Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Hello crazy intruder. Please state your OS & device of choice before entering this thread. And this entertainment can't be had for free. Please deposit 15 cents in goofy's account for his comedic performance today. I think he deserves it!

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    OMG! What happens after you invite someone into your house. They enter!

The iPad is a toy, but you can call it more.

Oh yeah, still virus free on my sub par Windows 7 computer. Me no need look at (you know what).

3. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Virus = someone entering your house without your knowledge, stealing and destroying your stuff and then moving on to the neighbours house again without his knowledge.

Trojan Horse = You go to a bad neighbourhood intentionally. A thief tells you that he's the king of UK and asks you to take him home. You say yes without bothering to check if he IS the king and he steals your stuff. You say no, he goes away.

Security risk? Yes if you are careless/dumb. Same as virus? Not even the close.

And look how clueless you've gotten. Dont have any idea what you're talking about. To the point that you forgot its you who started the virus discussion. Few posts later, you just assumed it was me who said that windows sucks coz it has viruses while macs dont. No such thing happened dear. Wake up. I didn't say anything about win 7 being sub par or it's virus issues. Coz I dnt even know. Unlike you, I keep my moth shut about shit I dnt care about or know about.

And I'm the unreasonable fanboy? Lmao. What exactly are you smoking today? I'd love to have some!

4. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    I love Colbert. :p

Man, I'm sorry I missed this 'til now. I think GoofyJ has come down with Brett Favre syndrome.

Furthermore:

The iPad and its library of apps are more than apt to do as much "real work" as any other personal computer or tablet. It's not entirely the device, but the software support and what the user can do with it that counts. Naturally, the iPad would not exactly be suited to graphic design or 3D modeling. Then again, nor would any tablet and most notebooks be, either. Claiming the iPad cannot do real work is only suited to certain professionals and those who have personal vendettas against a certain product for little to no reason. Wait a second... I think that's called a... fanboy. Oops.

IMNS, a trojan can still be very harmful to your computer and your personal information. while it doesn't spread like a wildfire and it does require a little more action on the user's part for it to take hold of the computer, it's still classified as a harmful bit of software, and spotting a trojan is not always as easy as you may think. However, it is notable that the last serious security threat on a Mac was in 2010, as GoofyJ listed. (I don't know if that claim was true or not and I can't be bothered to check.) Windows computers are available to be taken over by any number of viruses every day, although the free program Windows Security Essentials is quite proficient at protecting your computer from all threats. And it's official, too, so little detriment to overall performance to maintain. Just thought I'd throw my own view in. Not that it'll be seen in the conflagration of bickering.

5. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Spotting a Trojan? Dont download apps from untrusted websites. That was difficult I guess. And in either case, it's not a virus. Virus spreads automatically. Trojan doesn't classify as one.

6. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Didn't say it was a virus. And if you wanna get technical, hundreds of "trusted" websites have been known to become compromised once in a while. It's rare to pick up anything you don't want under such a situation, but it's still possible that download links on previously protected sites will lead you to unwanted versions of your software.

Again, I'm on your side. I just think it's a little general to say you'll only ever get a trojan if you're inept. Hackers get to trusted sites all the time; it's not too much of a stretch to assume that downloaded .exe files (and whatever it is for a Mac) will become compromised as well under foreign control.

http://www.protectmac.com/news/index_files/0b33b88239ce689af006aec1a1560f01-56.html

7. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #267 ImNoSuperMan, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    Yeah, not saying you did. Goofy did and I just picked on his umpteenth goof up in this thread. :p

And MAS is the way to go if you think you can't spot a Trojan. 100% protection now!

Edit: lol @ flash. Disabled it from my mac years ago. There's never been a shittier software out there.

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    #268 New England Gamer, Feb 28, 2012
    Please do read the link that I posted before - apple.com/business and then please let me know if you think the iPad is still "just" a toy.

Or this article from Pharma News:

(sorry I can't link it, you have to be a subscriber to read it)

I am not sure why you are digging your heels in on that one cuz I see thousands of people who would never ever consider the iPad a toy. Or how about the business people that are demanding that their companies adopt the iPad and iPhone instead of their current tablets and phones so they can look like they are current in technology so their clients don't look at them as archaic.

Eh whatever, it seems like real world facts and real life occurrences aren't going to hold a candle in your mind to general internet comments and speculation.

(edit: please read these comments not as arguments but trying to point out that there are lots and LOTS of people that will disagree with your "toy" assessment; perhaps you need to have some actual life experience to understand that a device can be a workhorse all day and then something for the kids to play with when you get home at night)

9. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    No joke about Flash being a hog. I just put it as an example that the general public might consider as a safe download.

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    If you guys think the iPad can be used for real work then who am I to say differently.

11. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Glad you came around. Honestly, when I go into the business world, I'd aim for a notebook first as a business device if I had a choice. But I know of several individuals who accomplish a lot of work on an iPad using a variety of productivity apps. It's not impossible to do what you need to if there's the software support to do it, and the iPad certainly has that.

12. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yeah, you can use an iPad for work or a business, but more often than not they make a clumsy replacement for a desktop (or even a laptop). There are a lot of useful apps on the iPad, but they shouldn't be considered an out of the box feature (or even a feature at all- the apps themselves, not the fact that they can be downloaded). Plus, by saying an iPad is more versatile than other tablets, you ignore the fact that there isn't anything stopping app developers from making Android and Windows Tab apps similar to those on the iPad. I don't think tablets are bad, but the alternatives are often better, and only certain jobs are easily accomplished with tablets. Tablets are great for entertainment and as a companion device to your computer, but a tablet by itself isn't that great (unless you don't have a computer- it's better than nothing).

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Dostoyevsky wrote Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, and The Brothers Karamazov (among other works) with a fountain pen on loose sheets of paper.

Just something to ponder for those asserting which 21st century wonder gadget can, or cannot be used for productivity.

14. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    #274 DistantJ, Feb 28, 2012
    I am actually going to pull my hair out in a minute. Maybe I should report the topic to a mod to get it back on topic?

And please stop calling me 'pro-Apple', I don't even use an iPad, I use an Android tablet. And my laptop is Windows. Apple are an excellent brand and the other companies are only creating these devices because Apple did, but I'm not 'pro' or 'anti' anything, if I like a device and can make use of it I'll get it. People get so pissed at Apple that you get labelled a fanboy just for owning a product. My Mac is better for my work; I use a Mac. I find my iPhone much more efficient for day-to-day use than any Android device; I use an iPhone. I prefer Android's OS for tablets; I use an Android tab. I think Mac helps my work but I use a Windows laptop because I didn't think it was worth the extra cost to have a Macbook as well as an iMac. But I'm still apparently an Apple fanboy, becuase I have some products of theirs. I'm sure people using other devices feel somehow threatened by Apple or something to get so pissed like this all the time, and then they start using words like 'toy' to try to intimidate us. It's hilarious and ridiculous. You wanna carry a whole computer around in your pocket with more features than you'll ever need on a phone but whose app store is full of nothing but amateur homebrew apps with no moderation be my guest but don't rant at me for choosing the other option.

The amount of work that can be done on a tablet isn't anything to do with the OS, it's about the form factor (no mouse and keyboard) and the available apps. Wait until you get a Win 8 tablet and you'll see, you won't get any major work done on it unless it's docked to the keyboard and mouse - i.e. for productivity use your PC. It won't be any better or worse than an iPad or Android tab.

Good post!

@ImNoSuperMan Goofy is just getting frustrated with you because you're winding him up. Don't try to take the moral high ground and act like the reasonable one now when you got him to this point by doing nothing but sarcastically agreeing with everything he posted, repeatedly.

Goofy's right to say the iPad is mostly for consumption, but that doesn't mean 'ooh it's my doohickey which plays movies and music and whatnot', in work and business, computer is to create, tablet is to display. If Win 8 is as functional as he says, it's going to be too bloated for a useful tablet, but from what I've seen, it's going to be no better or worse than any other tablet OS. I can see its advantages over iPad, but not over Android 3+ since that has a fully accessible file system etc. like any Windows computer.

This is like saying the best games console doesn't depend on what games are out for it. Cause, ya know, developers COULD make games for each console, if they wanted to. So the Nintendo Wii isn't outdated, because if they wanted to, devs COULD put Skyrim and whatnot on it if they cut back enough. Sorry but bad argument!

15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Do you really believe that or are you trying to convince yourself?

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #276 GoofyJmaster., Feb 28, 2012
    Here's what I'll say about Macs. Yes, they are nice over priced computers. However, there are plenty of ppl who get them and have to run parallels, bootcamp, or a VM. Most say that it's better to just get a Windows computer, especially after they hit a roadblock. As far as productivity, I've used both Windows and OSX, but I feel more productive on Windows. This may just be because of personal taste and familiarity. And trust Macs definitely have a lot of other faults for being priced so high. Don't get me wrong, PCs have their issues too.

My iPhone (and now my iPod) aren't streamlined, but have apps. Most of them aren't intuitive or near stable enough for me to be close to satisfied.

This is why I'm choosing WP over iOS. And Android is a joke, but I'd rather have that OS instead of iOS. This plus some other stuff! Just chalk it up to personal taste and being absolutely fed up with iOS and android.

The iPad is limited and has an app burden just like the smaller devices. And its mobile OS is still limited. At least it is for my uses. At most it's an expensive companion device, and that's how most ppl seem to be using it. Either that or as a non-dedicated gaming system or a 10" TV...seriously!?

