hearing the average is 5 hours for moderate to heavy usage. I'm also hearing people can get better battery length by switching to power saving mode and putting the tablet to sleep. Most casual users won't use it the same way early adopters are and will probably net greater battery life if they decide on an Intel based tablet. Also, the 5 hour mark is the same or better than a lot of laptops, so...

Also, if you're doing work in on the dock, it functions as a normal desktop/laptop with a mouse and keyboard. Also, the new windows 8 update is there to make using a touchscreen easier with both the digitizer and the new fuzzy hit targeting. it doesn't look like anyone is having a problem interacting with legacy apps or the smaller text in the Win7 mode.

And if apps also get updated, that just makes--what seems to be--a good experience even better.

13. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    This still going huh?

Goofy, I am glad you're looking forward to Windows tablets, clearly they are a device which can do what you need it to. However I can't help but think that talk of 'Windows 8 will destroy iPad, iPad is useless' in not so many words on Touch Arcade is a lot like wearing a meat-suit and walking into a lion cage.

It's silly, the mobile market is mirroring the games console market, the way people pick one side to back up and become angry with everybody else. With phones it even becomes almost political, with the different 'belief systems' for mobile devices (whether they should be open like Android or closed like iPhone etc.) and such.

I will say your talk about Windows 8 taking over because it'll be more useful is a little unfounded, because by this logic, Android should completely ape iPhone (there are more Android phones around, but fewer people are actually using good Android phones and making use of Android itself).

I'm just hoping these people don't scare you away from Apple products with their fanboy anger. I can see they're frustrating you more and more and it's going around in circles. A forum which is Apple-centric, full of Apple fans, is probably the wrong place to try to win this argument, if you see what I mean.

But that being said, you have to look at fanboyism as something which has to have come from somewhere. People don't just buy a Dyson fan and choose to only ever use Dyson's range of products from then on, and actively defend/protect Dyson from criticism. People become fanboys for Apple, Nintendo etc. because they provide them with consistently great products repeatedly and make their life better/easier with them repeatedly, to the point that they will forgive their failures and defend their decisions because they come to trust them. It can then breed a strange sort of childish playground competitiveness and some people get to the point of being completely closed off to any alternative option, brainwashed almost, but people wouldn't be militant Apple fans unless Apple had given them something to be militant about.

My iMac changed the way I work, sped things up tenfold, my iPhone is the best gadget I've ever had and no matter what Android device I try they just haven't been able to measure up to it's efficiency, and my iPad was a great product (I just preferred the form factor and OS on my Samsung tablet), so yeah, I'm going to 'defend' Apple where required, since fans of 'open' operating systems seem to have a strange sort of vendetta against them, and I mean you do get the opposite too, you get people who will say 'iPad is stupid and pointless!' but the moment the same product appears without the Apple branding they're all over it, much like the console gamers with their 'Stupid Nintendo, motion control is a stupid fad....... *months later* PLAYSTATION MOVE IS AWESOME!' mentality.

So what I'm trying to say is, you're not going to convince people that one type of tablet is better than another, especially one which is only theoretical right now, and the market isn't going to change over functionality.

On topic - am I going to get an iPad 3? Most likely. I love my Galaxy Tab for its form factor, weight and size, but the lack of iTunes app store is a huge void. People who say 'I moved to Android because iPhone/iPad can't do anything' are full of crap because there's way, way more to do on an iDevice, just there's more to customise and fiddle with on an Android, which most people aren't that interested in. My Galaxy Tab is still using the default wallpaper, widget layout etc., in the time my Android-fanboy neighbour spends fiddling with the settings and rooting and all that on his devices, I'm downloading more apps and more things to do on my iDevices, so yeah, I'll probably get an iPad 3, but not at launch.

14. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #234 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 27, 2012
    Well thanks for keeping it short, or atleast trying to, but in the process you forgot to answer the only question I asked. Why a tablet instead of a laptop?

