Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    No, I'm done arguing because it's like arguing with you because it's like dealing with my little sister.

2. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Macs can get viruses. But they usually don't.

And I have to agree that a tablet with 5 hours of battery life and a fan is absolutely hilarious... It'd be like having a smartphone with an aerial. Just lop the freakin' keyboard off of a laptop already XD

I mean iOS and Android are designed entirely around working on systems which don't need fans to cool down hot CPUs and batteries which last etc., they're operating systems designed around working on a handheld device. If anything I think MS should have continued to expand the (frankly excellent) Windows 7 for Win8 and upscaled Windows Phone 7 for tablets. Instead Win8 isn't optimised for either, it's a big compromise.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Personal insults? That's how you prove that win 8 tablets will destroy iPad?

4. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    @GoofyJ Word of advice: stop replying, you're getting trolled

Haha

5. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Ahahhahaha. Thanks distantJ for pointing out the virus comment. I somehow missed that one.

@ Goofy, now you've proved you seriously have no idea what you were talking about.

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #246 GoofyJmaster., Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    Yeah, I know! I just couldn't help myself. Obviously a moderator of TA and a developer are pro Apple.

Seriously, they're complaining about a fan? Haha! No one else who's bought the tablet has complained. It's there to deal with tablet if you really start hardcore using it ("real" heavy usage). iPad/XOOM/etc. are inefficient mobile OSes mostly made around consumerism.

I love the battery complaints. You can do around 5 hours of real work on a tablet PC. I can do meaningless stuff on an iPad and bring in the same amount of time or quicker. iPhone and iPod's battery life...come on. It's prolly one of the biggest complaints you find online and something I've mentioned on the forum before along with others. And I've seen Macbooks have to be charged before there advertised 7 hours were up.

----------------------------------

@IMNS What!? There are a ton of people who think that Macs can't get viruses at all. That's why I mentioned it. I was talking about how people are ridiculous and don't know what they're talking about. I bet you don't even know why viruses are created. If you did then you'd know why it would be pointless to to deal with OSX.

7. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #247 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    You assume too much goofy. More than half the mods don't have macs here (and that's assuming the ones I don't know about have macs). And not all devs love apple. And didn't u just say distantJ was fine and I'm the fanboy? Now you've put us both on the same boat? And I'm the ridiculous one, right?

That's how I know you've never used an iPad extensively. You dont have the slightest of the idea what's good about it.

Ahem, how many have been sold so far? Yeah right, you don't know. Is it a million atleast? 100k then? Without a good enough number of people using it regularly for daily use, instead of just wanting to own the latest tech, you won't get complaints for such issues.

But keep adding the fans in win 8 tabs and apple will never have to worry about win 8 tabs!

iPad and xoom aren't OSes but I get what you are trying to say. Unfortunately, you still dn have any idea how much of a disaster this is.

Video is more taxing than real work? And yes, iPhone and iPod battery life are insufficient but they last as long as apple claims (with probably the exception of 4s as I'm not sure if it's battery bug has been fixed yet or not) and so does the MacBooks. I've used one it lasted longer than what it was claimed. It died couple of months ago after five years of almost non stop use.

But you keep forgetting (or ignoring) that we are talking iPad here. My first gen is my only computer right now and I use it more than 8 hours minimum during the day. Never needed to charge it before midnight. So stop spreading crap when you don't know anything.

Enlighten me. I seriously dnt know why virus are created and why it's pointless to create one for mac.

8. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #248 GoofyJmaster., Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    Tell me then! I can watch movies on a 10" screen for 11.9 hours!?

Well, there's no one openly complaining about it on the interweb yet.

Um...they are mobile OSes. If not, what are they then?

Well, I don't know what video loop test you're talking about for the Slate. All I know is that the average battery life is about 5 hours for the slate, which is good for the average person. At least from my observations it is. My quick but iffy answer for the video thing is how the battery management has been set up!

Answered second part below. Also, it's not like Windows PCs don't last that long or longer, so...

I can get my HP Windows laptop through the whole day if I really want to, so big whoop. Other than that with the amount I do on it, it's lucky to last 3 hours without needing to charge. It's also much heavier than the Slate, isn't as portable (though it's been portable enough for me), has a bigger power cord, no capacitive touch screen, and no digitizer.

Again, just like others, I can destroy the iPads batter pretty easily.