About the Slate 7--which is pretty much a prototype in so many respects--it seems to be living up to people's expectations from what I've seen. I read IMNS's Engadget article (http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/samsung-series-7-slate-pc-review/#disqus_thread), and all it did was make me stand stronger in my conviction.

Engadget said they got three and a half hours, which is what I get out of my current laptop at moderate to high usage with the setting pretty much at full blast. the thing is there are sooo many report of this thing getting up to 5 hours. But I guess comments and user reviews bear no weight, huh? There's also been ppl saying that with light usage and the sleep mode, they can get throughout the day.

If i can get 5 hours of moderate to high usage on the go that's enough for me. If I'm on the go for longer than 5 hours, and it's not a road trip, I'm probably not going to be using anything that is bigger than my phone anyways.

Also, you can buy a lightweight keyboard case for those times you need it to act more like a laptop.

*Engadget pretty much put this tablet on a whole 'nother level.

**And FYI, battery life is "subjective".

***And I still find the whole malware thing pretty funny. It's not that hard to understand. The more popular Macs get, the more hackers will see the potential in fully exploiting the system. *Look up Charlie Miller and his hacking of the Mac.

17. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    @Goofy: Excellent that you have your mind made up; excellent that you know what you want. Differences and diversity makes the world go round. And competition makes for better products. That's why there are laws against companies holding monopolies.

My question then - why are you on these forums when they cater to what is to you clearly inferior devices. The games must have something if you write reviews about them and purchase them. Have a blog with another forum member writing reviews? Why not eliminate the entire platform from your life and move on? You severely derailed this thread into something it was SO not. And why? The question I posed but you never answered - to argue just to argue? To troll just to troll? You made empty threats of not posting that never materialized. You call people that own Apple products fanboys, but what of yourself? Game Center fanboy? Win 8 fanboy?

I just don't know what satisfaction you can be getting at this point either here in this thread or on these forums period. If it is to irritate and entertain people then mission accomplished.

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #278 GoofyJmaster., Feb 28, 2012
    @New England Gamer

I like gaming on the iOS because I see it as the best mobile platform. Once Win8 steps it crap up, I sure as hell will be ridding myself completely of iOS. Plus, there's way too many problems in the gaming area of iOS too. If it wasn't for the surprise games/developers, I'd have walked away a while ago.

Hell, I don't even know why I entertain the forums sometimes. there seems to be a lot of self entitlement running amuck if you ask me, but there are the good days that unfortunately bring me back.

Off topic: the thread was called Are you getting an iPad 3? No...here's why...debate/discussion. It all correlates IMHO. The only thing that might be really off topic is PC vs mac, but isn't the ecosystem that you're in part of it too? Maybe not!

Game Center fanboy? Maybe! I still buy plenty of games without GC.

Win8 fanboy! Maybe! However, i'm not blind and if I saw a true reason to switch over to Mac I would. But for the price and flaws it's not worth it. If I saw a use in the iPad I would have bought my own GoofyJmaster's iPad. hell, I was even excited when they came out, but soon realized I'd be buying a $500 complementary device...if that.

I also don't want to be locked into--or have to deal with-- Apple's ecosystem.

19. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes, debate / discussion - not hammer your opinion down everyone's throat several times per page of this thread. There are obvious flaws with your opinion and many have tried to get you to see another point of view but you have dug yourself into your speculative opinion so deeply you refuse to see it. Your failure to see this has decreased any credible argument you might have started with. Now, you look foolish and yes, fan boyish - and will repeat - trollish. And honestly, I looked at your opinions about games before this thread as adding some value to my decision to purchase a game or not. But now? I probably won't take them into account seeing to what ridiculous extremes you can bring a "debate/discussion."

And notice I said opinion - the many that use iPad have one and the many that use another tablet have one. Each is entitled to it. The thread itself might be speculative to whether one is getting an iPad 3 and why / why not but it certainly isn't supposed to be the latest boxing match on pay per view.

20. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #280 GoofyJmaster., Feb 28, 2012
    You're right, I still don't see the flaws in my opinion.

And I've used as many platforms/devices as my resources allow. Whether it be mine, a stores, a family members, a friends, or my college. Or online reviews from users or official sites.

What I'm not seeing is how a iPad is more than what it is a mobile device made mostly for consumption. Yes, it has apps but--come on, seriously--they're better than a full blown OS with adequate power. All people have said is that there are some apps that can do some stuff. Again, I know that. And you can watch 10 hours of movies on a 10" screen. $500 well spent. The only other things, I see is that itcan be good for flash cards, but why not use a phone. Oh yeah, e-reading and light browsing. This I'll never understand for the average person. I think the average was 10 books per year for ppl that actually decide to read.

Most people I know, or hear about, don't use it as a replacement. But the Slate has that potential, which has been pretty much confirmed on plenty of websites, blogs, and user reviews.

At this point, I'm just speculating windows 8 and its impact. However there are plenty of pple with dev previews and the consumer preview should be here tomorrow.