A tab using the same specs as the laptop is not going to be cheaper than the laptop itself. All you save is a keyboard and a trackpad but then you have to add a digitizer with the tab. So I dont see how they can make it cheaper than a similarly spec'd laptop. Then to use it as well as the laptop, you'll need to find the keyboard and mouse. Unlike the laptop, now you won't even have access to keyboard while on the move. And if plan to keep a keyboard dock with you, then why not a laptop? So other than a few people who can benefit from a digitizer, who else is going to be better off with a tab instead of a laptop? Is that what you meant by people choosing inferior products? Are you counting on people to buy it coz you think since iPad is an inferior product and it still sells, then why won't people buy another inferior product (in comparison to similarly, or most probably cheaper, priced laptops) this time?

About the weight, my iPad 1 at 680 something grams is a little heavier than what I'd prefer for a tablet. At 900+ grams, this sammy tab is not going to bed with me. The best weight for an iPad like tablet will be somewhere around 500. Not too heavy and not too light either.

About the battery, it died after 3 and a half hours of video playback. That's 1/3rd of iPad. The windows tabs are still making the same mistakes which made them a disaster for a decade and yet you for some reason still think it can out sell iPad.

About heating, lololollollolololollol. Just found out this sammy tab has a fan. A freaking fan in a god damn tablet? Roflmfao. They just dont get it I guess.

Oops. Looks like you posted the wrong link. It might just be my reading abilities but I don't see anything in there which explain win 7 phone's abysmal performance. How exactly is this related?

Win 7 mobile will probably fare better now but only coz of Nokia tie-up and that's the only thing which might save win phones. Or maybe kill Nokia altogether. One or the other.

Yes. That's what I asked. Why exactly will you prefer this over the laptop? What is it that this tab can do but the laptop can't at the same price point? Unless of course you like inferior products. In which case lemme recommend an iPad for you. It's the best "inferior" product out there.

Arm vs x86. And even then, every manufacturer will have their own specs. You buy a new iPad and you kow all the apps in the incredible app store will work on it. You buy a tab and not only you have to worry about specs like you do in the PC/Mac world, but even worse coz now you have arm thrown in the mix too.

So Acc to you, win tabs priced similarly to iPad will be the arm ones. Which of course won't be able to perform anywhere close to x86 tabs but will have better battery life, lighter weight and smaller size. Even if we forget the legacy apps, and assume all new apps will be universal, arm tabs won't be able to run them anywhere as well as x86 ones. That's fragmentation. Apple solution is a simple one. You get a new iPad, you run all those apps.

That's exactly what these tabs will end up doing. Sleeping coz the battery ran out in first four hours and all they did was watch a movie.

I'll complete your sentence. "So... Why not get the laptop only?"

And laptops these days have much more battery life than the 3.5 hours which this sammy pulled.

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I'll just listen to DistantJ and concede because IMNS's last post was absolutely ignorant and 'all things fanboy'. I'm not even going to bother countering everything that was said. Geez, just call me a Windows loser. I'll start up my own thread later this week or once I get my hands on the consumer preview.

*On a side note: who ever said that Win7 phones were bad? That wasn't the reason I posted the article.

16. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #236 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 27, 2012
    All I asked were legit questions which you comfortably ignored in your previous post. Feel free to ignore them again if you want. But calling me a fanboy when I've said nothing against win 8 (coz its not out yet) exceot my general preference of Mac OS versus windows, while you claiming it'll beat iPad (especially when it's it out yet), I think you need to go through the meaning of fanboy once again.

You diss the iPad without even owning one and claim win will beat iPad, again, without even owning this one. I'm using an iPad for over a year and using it as my only computer for last two months. I'm not dissing win tabs. You are the one who gave me sammy tab as an example and I just told you what I thought was wrong with it. Now dn get pissed when it turned out to be crap. Not my fault.

I never asked you to convert to macs. I never said your choice of OS is wrong or stupid. You on the other hand claimed all the iPad owners to be apple fanboys, mindless sheep who wasted their money. I paid for my iPad. With my own money. And I love it. Who the hell ar you to tell me I don't know how to spend my hard earned cash? That too without even owning an iPad? Check back my posts. That's been my only problem with you. Sure you prefer windows over OSX, nothing wrong there. Windows doesn't have this huge a marketshare just coz of MS fanboys. And neither does apple. MS had a better strategy for an OS back then and apple has a better strategy for tablets today. For me a windows computer is money down the drain. But did I claim windows buyers were wasting money?

