Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, where's the $700 coming from!?

I am an iPad virgin. Saved up enough for an iPad 2 at launch, but found more necessary things to spend my money on at the time. I've been putting off getting an iPad 2 for about 4 or 5 months now, because I know I'd probably be disappointed when the 3 comes out! So, I have £400 sitting in my bank account now, just waiting for Apple to give the go-ahead... and then I'll pounce.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apple has been very consistent when it comes to pricing their products, I'm not sure what reason there is to think that there won't be a low-end $500 iPad 3.

3. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Absolutly not. I have an iPad2 and I am very happy with it. I don't care for an iPad with a retina display right now. Infinity Blade 2 was the first game that had a special feature for the A5-Chip (and that was last Dec?) and right now I don't see any other games where an iPad2 wouldn't be "enough".

4. RAoM_games

RAoM_games Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Italy
    I'm not sure iPad 3 would add to my package because I have a brand new MacMini + one iPod touch 4g. The important matter at stake for me is some magazines from all around the world, which are deployed to iPad only.

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #25 dumaz1000, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    The high-end wi-fi model. I suppose you could get lesser storage, but 16 GB of space is going to run out real fast. If you're not using the iPad 2 for the higher-caliber games, then its sorta a waste. I don't see why you would buy an iPad to play Angry Birds on. Some of the more Premium games can be bloated in terms of their size. Especially Gameloft games like Modern Combat, or, Rage HD, or Infinity Blade 2, or the Bard's Tale. If you want an iPad for the purposes of serious gaming, the extra storage space is going to cost you. If you're not interested in serious gaming, then I don't think there's much of a reason to buy an iPad, even at the base price, which is $500. That's too expensive for a tablet if you're not a gamer. But a gamer needs more then 16 GB of space.

So really, it's $600 or $700, here in the U.S., for a 32 or 64GB model, but the taxes on $600 will spike up almost to $700. If you buy a screen protector, you probably will hit 700, for 32GB. That is the top model, of course. When the iPad 3 comes out, you'll get the iPad 2 cheaper. I don't know how it works elsewhere, but official retailers in the U.S. Pretty much aren't allowed to discount these thingsvat all if they are new. On the resell market, maybe you can find a better deal. Walk into a store of any kind and you are paying this price.

Anyway, the 32GB model is costing you pretty close to $700. Maybe $660-ish, before accessories of any kind. A good screen protector in stores here run around $25. Online, maybe you get buy some cheap knock off brand, if you trust that sort of thing. So now we're looking at around $690. Taxes vary though, so it depends on where you live. I suspect most states are in the .9c a dollar range. Admittedly, I have exactly looked that up. In California, a new 32GB iPad purchased from an official retailer with a reliable screen protector will cost you $680-690 range.

Bottom line, the investment is worth it only if the software rises up to match the hardware's potential, regardless of haggling over an extra $20. Apple has no control over that and perhaps they should. No company other than Apple would prop up what they contend is a serious piece of gaming hardware without getting involved first hand in gaming development. Imagine how screwed Sony or Nintendo would be in their handheld gaming efforts if they did not supply their platforms with first-party games. If Apple wants optimized gaming, they should get in there and do it themselves. If they don't do it, there's no guarantee that anyone else will. Maybe other third-party developers will pick up the ball for Apple, and maybe they won't.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Oh. Um.

[​IMG]

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle

I have an iPhone as well, and I've been doing quite alright with a 16GB and on average ~9 GB of music. 16GB is more than enough for gaming, unless you're going to store movies/music/etc on it.

I could see myself using it to play lots of videos/movies, but listening to music on an iPad if you have an iPhone/iPod is just silly, imo.

8. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

My 16GB iPhone ran out of space long ago, after updating to iOS5 and having my sync screwed up (i.e. a bunch of stuff deleted) I've been getting along fine since I also started to play less. If you play a lot it'll be good to have at least 32GB I would say, with some games taking up few hundred MB. That and watching videos on an iPad makes the size upgrade worthwhile.

As of now I replaced my iPhone with another phone since the battery was dying, and I was thinking of getting an iPad 2 (always wanted an iPad) or iPod Touch for my iOS needs. As it turns out after taking it off the grid my iPhone is pretty much back to normal so I might get an iPad 3 instead depending on the price and specs.

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    16gb would be completely worthless to me I find 64gb way to small for my needs , Apple should really just do a Sony and cash in on memory cards they would probably sell more app's as well.

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
  11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I want to, but doubt my parents will buy... We're not the most rich you know and I have two other sisters too :p

12. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    @EchoSeven: I can't help but notice that they do not specify apps as something they can store...

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

What do you keep on your device that 64GB is "way too small?" I've got tons of games, apps, a few movies and more music and podcasts than I can listen to in my life and I'm using just under 20GB.

14. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Why would you buy an iPad 3 for gaming? If you're lucky, 3 games out of a year will utilize its power.. Doesn't seem like a very smart purchase.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You realize that someone has said this about every revision of iOS hardware, right?

16. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Now there are better alternatives for gaming. That's a huge price for something that may have up to 5 games throughout its lifespan that really utilize its power before its next "revision".

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Like what?

18. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    If the rumours turn out to be true, iPad 3 will be a beast. Have had the iPad 2 since launch and it is an all-round entertainment device like no othe - faster with better graphics and a better screen?

Fry_take_my_money.jpeg

19. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well this is the state of my iPod at the minute and I've a lot of thing's unticked in iTunes as well including videos and some of the larger games.

[​IMG]

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    LOL THE PS VITA OFC.

*inserts massive troll face*

What a joke.