Also, you can think of Win8 as a big firmware update. And last I checked firmware updates increase battery performance. And...uh...there's plenty of places on the interweb talking about Win8's overall increase in performance and battery.

After all my research an asking, it comes down to a few simple things. Hackers want to get the "best bang for their buck" and they're already quite familiar with the system. Why? Because they hack computers for financial gains. I can elaborate further if necessary, but you can search yourself...geez!

Windows = 92.1% of the desktop market share
    OSX = 6.4% of the market share

The only other reasons I've come across are personal enjoyment. if this is the case then there are some hackers who've gotten that from exploiting Macs as well.

9. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #249 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 28, 2012
    You can if you want. Or you can do whatever else you like on the ipad without needing to charge it more than once a day. That's cordless computing practically. Charge it overnight and use it all day long. That slate on the other hand, you can't use it unless you keep it plugged in all the time you use it. That's the difference between a 10 hour and a 4 hour battery life. That's the difference between an awesome and a crap tablet.

Coz it's the geeks (no offence, I used to be one not so long ago too) or hobbyists who are getting it. Not even win 8 is out yet. So it's definitely not getting in the hands of consumers. And when a hobbyist gets a product, he knows well in advance about its drawbacks. They are not goin to complain about the slate getting a little hot. They'll just ignore it. We'll see about the heat issues once it's sold in mass quantities (if it does).

Xoom and iPad are tablets. Hardware. Android and iOS are the mobile OS. The software.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/samsung-series-7-slate-pc-review/

Again, difference between 5(which the slate doesn't have though) and 10 is cordless computing all day long. If you underestimate this, then again, you dnt have a clue abou iPads success.

And btw, you dont have a win 8 tablet yet. So it cant be your observation. It's something you've read about. From other peoples observation.

I didn't say they didn't. All I said was that apple is very conservative when talking about battery stats. They said iPad lasts 10 hours. It does. 1000s of web reviews, and my OWN personal observation also confirms it.

Sure you can. I didn't say macs have the best battery life did I?

Don't compare slates to regular laptops. Compare them to ultra books. The slate has the same specs as an ultra book so whatever it can do, so can the ultra books including a smaller power supply. Digitizer again is useful only for graphics artists. For everyone else, the trackpad/mouse does the same job better. So you're left with a capacitive screen with a disadvantage of not having a physical keyboard/trackpad all the time. Touchscreen is no good for win 7 and last I checked, win 8 isn't out yet so we don't know how well it'll work. Assuming it works as good as iPad, legacy apps will still need digitizer to work with. Again, not the best option unless you are working with graphics. Fuzzy hit seems like it'll barely get he job done. Why would I wan the job done barely? Laptop costs the same, weighs the same and have more upgradibility options than a tab. Dont see a reason for slate over laptop yet.

Ahem aren't you forgetting something? You dont have an iPad. So stop making claims you can't back up. What's with all these claims you keep on making about products you haven't used?

Is win 8 out yet? No? Then let's not count speculation and possibilities as facts. As I said, I'm not completely opposed to win 8 and if it turns out anything worthwhile, my next computer might not be a mac. Im not dumb enough to pay more if I can get the same/better stuff for less money. But until it's out in the real world, it's all speculation and rumours.

I love this part. Alright. Now explain why Linux with its <2% market share have viruses? Hackers don't like mac maybe? Okay, then why mac OS 8,9 had 100s of viruses when macs didn't even have this 6.4% market share they enjoy today? Macs should have atleast a couple of viruses then, shouldn't they? Their market share has increased. A lot (if not most) of viruses are made with an aim of stealing personal info, like credit card details etc, then wouldn't mac be a better target with all these rich(er) kids who buy the mac? That too when they are under the illusion that macs can't get viruses? I'll wait for you reply.

Like any other OS, mac OSX can get viruses too but the fact is, it doesn't have any. None. Nil. Nada. Find me one, just one, from last 5 years and we'll talk. In my books, having no viruses more than 5 years is practically as good as virus proof. So while people who believe that macs can't get viruses aren't technically right, they still are correct in assuming they are safe from viruses.

10. ~J~

~J~ Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Software Developer
    London
    100% getting one, but ONLY if it's a retina.

Why?

Practical uses and work;

I spend a lot of time using my pad to RDP to desktop clients, having a higher res screen will hopefully allow me to see a remote desktop AND a keyboard that doesn't interfere.

I also use my pad as a second monitor, again a higher resolution would be perfect.