Who's the frigging fanboy in this convo now?

Edit.
    I'm still not sure why u posted that article. Didnt you see me asking for a little clarification there?

Here's where you claimed that win 7 phones failure (in comparison to ios and android I mean) had something to do with the anti trust crap.

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #237 GoofyJmaster., Feb 27, 2012
    I already explained how tablets can replace laptops in so many words. What I didn't say was how it will replace it for me. I did ask if that's what you wanted in my last post to you.

The reason I've conceded is because of your last post. It was ridiculous IMO.

Also, I don't need to own an iPad when I've extensively used one and deem it unfit. Yes, it's a neat consumption device. I never denied that. I even said I was tempted at one point.

I'm not a fanboy, I'm practical and like to consider myself efficient. At least when I do strenuous work. I've used all platforms and they all have their flaws. Android is terrible and Apple is an overpriced toy company IMHO.

On another side note: I still don't understand how the Slate turned out to be crap. None of the Apple products I've used live up to their advertised battery lives. Same with Windows and Android. And the average moderate to hardcore usage time going around for the slate is about 5 hours on a device that ways .6 lbs more and has way more functionality.

Plus, I said you could spend your money on whatever you want. I could care less.

To each his own. You can come find me in the new thread I create later.

This is ridiculous just like you saying the solution is to buy a new iPad to run apps.

Ughh...seriously!? Like I said I concede. Ridiculous!

You're right, it's not fanboyism, it's ridiculousness. It's like having to hear people say that a new app store sucks because it doesn't have 499,000 useless or crappy apps.

Edit: I had to mention my favorite one: This is just like all the people--fanboys and not--that say Macs can't get viruses.

I give up!

18. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #238 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 27, 2012
    You haven't yet. All I asked is at what tasks it'll be better than a similarly priced laptop. All you've said is that it "can" work as good as a laptop once you connect it to a dock. Nowhere have you given me one legit advantage of using a tab instead of a laptop. It sucks asa a tab (battery, size, weight) and It's not much smaller/portable than an ultra book and then it requires additional hardware to work as good as that.

Why? Size, battery life, weight are not legit concerns for a tablet? A tablet with a fan seems like a good idea to you? If by ridiculous you mean legit, then yeah, that post was ridiculous.

Right. You dont need to own an iPad neither do you need to own a windows tablet before making claims that windows tabs will destroy iPad. Do you even realize how ridiculous you sound right now?

And yet you think that making such claims based simply on theory is fine. Where did the practical side of you disappear when you made those claims?

Yep. That's definitely not an ignorant fanboy. :rolleyes:

In that case, you haven't used apple products much. Apple has been known to be extremely conservative about battery stats. iPad 2 lasted more than 10 hours for the same video loop test in which the sammy tab died before 4 hours.
    iPad itself is on the extreme high end when it comes to size and weight. Most people (like distantJ and myself included) would prefer something just a little bit smaller and lighter. Not the other way round. It loses all its appeal once it goes that big/heavy. If you had used iPad extensively like you claimed, you'd know this much.

You said waste. Not spend. Big difference. One is respecting and recognising others personal prefrences and their is insulting their ability to decide what's worth their own money.

I have my opinion and this is your reply. That it's ridiculous. Remind me who was the supposed ignorant fanboy in this thread again?

I only quoted you. Glad you realised how ridiculous it was to think the antitrust lawsuits were the reason why Microsoft ended up being a spectator instead of a competitor in the mobile race (so far atleast).

Are you even sure you're reading what I posted? :confused:

You better until you can find your reading glasses again (I really hope that's the reason behind your replies today instead of your lack of comprehension skills or worse, common sense).

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    @IMNS

Another ridiculous post, huh?

I'm not going to argue/counter you because what you've said is ridiculous. Like I said, I'll be a Windows loser.

20. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Welp, guess you don't have any idea about what you were talking then.