I watch a lot of movies streamed to it, true 1080 resolution would make it that bit better.

And I'd also need to be able to see how my apps fair on a higher resolution screen.

So yes,practical uses for me, all resting on a near certain retina screen.

11. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Yeah. I'm not getting one either if it there's no retina screen. I'm a fanboy but not that big of a fanboy. I'll settle for MacBook this year and iPad next year if there's no retina this year.

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    OMG! This is my last post because I really, really don't care anymore. They're getting way too long. I'm not paying attention to what you type or what I type anymore. Time will tell because I could care less at this point. I'm wasting too much energy, and this conversation isn't getting anywhere.

Ah! I didn't even notice that I said are instead of have.

Well, I've been reading product reviews and following a specific blog (http://www.jessebandersen.com/).

And you misinterpreted my comment. The average person I see at my college and in my city doesn't need the battery to last more than 5 hours when doing heavy usage. As ppl have reported this can get through a full day if you really want it too just like my laptop.

So because I didn't buy one and don't have a "GoofyJmaster's iPad, I haven't used one? Yeah, because it's not like I don't personally know ppl that have them.

Why? The only difference between it the average laptop I see ppl with is the graphics card and less HD space. Yes, it runs the same graphics card as the Macbook Airs and 13" Pro.

I like my keyboard and trackpad--a lot, but I will transport my tablet PC without a keyboard when I can. I'll use it as a desktop at home. I can also buy a nice keyboard case--on the cheap--if I want that.

They also don't weigh the same!?! the only thing that really comes close are ultrabooks and they still weigh more.

Also, how are you to say who all will be using the digitizer? I guess speculation?

Ultrabooks will have plenty of upgrade options from what I can tell. Also, the Slate is running what most ppl have on their computers if not more.

OMG! You don't get it and I don't have time to explain.

And, by the way, mac has gotten viruses. You should look into the most recent one from 2010.

Lastly, all battery crap aside, the iPad is an iPad. It's not a computer. It's a mobile device. the Slate is a functioning computer, at taclet PC.

**Overall, i rate this post lack luster and non caring because i could care less. You keep defending the iPad, and I'll be waiting for a real tablet PC.

13. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    okay, since you don't have the time, let's just get this one last thing out of the way as this one can be proven without any need of speculation and rumors. Link for the said 2010 virus please?

14. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #254 GoofyJmaster., Feb 28, 2012
    Speculation or rumors? So, people's hands on experiences are rumors. I even posted a blog. Also, it's not a rumor if Microsoft confirmed something. At that point it comes down to them to deliver it. We'll see what's up this Wednesday.

Anyways, http://mac-antivirus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/history-of-macintosh-viruses.html.

After that, all you have to do is search for the virus name in google.

To speed up the process: OSX hellrts

Also, I don't understand why I have to provide links and info. Aren't you capable. Use the interweb!

15. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    I knew what you were talking about every single time but still I make you fetch the links coz its fun to make you work and then prove you wrong.

Just like every other crap you've posted on this thread, this is again baseless. Go read the definition of a virus and a Trojan horse. Like I said, stop posting crap about stuff you don know jack shit about. It doesn't make your other opinions valid. All it does is prove that you are clueless.

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #256 GoofyJmaster., Feb 28, 2012
    Okay! If you say so! I'm glad you're so kewl and intelligente. :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry, I should've have just generalized and said malware.

But in reality, it was classified as a Trojan and you can find it on plenty of security databases. I mean I just call everything a virus because I'm not anal about what type of thing infects my computer.

Alright, I'm done dealing with your fanboyism.

17. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #257 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 28, 2012
    And you forgot to add... A Trojan is NOT anywhere close to a virus. Two completely different, uncomparable things. It's not a security risk unless you install it by putting in your password. And it can't spread itself to other connected computers. Next time, make sure your so called research isn't just a load of bull crap and hearsay.

And it seems you still haven't read the definition of a fanboy. Google it. Not that difficult you know.

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Like I just said, I'm not anal about what infects my computer. Geez, are you serious? Sorry i wasn't specific about the worms, viruses, and trojans. All can enter and infect your computer.

Kewl kids rule

19. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Again proves how much you know about what you talk here. Trojan cant enter unless you invite it in. Not sure why you are so anal about win 8 devices then. The diffence between an iPad and windows 8 is not even a tenth of virus and Trojan horse. Both can compute!

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009